Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 Deluxe rear end swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSS BUCKLIN, Jul 13, 2020.

1. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Hi All,

After all kinds of flip flopping, final drive train decision is made. It pains me to say it, but it's getting a 350 SBC (so cliche). Trans will either be a T5 or Muncie 4spd. So, what is the best rear end to swap in to replace the torque tube? I want a GM posi with disks. If I go Muncie I will need diff ratio under 3, if I go T5 I can go up to mid 3's to have the cruising rpms I want. Any experience to share out there?

Thanks.

2. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

For clarity's sake, you're building a 50 Chevy, right? I know what a Deluxe means, and am following your other thread, but the title doesn't say.

Roughly 60" WMS to WMS is what you are after. Best bang for your buck on the wish list is a Ford product... Explorer rear. Easy to find in 3.73 posi with disks. A gear ratio for the Muncie will be harder with that rear. 59.75"

The S-10 4x4 rears are also that width, but the 7.5" rears are not strong. Cruisers would be fine with one though ( I am running a 3.42 in my car) harder to find with posi and disks than the Fords. 8.5" S-10 rears are out there, but rare-ish. Much better if you can score one. 59.5" for the 4x4 rear.

Then you get to the nova, 1st gen Camaro, etc. rears. Harder to find by far. Again, the magic width is 60" or so.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

""It pains me to say it, but it's getting a 350 SBC (so cliche). ""

pretty sure you no longer get cool kid points for disrespecting the SBC unless you still have a pompador and 6" cuffs on your jeans

scotty t and Atwater Mike like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Less 'cliche' would be a nice 302 Ford w/C4. :D
    Well...it's 'not so cliche'...:p

Hnstray likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

define "late"?

Moriarity likes this.
  6. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Camaro... Gen 4 rears are too wide. Not familiar at all with gen 5's

7. squirrel

squirrel

I thought you might have meant something like 70-81, 82-92, 93-02, 10-15, etc.

I would look for a 71-81 rear, and get drum brakes, instead of disk. Less trouble, and they work fine.

Nostrebor and Moriarity like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

55-57 chev rears go in those real nice. just need to relocate the hole for the center bolt or the wheels will be way too far forward, I think it is something like 1.5 inches off

9. squirrel

squirrel

Tri five would be the way to go, if you can find one that someone pulled to replace with some modern disc brake crap :)

10. Tri five and second gen Camaro are drop ins

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The Tri-Five rear ends are "almost" a bolt-in; you just need to re-drill the spring pin locator hole 1-1/2" forward and 1/2" in ward. They can be a little difficult finding, but try for a 57 rear-end; they have a drain plug in the housing and use easier to find and cheaper axle bearings. Next would be a late 60's/early 70's Nova/Camaro that you'll have to put new spring pads on. Some guys use the 4 X 4 S-10 REAR ENDS, even though they only have a 7-1/2" to 7-5/8" ring gear; not the best with a manual transmission and a bigger V-8. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Nostrebor and Moriarity like this.
  12. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Possible to put a chevy bolt pattern hub/disk on an explorer rearend?

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

post 1970 Camaro rears are wider. I had 6" chrome wheels and could not run my skirts with the Camaro rear. not too wide....... it depends on your wheel choice and if you want skirts or not.

early Camaro's and Nova's are narrower than stock

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

So this dude asks what works best....and was given several reccomendations on what works best. Then comes back (obviously ignoring everyone's advice) to ask if something totally different can be modified to work...? But yes, Ford Explorer could prolly be made to work with your Chevy stuff. Nothin's too tuff...just bring the green stuff.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

exactly, tri fives virtually bolt in and are the exact right width and really should not be all that hard to find.....

VANDENPLAS and flatheadpete like this.
  16. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Depending on where you are, tri-fives rears may or may not be easy to find. Around here? Not so much. 8.5in S-10 also not so easy to find. Explorers, every junkyard here is loaded with them, but, I don't want a ford pattern on the rear, ergo my question. The boneyards here are, these days, all computerized so calling and asking for a '60 inch wide, 3.30 geared posi rear with disks' gets you nowhere other than "what make and model?" So, I'm on here asking for information based on the experience many of you all have to replace my ignorance born of inexperience with knowledge. If you have the information and don't want to share, no worries, not offended. If you don't have the information and just want chip in to ridicule me for asking what may or may not be a dumb question, (Flatheadpete) I don't find that helpful and I'm pretty sure its not in the spirit forums like this are intended for.

Everyone else, thank you for the information and I'll do my best with it.

scotty t and Hnstray like this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

part of the difficulty for us in not knowing that 5-7 chev rears are hard to find around here is, you have not filled in your location on your profile, Hell there may be someone local to you on here with just what you need under their bench but they don't know where you are.......

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

That's a fair point.

Hnstray likes this.
  19. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

So, added a profile pic but can not see how to add information. FTR, I am in the Seattle area.

20. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Ironically, I just located a complete 55 rearend an hour from here. Picking it up Sat.

21. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Good for you Russ.

Pat

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

See... there ya go! You listened, learned and saved yourself time and prolly $$.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  23. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Congrats on finding the 55 rear. They can be a bit difficult to source!

To answer your question for the future HAMB searchers... you can redrill the axles for the Chevy patterns using either a machine shop or the famous Rotten Leonard jig, or run dual bolt pattern wheels (which many vendors sell whether you want them or not). My car came with dual pattern wheels, so running Ford or Chevy parts was an easier choice. I did end up all Chevy though. Some guys don't like the 10 hole wheels, and I get that, but there are the choices.

24. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

For the record... his first answer included the Explorer as an option. It was one option I gave. He didn't ignore anything.

I agree that tri five stuff fits great, and early Camaro, second gen Nova, etc... but those rears are harder (more $$$) to come by. It's good to have a bevy of options. There is no question that Explorer rears are the best bang for the buck if you want to tick all the boxes on his original wish list. The only challenge is bolt circle.

25. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Agree. My car had a 2nd gen Camaro rear in it when I got it and was too tight (wide) for skirts.

26. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Thanks Flathead, high praise.

Well, Saturday I'm making about a 5 hr round trip to pick up:

Crate 350 with <5k mi
    T5 Camaro trans
    350 bell housing and flywheel
    55 complete rear with leafs, brakes and e-brake.

So:
    Recommendations for clutch kit?
    Recommendations for posi gear set for the 55 rear?
    Is it possible to (cost effectively) convert the 55 rear to disk?

I know everyone says rear drums work just fine, but disks are better and simpler for brake jobs so if it's not a HUGE hassle, would rather convert. Over all, not a huge deal though.

27. With how many times you might actually need to replace rear brakes, the argument for converting to disc is not really valid. Drums are not really that much hassle, sure more than disc, but not anything bad.

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As you rebuild it remember 55’s have a few different parts than 56-7’s. Up to 63 pumpkins fit and I think 3.08’s are the highest ratio available.

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'll also recommend the 8.8" Ford from an Explorer. Not sure about other places, but around here I can buy them at the wrecking yard with disc brakes, and a posi in 3.56, 3.73, or 4.10 for $210. They are basically a 12 bolt GM, and even the clutch packs are the same part number.
    I just swapped one into a friend's '57 Chevy truck, and I have one in my '39 Chevy coupe, and put one behind the BBC 468 c.i. engine and SuperT10 I put in my '63 Falcon. They're tough as heck, and nothing else you can buy will be as strong for so little money.

30. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sent you a PM with info on someone who may have a Tri-Five rear, then read you had found a 55 rear end. Just be aware that 55-56 rear ends take different carrier and axle bearings than 57. Also, 55-56 rear end third members are slightly weaker than 57 to 64 rear ends. Of course, ALL the 55-64 third members will swap and the axle splines are the same (17 spline). So, 55-64 full size, 56-62 Corvette, and 62-63 Chevy II/Nova all swap. Stay away from the Chevy II/Nova third members; they are very weak as the cases are light weight. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Nostrebor likes this.