Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Merc/Lincoln, are rear frame & suspension the same?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugman, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Bugman

Bugman

I'm working on a '50 Baby Lincoln. I've read that the Lincoln frame is different from the firewall forward, and that the body is the same from the firewall back, but no one has mentioned the rear frame section. Is the frame the same from the firewall back on the Mercs and Lincolns? As long as I'm asking questions, what is different on the Lincoln's front suspension? Are the parts interchangable with the Merc suspension parts? Thanks for the info.

2. I'm also working on a baby Lincoln, a -51 in my case. I can't see any difference in the front suspension. Maybe the coil springs are different, due to a heavier engine, but I dont know... The Lincoln brakes are different, with larger diameter drums.
    I've never heard about any difference from firewall and back but I can´t confirm it since I 've only been able to compare my frame with illustrations in the Mercury Chassis Part Catalouge 1949-53. One thing that is the same on baby Lincolns and Mercurys is the raditor frame, some of the bolt holes are for Lincolns and some for Mercury. Looking forward to read answers to your question!

3. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

You betcha! I've successfully installed Jamco leafs for a merc...front suspension stuff is the same, too. I've installed fatman tierods and m/c adapter and ssbc royal kingpins all designed for a merc. I think the lincoln frame is just 3" longer.

4. Bugman

Bugman

Great. Thanks for the info :)