Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Ford Shoebox engine help !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retro Jim, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am building my first Shoebox Ford . It was a 3 on the tree car . I was going to build either a 289 or 302 that I have BUT I want to know what a good straight 6 cylinder Ford engine would be to build . I need one that I can easily get multi carb intakes for and a good beefy cam without spending an arm and a leg on . I also want to keep the 3 on the tree for a standard trans too . I am going to use it for a fun driving car and cruises . I have a daily driver . I want something that has some get up and go too . I want a Good Ole' Shoebox hotrod !
    Any and all information will be very grateful !
    If I am asking for more than a 6 cyl. can produce just let me know and then I will build my 289 for it . If you think the 289 would be a better choice Please let me know !

Thanks for all the opinions and help !

Retro Jim

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Think about a 300 inch Ford, coupled to a toploader three speed. These motors were produced for over 30 years ('65-'96) and have excellent hop-up potential. The transmission was widely used and has a sychronized low gear. I think most of them had a 3.03 first gear.

By the way, the toploader three speed is also a good choice to go with your 289/302.

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I thought about the Ford 300 but not sure if that big straight 6 cylinder will fit or not . Was hoping someone would let me know if they installed one in theirs . If I do go with the 289 or 302 I am still going with the Ford 3 speed trans .
    Thanks for your impute !

Retro Jim

4. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I would stick to the V-8, way more potential for less money. Those 300's were gas hogs also.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I have a 302/C4with mild cam and maverick rear2.79 in that's a super good choice.It gets about 24-26mpg. It had the stock shifter when I got it that worked pretty well. But I switched it to a floor shifter. I put a maverick rear end into it which has been done a million times and there are a bunch post about it.It's pretty easy I did it by myself in the driverway in like 2 hours. I also have 4 inch jamco lowering springs with 2 inch old steel with rubber coated blocks which I have to raise the tunnel a few inches so it wouldn't rub the tunnel. I would go 302 with a maverick rear end it's a good medium ground swap. Can still leave rubber on skinnies.

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You can get a ton of info on www.fordsix.com you will also find building these are a real wallet drainer the parts prices are CRAZY! Stick to the 289-302,you'll be glad you did.

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

This is why I love the HAMB ! You get honest answers and some from people that have done it to their own .
    I like to look for something different sometimes that is why I was thinking about a straight 6 cyl .
    I have a 289 and a 302 so there's no problem there . I also have the 8" rear that was in that 66 Mustang too with I think 279 or 300 gears . I have a AOD , C4 that needs some help .
    The C4 has been rebuilt by someone but I don't know what is wrong with it . He put extra clutches in it BUT the input shaft will not turn at all . So I will need to fix that .

Thanks again ,
    Retro Jim