Register now to get rid of these ads!

$50 paintjob- you gotta see this!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by graverobber63, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Rain_man

Rain_man

hey alfred did you use any primer under that paint and did you have to clear over the top? about how long will a paint job like that last?

2. What the hell does a Dutch Daf (daffodil) do in California ?
    There are only a few left in Holland where they were build new.
    DAF means: van Doorne Automobiel Fabriek
    DAF still is the biggest truck supplier here in Holland, but they don't build cars with the DAF name since 1976 when the car division was sold to Volvo.

3. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

MAN...i love all of these self painted huppy's, thats the way they did it in the 30s and 40s. hell nobody had any bread. then the newer generations got lazy and stopped. those old rust buckets started looking real RATTY. yes sir that's where the term cam from. don't believe me- try and prove me wrong. i'll save you some time-DON'T...POP.

4. slamdpup

slamdpup

does anyone know what can be put on top of this if the car has already been painted with rustoleum before...my car was painted with rusty metal primer by rustoleum and after 3 years im gonna repaint the car and the rusto doesnt hold up very well ,well aleast the rusty metal primer dont..it got a little chaulky..the gloss paint might be better left in the weather..anyone know for sure?.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I read all of these posts looking for that miracle paint for a cheap shop truck etc.

6. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

slamdpup, rusto is just an alkyd enamel. you can put any enamel on top of it. i always paint metal primer on all my cars, no matter what i put on top of it. the problem with rusto is, it doesn't do well after awhile in the weather. this is due to the fact, it doesn't have uv protection in it. you can put an enamel clear over it and that will help. or use an enamel hardener which will help too. i have had earl scheib paint some cars after the primer and it has held up after 8 years and never been garaged.

7. 51fleetline

51fleetline

pretty cool....i dont think i would try it though....

8. bb96

bb96

Hey guys, I've been around too long to believe that dissertation was written by just some guy. It sounds to me like a paint company sales pitch. Besides who is going to sit down and do all that keyboarding, Some of the things were stated over and over. Gimme a break! Bob

9. sickytwisted

sickytwisted

I know that i may as well be a hundred years late but, I agree with bb96. I've painted a lot of things for a very long time. There is too slim a chance of this being the real deal. Just sayin'.

10. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Back in the 70s my friend had a 46 Chevy that needed some paint help. He got 6 of us together and we took off all the chrome, bumpers and trim and started sanding. We rattled canned the bare spots and sanded some more. We drove it down to Earl Schieb and wiped it down with our own cleaner-degreaser and put it in their paint booth. All they did was tape it off and shoot it. Best cheap paint job I had ever seen

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  11. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Tremclad is oil based. Paint with it, and if you ever want to repaint, you'll have to strip it to metal. Ask me how I know this.

12. budd

budd

tremclad comes in both oil and water base now.

13. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

How bout a $17.00 paint job?

Attached Files:

14. slepe67

slepe67

So, does anybody know if you can color-match that paint?

Meaning, I have a cool ass trunklid that I want to paint my car to match. Can you get a paint code and have a paint shop mix it custom???

15. Noname38

Noname38

$17 bucs including removing rust? Hope the price you're selling for matches the $17 paint job.

16. 1929modela

1929modela
    BANNED

U get what U pay for!!

17. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

Anyone here actually try it and have pics?

18. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

My Rustoleum Jag

Attached Files:

19. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I sprayed my 48 with tractor and farm implement paint from tractor supply, 1 gallon of low gloss paint $37, 1 pint of hardener, $8. 1 gallon of reducer free ( I already had it from another project)=
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was too shiney at first and I thought I had made a mistake but it flattened out nicely and is so easy to clean. Just wet and wipe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. erlomd

erlomd

interesting...but I dont think its worth the time and effort...seems like a whole heap of trouble for such a mediocre outcome....Ive never painted a car but I have painted the fenders and tanks on my HD with harbor freight tools and BASF paint and it turned out great...spent about $75 for all the paint supplies and a $20 paint gun from harbor freight
    took it to a local shop to have it wet sanded and buffed for $50 and it turned out spectacular!
    i know its a lot more material, and labor on a car but i think if you prep it right, take your time and spray in a well ventilated area you can have a killer paint job for macco prices.

21. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Actually , it does , I have it for sale , what you see , for $500.00 , if it aint worth that , I'll do the unmentionable , besides , I had to doll it up for the Halloween decoration it's gonna be , it's gonna have the death rider in it , with hay all around it , broken tomb stones , and strob lights and the like on it , settin right on a rural hiway , might draw some attention....:D