Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Years the Return to Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bonneville Avanti Dan, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

As many of my fellow HAMBers know I have been entrusted with the care of this World famous Land Speed record holder:
    [​IMG]
    The owner of the car lent the car to me to help me in my fight with cancer and to check off an item from my Bucket List, hence the current name of the car. So now that my bucket list has been checked off I find myslef on a new mission. In researching the history of this car I discovered that this year will mark a significant milestone in the cars history. If a way can be found to get the car to Speed Week in August, the car will have been raced for 50 years. If you know anything about Bonneville and the effects of the salt you know that the mere fact that the car still exists is amazing. That it's still in race condition is even more amazing.

The car was ordered from Studebaker by Bill Burke of Hot Rod Magazine fame in the summer of 1962. It was delivered to the offices of Hot Rod where Bill worked on November 8, 1962. Nine months later in August 1963 Bill drove the car to the first of over 30 records this car has set. He went 147 MPH with a 229 CID Supercharged Studebaker V8. The car continued to set records over the next 8 years and in 1972 the car set the first record over 200 MPH at 221.812. The car still has three records on the books. Bonneville in C/CBFA of 239.208 set in 1979 with Steve Burke at the wheel. El Mirage in E/CBFA at 202.383 set in set in 191977 and E/FCC at 210.770 set in 1981 with Mike Cook at the wheel. Drag racing fans will recognize that name as Mike's dad was none other than Doug "Cookie" Cook of SWC fame. Doug and Mike campaigned this car with Doug building the engines for about 12 years and set over 25 records. The car has recorded speeds of 250 MPH. That is just the condensed version of the history of the car.

So here's the deal! The car is and will officially be "For Sale" at the end of this years racing season. I have the car and it is 95% race ready minus the engine. It will accept any engine but a Hemi would be nice as that is what the car was raced with from 1972 until 2004. I am looking to partner with and indiviual, group or car club (Maybe a cool HAMB project) to finance the return to Bonneville. Do you have an engine or access to one? The ablility to finance the trip? PM me and let's talk. I am open to all ideas, suggestions and questions. Would you like to share driving duties? That's available too. I'm not greedy just looking to complete this Quest. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Dan

2. Good luck, it will be great to see the return to competition.

3. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

That is awesome! I wish you the best of luck!

4. richie rebel

richie rebel

i wish you the best with finance help,that would great to see the car back at the flats

5. Good luck Dan! That is one hell of an offer that someone should take you up on!

6. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Got a call from a guy who has a Viper V10 engine and trans. We are meeting next week to see if we can work something out. That might be a cool looking combo. Also got a message from a guy with an SBC that is asking questions.
    Dan