Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Merc guys, I need help removing steering wheel and column from car.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott 351 wins, May 16, 2010.

1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

Last week i bought a dash that came out(dash was out of car and being stored in a ford van) of a 4 door 50 mercury, yesterday i went back to see what the rest of car looked like, i didnt even look at the car last week. the car has been parted out of most of its goodies and is rusting away into the ground.
    A deal was struck for the steering column and wheel and i went ahead to remove them from the car, after removing the bolt on the clamp at the gear box the column would not budge more than a half inch. all the linkage and so on are all removed from the column but i couldnt figure out how to get this removed without doing any damage to the column or wheel, plus the ole lady was sitting in the car calling me or texting me to hurry up or she's leaving me there. i decided that i would come back another day to get them but what is keeping the column on the gear box? i do not own a merc but i love the way the dash looks and i am going to use the dash and steering column/wheel in a later project.

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Did you pull the steering wheel?

the steering shaft is part of the box, teh outer sleeve will slide off after you pull the wheel.

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

the steering box and column come out as 1 unit through the floor. youll have to remove the large access panel in the floor to get it out. should be a bunch of 5/16" hex heads on the floor, which should be real fun to get out if there rusted.:rolleyes:

4. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

i did remove the button on the steering wheel and was considering pulling the wheel the ole lady kept calling me and bitchin that she wants to go home. she could have came out and walked around with me oh well. i removed the plate on the fire wall that the column runs thru. the column has a gear shifter on it, so there are 2 arms on the column shaft under the hood. one to operate the shifter, the other not sure what that does. the column wount slide past those or is there a trick to getting those off too?

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You can just take the column only but you have to remove the wheel but the shaft will still be connected to the box,it will be easier to remove the whole box.column like said above and next time leave the woman at home.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The easiest way to do it is to first remove the drag link from the pitman arm.Then remove the steering wheel. Then remove the shift linkage. Then unbolt the U-bolt that holds the column to the dash. Then unbolt the steering box from the frame. Then remove the sheet metal pieces that fit around the column as it passes thru the fire wall and floor. Then remove the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame rail. Now you can pull the column up thru the firewall.