Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Plymouth Driveline ??? Need Opinions!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CARtoons Magazine, Jun 11, 2013.

1. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

I'm hope'n someone can help me out. I have a 1950 Plymouth 2 door deluxe with a 305/350 turbo w/manual torque converter lockout. I also have done a 8.8 ford rear end swap. The end result seems to be a short drive shaft. The shaft of the slip yoke measures 3.75 inches and when in place, the yoke shaft sticks out of the tranny 2" to 2 1/2" depending on my air ride height. Now I'm hope'n someone with a similar set up found a drive shaft the works best from a certain donor without having to modify the short drive shaft. Any help or info would be highly appreciated. Thanks for reading.:D Marc

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Your best shot is to measure the distance center to center of the universals. Make sure you pull the yoke out of the trans an inch or 2, you don't want the shaft to bottom. This is the length you need. Now go junk yard shopping. Don't forget you have to have the right size universals at both ends. Some big junk yards used to have piles of drive shafts you could look through.

3. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Bite the bullet, and have a driveshaft made to your measurements. The chances of you finding just the right driveshaft in a scrap yard are slim. Not saying it's impossible, but your time is worth considering, and you might spend many days in your search. You can probably have a driveshaft built for your application for around $200 or less. Good luck.

4. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

What i need is, from center universal to center universal, to be 56 1/4. I checked with a local shop and they can order me a slip yoke with a shaft that is 1 1/4 longer then what I have. Will the longer yoke work with no problems?

5. George

George

Put your yoke all the way in the tranny untill it stops. Pull it back out one inch. Measure from the center of the joint to the flat on the U joint flange on the axle. That's the lenth you need.

6. kool32

kool32
    from Kentucky

Not to disagree with anyone, I found it better to talk with the shop that is going to make the drive shaft and what measurements they want. Ask for USA parts and specify no CHINESE SHIT

7. Jbuhl1954

Jbuhl1954

Ya man just get your driveline made!! I had this process done for a truck of mine and it was well worth the time saved!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. supervert

supervert

I had the one in my plymouth made at Sacramento driveline, it was about 250 with all new parts and that was with a new yoke. And it was a long shaft so it is 3" tube. For what it cost I wouldn't mess with trying to find something that might work. The only thing that I wish that I would of done, was make it a two piece.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You MUST not let the yoke bottom out in the trans no matter how big a bump you hit or how much the engine torques over. Drive shaft must be at least one inch too short for safety.

10. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

Thanks for all the advice. Measuring an accurate length is a hard one with air ride. When the car is aired up compared to aired down, there is a 1/2" difference on have far the slip yoke shaft sticks out.

11. kennb

kennb

If you went through all the trouble and expense to put a new drivetrain and air ride why wouldn't you have a proper shaft fabricated? Ken