Register now to get rid of these ads!

50's Cadillac Experts, Need Kickdown Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ownerizer, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

I have a 1953 Series 62 with the 331 and factory auto trans. It's my understanding that it is a 2pd trans, a Hydromatic? Is my understanding that there was a fire at the transmission plant around this time, so some cars that were supposed to get 3spd Hydroglides? Ended up getting 2spd Hydromatics. Now my names may be incorrect, but here's my question.

Anyways, here's my question, is there an easy way to tell which transmission I have, and the specs on it. I just adapted an Edelbrock 1406, I have the throttle linkage easily solved, however the kickdown cable has me kind of stumped, because I have no idea the specifications for the kickdown cable.

Does anyone know at what point is the trans supposed to change gears? I've read other sources that weren't really definite, that maximum extension of the kickdown cable was WOT, and to get the rest of the downshifting was jut trial and error. Does anyone have some input?

2. Sonny Day Out

Sonny Day Out

All,

Buick Dynaflows replaced 4 speed Hydromatics in Cadillacs after a fire at GM's Hydromatic factory in 1953 only !

Someone else will be on to answer your other questions !

Good Luck,
    Sonny

3. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

Thanks for sorting that out Sonny, I just read an earlier thread on Hydromatic vs Dynaflow transmissions, the big difference being coolant lines routed to the trans to help cool it. If the lines exist, it is a Dynaflow.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

As for the kickdown, without having it in front of me it is hard to give you an accurate answer, but here is what I would do. You want the pull to mimick the pull it got from the original carb. You might have to bolt the old one back on and cycle it through it's travel, making note of where it ends up when wide open. Once you know that you can duplicate the same amount of travel on the Edelbrock carb, which could be as simple as putting the kickdown rod into the bottom hole of the arm, or it may take some fabrication work to achieve the correct distance.

Don

5. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

6. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co