Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 50 merc question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by fastcar1953, Jul 27, 2021.

1. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

A friend of mine owns this merc. He goes to a lot of shows, won some awards. nsra, salina . A lot of small shows. He was at custom car revival, stray kat 500.
    My question is when I see event coverage his car is not posted or is in the background.
    What makes his car not photogenic? 201577835_10226252513685365_2728281301137126573_n.jpg 108908992_3426648470692748_3042641006359708524_n.jpg 154848504_4004678189552336_6055635676986561919_n.jpg

2. My guess would be Personal taste of the photographer and the fact it's now almost a Generic copy of what a Kool Merc should look like. On a personal note I'd say without the wing windows it's just not finished yet so I'd wait till it's done to do a photo layout.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

these are from stray kat and ccr. ccr.jpeg stray kat.JPG

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

One piece glass on sides. I wandered about being to plain jane. A belly button custom I guess. I still really like it. He is a really nice person and built it himself over 5 years. He's happy and I guess that's what matters.
    I just see a lot of cars on here get more coverage at shows.

5. If you want notoriety for building a car I think it needs to have something special about it, not a Me Too version of someone else's car. I have a photo from a calendar I'll guess is 20 years old that could be this same car but isn't. Yes I like it but,,,

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

He's not looking for notoriety. I was just wandering why his car doesn't get noticed. There are some special features like pinstriping and steering wheel, etc.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful car that doesn't have anything that might cause one of us who takes and shares event photos to say "ain't taking a photo of that". That includes the fact that I don't see a show board in front of it which is almost an automatic deal killer with me as far as taking photos. You have a show board out in front of your ride at an outdoor event and you most likely will not see your car in my event coverage.
    The other deal killers for me are:
    people and especially kids sitting in the car,
    clutter around the car such as lawn chairs, coolers or frigging food wrappers.
    People camped in front of the car in lawn chairs.

The guys may have a point in a way in that it looks like too many cars that we have seen before, not a bad thing when they look that good but as a guy who takes a lot of car event photos I tend to skip ones that I have seen before and not post ones that I have previously posted.
    Some times you decide to go cruise around and the photographer just flat misses your car.
    Sometimes one of us did take a few photos but the lighting was wrong or the background was bad and we couldn't edit the photo enough and that includes what it was parked next to. If you are parked next to a Chevy C10 with 22's on it most likely a Hamb photographer isn't going to share the photos here.

Big thing 50 years of hitting rod trots say it isn't worth getting your undies in a wad over. If someone shares a photo, wonderful, if a magazine shows a photo in event coverage, fantastic. but just as expecting awards, don't expect to automatically see the car in coverage of every event it goes to.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.

8. I would say based on these 2 pics, the color is what makes it hard to get a good publishable pic of. Although it's an absolutely gorgeous color, and a gorgeous car it seems to blend into the shadows of the background. Hard to distinguish the roofline from the tree in the first photo and the top/back half of the car blends into the storefronts due to the shadows in the second pic. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car. But It appears to be hard to get a good clear picture of to appreciate the details.

9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

^^^ This. The car is probably photographed a lot but because of this, it does not make the publishing cut. Nothing personal or against the car.
    This car requires perfect lighting to photo well.
    ...It's a beauty.

ffr1222k likes this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]

I thought maybe it's because of the cheesy fox tail. On closer look that's a lady's head.:D:oops::rolleyes:o_O

dana barlow, ffr1222k, X38 and 2 others like this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn’t kiss the a**es of promoters

Woogeroo and Hdonlybob like this.
  12. Why does it have to be published or get coverage ? (Just playing devils advocate)
    you’ve already got pics.
    I dig the car, I guess I just don’t understand the question.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Woogeroo, F-ONE, Pist-n-Broke and 3 others like this.
  13. williebill

williebill

It's a beautiful car. Period. Yeah, it's done in a classic style, but so what. So are most of the black and red 32 roadsters.
    Tell him to not park next to ugly cars, maybe that'll help.

14. Since you asked for a critique.
    If I were an editor, this one issue would help me to choose another car.
    B11917AB-7BA1-4073-8330-44321A34994F.jpeg
    crooked, bent lame car tag.

(Nice car and love the color)

F-ONE likes this.
  15. I have ask were are turn signal's I don't see them on the Front of the
    Car.!

Just asking.???

Just my 3.5 cents, Nice Car

Live L:earn & Die a Fool

16. Engine and interior pics?

17. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I nor him want fame. I just wandered what makes a car stand out. His was just one I knew. I guess I never gave it much attention myself. It stands out at the local shows.
    I get there are no special touches or outlandish paint but it is still a really nice car.
    Others here I see their cars posted by different people all the time.
    Another friend has a panther pink challenger 440 6 pack . It doesn't matter what car is around his , people flock to the pink car. I guess that's the public.

18. Panther pink + 440 6 pack = super rare.
    not a fair comparison.
    Challengers are more well known to the novice car show person. Most muscle cars are. (thanks movies like Fast and Furious)
    Most people couldn’t pic a 50 merc out of a police lineup. Nothing against them, just fact.
    The average person has no clue what has been done to the merc.
    For the people that do, a chopped merc, vintage hubcaps, whitewalls, and Buick side trim is as by the book as a 32 ford with big and littles, dropped straight axle.........
    That’s not an insult to either car. The traditional custom and hot rod has been done thousands of times. That’s also not an insult.
    it’s copied so much because people like the style.
    The Hirohata Merc was just white noise a few years after it was built. Copied countless times then fell out of style. No historical perspective to place it. Ended up on a used car back lot.

If the builder tried to reproduce a traditional custom, he got it.
    But if you have to draw a crowd, add a diesel and roll coal, or shoot flames out the exhaust.
    (sarcasm)
    This car will appeal to a certain crowd like jazz or blues music does for some people.

My old beater bus draws a crowd at a show. Mainly cause it’s different and cartoonish.
    It takes very little brain juice to notice it.
    It wasn’t built to do that. It’s just what I had pictured in my brain.

Enjoy the car. But some things are just over some people’s head or not even on their radar.

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the CCR pic above is from my CCR event coverage. So I took pics of that car and included it in my event coverage. So what is the question???

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I took pic`s of it at the CCR in Indy. I also took pics of it in Salina as well. Front and rear shots both times. In Salina he was under a tree. It shades the car and is hard to get a good pic of it. From those two shows, I`ve taken over 500 pictures(customs only). Maybe more. Yes it is a really nice Merc. Did you attend these shows. Mercs are cool. But at a big show, there are many. Something like 47 in Indy alone. Most were chopped.

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you like Cobras. You take a pic of it at a small show. But if you saw 30 of them at a big show(Ford show) with 1000 cars attending. Would you take a pic of everyone ?

BradinNC and anthony myrick like this.
  22. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

O.k. got it. I don't take pics of some cars. Yes I've been to Salina. I've been to a lot of big shows. I see the same cars over and over or they all look the same. His car just doesn't stand out enough. Just curious what it was.

23. Often they shoot the ones with the extra low stance.

VEDETTE likes this.
  24. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

If I were you?: I wouldn't worry about it. You have a great looking paint job and car. I once was told that my car wasn't photo genic. candy Black Cherry?? It's in the eyes of the guy taking the photo.

25. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

How come we don't see Merc engines in a Merc? This is going in mine. 56 368ci with 8 webers.

Attached Files: