Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 50 chevy .. Nail head or inline 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sakelley22, Dec 21, 2011.

1. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

Picked up a 50 chevy a few weeks ago origional plan was to use the250 6 and turbo 350 trans that came with it but I been thinking I have a 401 nail head with a 2x 4 intake and a 4 speed set up the enging is the wildcat 445 I had planned on using this set up in a T coupe do you guys think it would be stupid to put it in the 50 chevy:confused:

Attached Files:

2. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

oh,cool a 50 chevy with a buick.......you shouldnt be dissapointed in torque and power..... keep us informed...thanks...k ps i got a 54, and a 401 laying around myself........

3. belair

belair

I think it would be awesome.

4. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

thats like asking if you think your girl should get bigger tits or just leave the size A cups she already has.

fucking of course put the buick in it.

5. whisky runner

whisky runner

wow nice parts to chose from there. i would hate to have to pick one ... nailheads have powered many of the coolest cars in my opinion.. chevy inlines are great too... but to me a hot rod has 3 pedals.. but it is up to you and either way is cool

6. fbama73

fbama73

VERY well stated!!

If I had a Nailhead convienient, that 235 waiting to go in my Chevy would be for sale!

7. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I think one of the coolest things about a nailhead and the popularity in roadsters is the look. It would be lost in a car with a hood, unless it is the car it came in.Good thing is, its your car not mine.

8. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

In my experience, you will tire of the six, I put a Buick 364 in my 57 chevy when I was in the Navy and I had a ball with that car. I ran a six a coupe of years ago, nice nostalgia but driving nostalgia gets old. Your car, just my two cents, good luck.

9. Cruiser

Cruiser

If, you tend to be a hot rodder and love to shift through gears the Nailhead is a great engine and the way to go.
    On the other hand if your a custom guy and love to cruise low and slow go with the 250 it has lots of power and no shifting is cool for cruising.
    My personal choice would be the 250 and this coming from a guy with a great 327 in his ride with a 350 turbo.
    I would save the Nailhead for you T project, whatever one you choose good luck.

CRUISER :cool:

10. Do you want to get 18 mph or 8? I'd use the nailhead in the T where all the world can see it.

11. It's been done before, you'll need a rear dump left manifold or have to do something to eliminate the steering box on the frame (Jag front end, rack to the stock front end, Astro reverse box may do it, etc.), along with the usual V8 mods (trim the firewall braces) and will probably be on your own for a front mount. But not a huge deal if you can fabricate.

12. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

Low and slow in a 50- go with the 6.

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Here's the nailhead I have hidden under the hood of my '50 Chevy Sedan Delivery. It may be hidden but I know where it is.
    [​IMG]

14. 01A

01A

Both are cool! I vote for the nailhead!

15. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Put the Nail head in the Chevy and the six in the T, run with out hood.

16. hotdamn

hotdamn

I am an inline guy all day long, but I cant get down with an auto on a 6. I dont want to hate on any one that has one but for me I think having a manual behind an inline is equally important as a split mani...

now that said if your inline was a built 261 and had a manual behind it I would say inline all the way.

but a nail head totally trumps all over a 250/auto set up.

esp with a 4spd behind it!

and either way youre gonna have to swap out your rear anyways.

and I cant imagine a nail head weighing too much more than a stovebolt?

and a 401 has like 435ftlbs of touqe.

the key in my opinion would be to keep it looking like a kustom with a smokin tri powered nail head in it!!!

AND!!!!!,

you can cook them 5.60's right the hell off of it!!!

17. hotdamn

hotdamn

not sure what kinda inline you had brother but I can tell you mine is a hoot to drive :)

there is nothing like a built stovebolt with a nasty cam!

18. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Nailheads are cool don't get me wrong, but I would save it for the t and get yourself a 3spd to put behind the six. Got to have a manual if you want that six sound.

19. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

My vote is for the six. Nothing like the sound and look of a mulit carb inline. Bent engines are cool but six inarow will make it go. Either way - it's a hotrod so it's cool!

20. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

I like the boob reference reply..... I actually sold a Studebaker one time to get my ex-wife new boobs now somebody else is playing with both

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

This would be a very hard swap to do, the Buick is known to be a bulky engine especially around the starter, chances are it will have major interference with the steering.

You would be better off selling the Chev and buying a Buick to put the engine in, or put a Chev engine in the Chev.

At least take some precise measurements and see what you are up against.

22. jrlemke

jrlemke

Had a 322 nailhead in my '52 Chev for 25 years. Tri-power, 4-speed sag. w/o.d. 4:11 49 Pontiac rearend and brakes all around. A great combination. used a '58 dual exhaust l/h manifold on the left and a '59 single l/h exhaust manifold on the right. Had to put a 3/8" plate between the steering box and the frame so the pitman arm would clear the solinoid on the bottom of the starter. My motor had a rear sump oil pan. I think the center sump should clear the center point steering, if not ,find a G/S 400 pan. Clutch linkage was the biggest problem, I should have used a hydraulic set-up. I had to remove the heater boxes on both sides. If you want a heater/defroster, Chev had a dealer installed unit. Good luck. -Jim

23. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

well how about another option I have 27 ford touring car that I been thinking of turning into a rpu and use it in my business during warm weather it has a big caddy motor in it so I was thinking use the inline 6 in that and put the caddy in the 50 chevy... anyone ever cut a touring car and do the roadster pickup

24. No contest...nailhead all the way. Steering/starter all depends on what you are using up front. Or get a crossover adapt.

25. what a dilemma, both are faves of mine . when you pop the hood every one will go ahh, mmm, with either! Such troubles you have...good luck

26. Nail Head Oh Yes
    From a guy who runs a 261 six.
    Go for it

27. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I have run this debate in my head for years and years about my car. if I had the Nailly I would run it all the way. esspecially over the 250 auto . I am right there with HotDamn on this one.

28. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Another vote for the 401.
    The looks of the dual quad set up on a Nailhead are hard to deny.

29. gsport

gsport

i'd go V8 any day over the inline 6... especially the nailhead

30. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

I nearly spit my linguini at my ipad over that one.....roflmao!

Dave.....