Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '50 merc resurrection, sympathy needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anteek49, Oct 31, 2013.

1. anteek49

anteek49

I just pulled a '50 merc tudor out of the woods that I put there temporarily....25 plus years ago. It's gone to do-do big time but i promised a almost stepdaughter that I'd fix it for her many moons ago. it doesn't need to be chopped,just be a 50 footer. I have a set of bumpers to rechrome,a good grill,and glass kit. It doesn't have rockers or salvageable floors. A chassis/floor transplant may be necessary,so open to ideas. Any one ever do one this bad?

2. Got any Pictures?
    From what I can see there's nothing left of it.

Maybe full size GM for frame/floors? Im no merc wiz, but think I heard they are an acceptable swap.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 2racer

2racer

start with a better car...learned the hard way

4. big M

big M

With enthusiasm and a little skill, it can be pulled off. Getting discouraged at the start is no good.

---John

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Pics help, I make floor pan sections for them..Sometimes if you have the funds, more than spare time, its better to start off with something solid.

6. 1959Nomad

1959Nomad

sounds like "the one that got away" from me i started to leavea note with my # and came back a few moths later and it was gone.
    lets see it!

7. slddnmatt for the floor pans, green mountain for the rockers, mercuryland for trunk sections.. by hook and by crook for the rest....there's been a couple builds posted on here covering frame swaps...prostreetjon's got a great list on suppliers

8. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Ya get no sympathy from me for letting a merc rot away...:mad: If you were not going to fix the car you should have sold it to someone that would have....then when you decided to build one buy one...

9. anteek49

anteek49

This car was always used as a donor. The flathead was good and powered one project,the trunklid was rough but used on another car,then a cherry one showed up and went on this. A chassis swap was planned but several better Mercs went thru my hands while this set. Well;the supply of Mercs is very finite and this one will be saved. Finding cars in Florida isn;t like it is in drier states. You haven't driven a sweet Merc until you drive one on a GM chassis.....perfect for a teenager. Anything beats her getting a riceburner!

10. Buy your stepdaughter an older non-riceburner

Unless you have very deep pockets - the cost to build
    it to a safe daily driver will probably be more than you can afford.

Really - you should not have let it sit for 25 years .... :cool:

Jim

11. Don't do a frame swap! Merc frames are pretty heavy duty and will be much less work. Any pic's of the car yet?

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'm sure you're a nice guy, but my sympathy goes to the car for being cast aside to rust for 25 years.

Here goes a lesson to all the guys who won't sell anything because "some day I'm gonna fix it up".

13. bgaro

bgaro

i have one of those made of solid gold, but sorry i don't have any pics either.

14. Sent you an email on any parts you need. Mine is done with the metal work and have a spare car if you need parts. Hit me up

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!