Register now to get rid of these ads!

50's 60's tilt column splines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mbmopar, Jun 25, 2008.

1. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

wondering of anyone knows if 50's and 60's cars share similar sizes of steering column splines?

I have a 59 plymouth wheel ( from my Grandfathers 1959 Plymouth Plaza taxi cab - drive it for one week with the "fancy" wheel until the dealer got the plain jane wheel in the car was supposed to be built with.......it sat in the box for almost 30 years in the attic of the old garage he used to park in til my Dad asked me if i wanted it.uhh, yes ! ) and it's like brand new !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and a 65 Dodge wheel and wondering if they'll fit a 65 GM tilt column ?

Bothe the wheels are not tilt wheels.........and i can't check the fit, the column is for sale on the net.

I undertsnd that Chrysler used Saginaw tilt columns in the early 60's?

anyone run across this before?
    txs,
    Derek

2. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

My stock '48 Chevy steering wheel popped right on an '85 S-10 column. I had to remove the back dome shaped portion and the horn spring stuff, but it went right on. I just mounted a horn button on the dash.

I think it's gonna be one of those "You'll never know unless you try" deals. You'll have to size up what your willing to ditch if it don't drop into place and go from there. Hope this helped a little.

3. GM used the same size shaft and spline count from the '30s to the '90s if not later.

Chrysler used a larger shaft until 1962-63, then went to a smaller shaft. I never thought to cross-check if the later one is the same as GM; I just noticed the difference trying to pull '60 versus '63 Chrysler steering wheels. I don't think the older wheels will fit a GM or even later Mopar column.

So far as I know it was AMC who used GM columns, in the '70's.