Register now to get rid of these ads!

$500 Barn Find Arrived today!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corndog, Dec 16, 2011.

1. jazzbum

jazzbum

i don't know what the market's like there, but out here you would be able to triple your money in a weekend with that thing. personally, for $500 i'd just have to keep it for a project sometime down the line. whatever you do, don't blow it apart, too nice. great find!

2. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

Chop it! :D

It is a cool find, but how exactly do people go about "finding" these things? You don't just poke around in every barn you find do you? :confused:

3. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

It's got that Eisenhower Administration vibe going on. Scrub it up and look at it again,you may change your mind.

4. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

Great find, thanks for sharing! It doesn't look to bad from here. I agree with everybody else, get it in somebody's hands that will get it back on the road.

5. garcoal

garcoal

if you cant fix why did you buy it, way to nice a car to part . or are you just fishing for a buyer

6. Looks like a 53 to me too, but looks like a 6v batt, 53 was 1st year for 12v! Another GM Mystery???

7. fireman 55

fireman 55

Great save, i vote keep her. A cad is always cool no matter how many doors it has.

8. Royalscadillacs

Royalscadillacs

I wish I found cars like this for $500!

9. Damn! I really like that. My Dad always drove Cadillacs 49 through early 50's when I was a kid. He swore it was the best car ever made. I'm not big on 4-doors but for some reason Caddy's are an exception. If it were closer to me I'd be really interested.

Oh yeah, please don't part it out.

10. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

great find, I have a 52 coupe shell on frame , that was in a barn since 1958. I used it for a parts car for a convertible that I restored. I have the coupe body firewall back, less drivers side 1/4 panel, no seats. with my Coupe shell your car would be a sweet mate. I am in central N.Y. , Dave

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Personally , I love the early 50's Caddy's and I love the fordors too ! They make great cruisers and are well worth fixing .
    As for your 52 , all I see is bad rockers . I would guess the floors might be bad but they are easy to weld since they are flat . I can bet you that paint will polish up to .
    If it was mine I would replace the rockers and what other rusted metal it might have , rebuild that engine and just cover the seats with something and drive that car and enjoy it . Damn car is complete ! For the $500 you have in it plus a tow , you should keep it !

WHAT EVER YOU DO , DON'T PART ANYTHING OUT ON THAT CAR !

It's hard to find a 52 Caddy in that condition with all the parts ! Clean it up and put a price tag on it . DON'T get greedy and it will sell fast !
    I would love to see a fellow HAMBer get it !

Just my opinion !

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !

12. Johnny Switchblade

Johnny Switchblade
    from Upstate NY

Wash it and keep it right where it is for a couple weeks. Give the neighbors something to yakity yak about.

13. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I bought it to avoid the scrapper from getting it. I also bought two other cars (a 41 Ford sedan and a 40 Studebaker Champion)from the same farm for the same reason. The other two have both been outside in the elements for 35 years but there are still some good parts on both. By now everyone knows I buy and sell old car parts, so yes I will try to make a profit on all of them. But I do not do body work and that is the main reason I would not attempt to get the caddy going. I will do my best to sell the caddy as a complete unit. But if no-one steps up to buy it as a whole, eventually I will sell parts off it to get my investment back. :cool:

14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

$500 is not a investment, it's parking change. Just remove the air cleaner and sell it by itself and then put the car up for sale. Finding complete cars like the caddy is getting to be more rarer and that car is a time capsule. Shame on you if you strip it.

15. fbama73

fbama73

Pick a price and put it in the classifieds. I showed my wife the pictures, and she informed me that I'm interested. It all depends on price, of course.

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"I bought it to avoid the scrapper from getting it."

If you part it out, you're essentially "scrapping" it. The car is WAY to straight and complete to part out. Should be a builder. There's already plenty of 53 Caddy parts and parts cars around.

"But I do not do body work and that is the main reason I would not attempt to get the caddy going. I will do my best to sell the caddy as a complete unit."

What body work? That car looks pretty damn straight (original paint?). Good glass, trim, bumpers, etc. Probably never wrecked. 99% complete, all original. Its a 60 year old car and needs rockers like most any other 60 year old car does.

Flip it as is or fix the water pump, radiator, etc. and clean it up and drive it to a couple of shows with a For Sale sign in the window.Patience; it'll sell.
    I understand you part out cars, but think you're way too eager to start peeling chunks off this Caddy for $100 a shot.
    Sell it whole, make an easy profit you can reinvest and make someone happy-all w/o having to get out your wrenches and torch.

17. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

Its your car do what you want. Parting it out is better than the scrapper or sitting there rotting for another 25 years. Im sure you won't have a problem selling it complete. I sold a 49 pontiac that had no floors and no interior for 2500.00 in the matter of 2 weeks. Your is a Caddy, it will go quick.

18. Anderson

Anderson

19. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I say cut the roof off and fill it with scantily clad hoochies.

Ain't my mofuggin' Cadillac....

20. Yep, another vote here for keeping it together. A bloody stunning looking car. Wish it was mine. $500 = bargain!

21. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Jeeze! that's too rough for you to fix??? Looks like some minor rot on the rockers, but otherwise mint, i'd have it running and in primer in a week! a couple more weeks and it'd be in paint

22. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Depending on the condition of the interior ect, if it's ratshitted out, I wouldn't have a huge problem parting out that 4 door. Even with one's own labor it will cost more to get it up than it's worth when you're done. If it will run, let that sweet 331 have a home in some A coupe, front clip can go to save a coupe or drop top. Just my 2 cents

23. darkk

darkk

To bad you're so far away, that would be my wifes next daily driver!

24. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Exactly what I am thinking! Pictures do not tell the whole story and just about anything can be saved with enough effort. But the interior IS full of holes, rat-crap, and stinks. The motor IS questionable if it runs, and body DOES need more than rockers I am pretty sure. When I open the hood I can feel the metal being weak from sitting so long. I would gladly take $1500 for the car as it sits, but I am betting there are no takers. I think it worth more as parts than it is as a whole.

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

So put it in the classifieds and sit back and wait for offers.

26. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

So are you into old cars or are you into making money and watching people drool over what they can't have? Cause I'm pretty sure if you did post up a classified ad this car would sell in about 2 hours.

Good luck with the sale, she is a nice project car for someone.

27. outlaw256

outlaw256

Ok heres my problem, christmas, and i have 2 more projects sitting waiting on me. But if you were closer and it wasnt christmas it would be in my driveway not yours. I like them big old caddys. Prefer 2 dr. But would take 4 dr.but i bet there are other guys out there that are closer to you who have the change .please dont part that old girl out.

28. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

Food for thought...

Attached Files:

29. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

cool find! I'd hose it off, scrub it down and post pics in the for sale section.I'm not a 4 door guy, but that big thing looks 'right' (to me), I'd fix and drive the shit out of it.

30. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

Thanks for sharing the pics. Looks good for the age and storage facility. I bet someone would certainly be willing to take it off your hands and use it as a nice ride. BTW, the air filter is not a batwing (unless you meant it came with an extra filter). The "batwing" was more triangular (like a bat's wing). Not that I am an expert. Good luck!