Register now to get rid of these ads!

50's Drag Racing Videos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyRat, Sep 12, 2009.

1. fitzee

fitzee

man this is some cool stuff. Going back to look agian.

2. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

#11 has been posted. First few seconds of video is around 1962 with Widdle White Wabbit running down the track at Green Valley Raceway. It then goes into Green Valley Raceway from what I believe to be 1966 / 1967. There is a wild looking dual engine FED about 50 seconds in, Widdle White Wabbit, Vance Hunt's black FED, Mayhew & Dyer and a few cars out of Houston. Next few videos will be from this time period at Green Valley.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. stevilknievel

stevilknievel

I would agree! AWESOME!

4. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey chevy rat...thanks for sharing. the wabbit was at t.d.o.d. this year. you have some of the very first pics. of drag racing! you must be very proud of your elders, iam just as proud of you. my fello texan, your new friend in waxahachie tx. call me pop...or the old FART! HA!

5. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Seriously get this footage burned onto DVDs and sell copies!I'll take 2 I know one will get wore out!

6. shane85

shane85

cool stuff man.

7. i love stuff like this thanks so much for putting this in digital format i'd buy a dvd to if you make some and i know quite a few people from the uk would aswell

thanks again!

8. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

Hey Pop,

I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time around my grandfather and his friends growing up. I have fond memories of sitting in their race cars when I was a kid. They were truely the grass roots of this sport. Only one of the original group is still alive today and I make it a point to visit with him as much as possible. I can sit there for hours listening to his stories about when they got started racing.

I was at the DOTD with my truck this year. We'll be heading to the Texas THAW up in Denton next. Got some good video coming up next from the Green Valley Raceway AHRA World Championship Drags (66/67). Enjoy

9. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

#12 has been posted.

GREEN VALLEY RACEWAY AHRA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP DRAGS!!!!!!

Not exactly sure what year, but either 1966 or 1967 I believe. Roy Thigpen in "The Jumpin Jimmy", The Burgandy Bandit, Ayers & Stroud, Byrds Automotive out of Ft. Worth and Art Malone wrecks his FED.

If any has any information to help me narrow down what year this is, please let me know. I would also like to identify more of the drivers and their cars in all of the videos.

10. Wow...really cool....THANKS for taking the time to post these!
    Skot

11. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

TEXAS TIMING ASSOCIATION

The Texas State Championships will be held Sunday, November 1st, at Northstar Dragway on I-35 in Denton, TX. It is the revival of a famous event first held at Caddo Mills Dragstrip more than 50 years ago. It will be an all-inclusive major drag race embracing every traditional style of drag race car: dozens of street-driven pre-'64 Traditional Hot Rods, plus all the Gassers, Super Stockers, Altereds, Fuel Funny Cars, Junior Fuel Dragsters, and Top Fuel Dragsters it takes to make this the don't-miss-it final national event of the season.

12. roadster-racer

roadster-racer
    from Austin, TX

Finally had a quiet hour before dawn this morning when I could sit back and look at this rare footage. Awesome! I was there at many of those Green Valley races, and even ran in a lot of 'em. Saw a lot of hot cars I remember and cool people I knew.

Thanks for all this. Let's keep this spirit alive. Some of the people and cars in this video will be running at the Texas State Championship race at Northstar Dragway in Denton this Sunday. Gates at 9 AM, time trials at 10, cacklefest and presentation of a Lifetime Achievement Award to Bobby Langley at noon, followed by eliminations. More details at http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405871 ,
    or on www.texastiming.com.

13. Koolman

Koolman

WOW!!! That was fun. Time capsules. Great fun on a very snowy Colorado day!

14. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

I've had so many request for these vidoes on DVD, I guess I'm going to have to give in to the pressure. I'll start getting them into a DVD format.

15. autobilly

autobilly

16. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Judging by the number of weedsprayer headers and the version of the Burgandy Bandit, arguably one of the most beautiful race cars ever built, I'd wildly guess 1966 rather than '67. I think in '67 Daubler and Tidwell built a AA/F Chrysler powered Bandit and promptly sold it. The new owner wrapped it around a light pole on his first pass, a sight I was unfortunate enough to witness. However, I could easily be off a year.

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow how did I miss this.....awesome.

18. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Outstanding! Put me down for a couple.

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Please put me on the li$$$t also.

20. Put me down for three DVDs!! Mike

21. Please put me on 'the list'. Outstanding....subscribed....

22. Herdez

Herdez

Add me to the DVD sale too! Best stuff yet!

23. autobilly

autobilly

I'm there, please.

24. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Pardon my dumb question, but does Wichita mean Wichita, KS or Wichita Falls, TX?

I know how you Texans (I'm one, just displaced) often refer to Wichita Falls as just Wichita. Unfortunately, they are both flat and windy, and I'm sure the "open spaces" have changed drastically in 50+ years. There were drag races held at McConnell Air Force Base Wichita, KS during that time period.

25. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Pardon my dumb question, but does Wichita mean Wichita, KS or Wichita Falls, TX?

I know how you Texans (I'm one, just displaced) often refer to Wichita Falls as just Wichita. Unfortunately, they are both flat and windy, and I'm sure the "open spaces" have changed drastically in 50+ years. There were drag races held at McConnell Air Force Base Wichita, KS during that time period.

26. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

Awesome!
    I want a DVD.....BAD!!!!

27. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

First sentence of this thread:

"Have few video's from my grandfather and his friends drag racing around Texas."

28. customcory

customcory

:DIncredible Videos , the cars are so nice! Unbelievable! Im really happy you put this stuff on:D:D:D

29. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

when they hittin the streets?

be sure to come up with a retail and wholesale price

30. Shiftee

Shiftee