Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 50 Ford Shoebox custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kickstarter, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Since my 54 Ford didn’t sell, I thought why not pick up this 50 Shoebox shell with a questionable chop started on it and rob the engine and trans out of the 54 for it. Sounds like a good plan, right?

The chop is going to need a bit of help and anyone that has done one, I’m open to suggestions on how to fix, finish this one.

Right now I’m just getting all the dirt and junk out of it and getting it ready for the Y-Block swap.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Attached Files:

2. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Scraped a bunch of factory undercoat out today and the floors look really good. Some of the undercoat was over two inches thick!

I also made a wood template to push[​IMG] the roof back into shape and thought about the rear window placement. The consensus so far is it needs to be moved towards the back and a filler panel made to join it to the roof at the top.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Jalopy Joker and stanlow69 like this.
  3. JOFA

JOFA

I'll be Following your build, I'm working on my similar 50 project thats in equally rough shape but the roof isn't chopped.... Yet
    Good luck

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I like the roof forward--

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Thanks. I've never done a chop before, so it's going to be a learning process. This is just a rolling shell at the moment, so I'm going to need lots of parts or a parts car. Hopefully your car is complete.

6. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I like them both ways, but I do think the window needs to slide back a few inches anyway. I'm going to cut the tack welds and move it around and see what looks best.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  7. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Picked up a Hurst engine mount for the Y-Block, this should make it easy to drop the engine in, I hope.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Bacon

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

'51 that had years back - some 51- May - 2013 006 (Small).jpg 51- May - 2013 009 (Small).jpg '51 with Hood 2 001 (Small).jpg '51 More-7 016.jpg '51 more 4 001 (Small).jpg one chopped it before I got it - pic is just something to stare/compare as to what you are trying to do

quick85 and Kickstarter like this.
  9. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Jalopy Joker, Thanks for the pics, and I definitely need to get some skirts!

10. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

This is going to be a pretty exciting update! Not really, but I did get one more piece that I needed to put the Y-Block in.[​IMG]

Sent from my rotary phone using SPAM