Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 CHEVY KUSTOM Build almost Finished, photoshop Help!<--

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclebilly, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

Ive been building this 50 Chevy hardtop for a customer for the last year or so, and Im almost finished (some of you may have seen it in the basement in Detroit).. the owner and I have been talking about side trim or scallops to add to it for a while now... (I know we should have planned it earlier) but we didn't realize it needed anything till after it was in paint.
    it's kinda plain on the outside. the only chrome on the outside is the grill, bumpers and headlight rings,(the vent windows will be chrome along with the trim around the glass on the side windows), and the inside is dressed up real nice. So I was wondering if any if you photoshop pros out there can give me some ideas.. I was thinking pearl white scallops, maybe? or maybe a darker color? the color on the car is hok wild cherry but it its pretty much purple..

So heres the run down on the build:

chopped 4 inches, deck lid sectioned 3 inches, removed belt line on doors, shoebox ford tail lights turned side ways, I smoothed the dash and frenched in stewart warner white face gauges, smoothed the firewall, Desoto grill, frenched head lights with merc headlight rings. I pulled the body and had the chassis powder coated, 4 link rear, mustang II front crossmember, air ride on all four corners. small block chevy turbo 350. Jennie (StitchBitch did a beautiful job on the interior and I had the garnish moldings and headliner bows chromed. Joel (peterpanofchicago) threw down some light purple and electric blue pinstriping on the hood and decklid and around the frenched antennas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. adam401

adam401

I really like the chrome trim on the headliner and chrome interior garnish moldings. Are those chrome headliner strips stock on chevys? Nice build.

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

Man, if I were you, I'd leave well enough alone. On a smooth ass custom like that, less is more and the attention to detail really shows through in the subtle details. In my opinion, you'd be "cluttering" it all up with anything else, even scallops or whatever. Smooth. You did beautiful work, why try to hide it? I like it so much, I'm going to opt out of photoshopping it!
    If I had to suggest one thing that I would do differently, it would be to paint the radiator area satin black so that it gives more depth and makes those Desoto teeth really "float".
    That's a real beauty.

4. kraka138

kraka138

is that a brown chevy with caddy tail lights nex to ya?

5. Really, really nice build.

6. WrazedWrong

WrazedWrong

Love the color, the car is awesome.
    I could see it with some chrome trim or subtle pinstripes

7. vintage tin

vintage tin

x2!

8. I agree 100%!

9. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

THANKS ALOT for the compliments everyone. (adam401) the chrome bows are stock on the hardtops.

gigantor Im defenetly going to paint the radiator black, thats one thing i wish i could have done before Detroit. I think leaving it alone would be okay, but i dont know, when i pull it out in the sunlight it seems kinda boring, maybe its the color throwing me off.

kraka, thats my personal 52 chevy you see in the backround

10. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

And when i say scallops, i mean very mild, not over the top ones. just another color to accent the lines

thanks alot

11. kraka138

kraka138

i think those taillights flow so nicely with the car

12. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

man i should have taken a closer look at that at detroit. you did the shaved belt line like i did on my old 50 coupe that my buddy is finishing now. i dig it. your truck looks so much like the trunk in my old 50 too. I dig the hell outa it thats for sure.

13. riverrat

riverrat

the only thing that car needs is me in the drivers seat
    riverrat

14. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

looks killer like that what is the name of the color and who is it by?

15. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Thats a nice custom for sure.. i dunno why but i like those hardtops unchopped... but your chop looks real nice.. i'd leave it be... looks great..
    -Anthony

16. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Well I'm no expert here, but, I see a stripe to mimic the missing roof gutter. I wouldn't touch anything else.
    Dominic

17. is this cool? my mouse is dead, did it with my small touch pad,

Attached Files:

18. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

Its hok wild cherry kandy over black base..

Abe Thank you for taking the time to do those photoshops, defanatly gives me some ideas. I like the last one, maybe a smaller side trim, got the idea though.

any one else have any ideas??

Thanks a lot

BOBBY

19. jonnycola

jonnycola

Can anyone photoshop Z's shirt off in that first pic???

20. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

man my opinion.... it looks tits just how it is.....i personally dont like the buick trim...looks too guady.....if your gonna trim it .... i would stick to something simple that doesnt take away from the beautifull work youve alredy done, the buick trim in my opinion does.
    how about something simple like using a variation of the stock style trim and just relocating it right above the wheel well? maybe something like this?...the trim breaks it up a bit...but i would just leave it as is....like said before...less is more.....simple is smooth
    [​IMG]

21. How about some pics of your '52?

22. 63necker

63necker

Really, I would leave the car way it is the car looks awesome. Clean and sophisticated. paint the radiator black and call it done.

23. There's nothing wrong with subtle and simple. Less is more. Form follows function. The car looks understated and elegant. Just put a feather in your hat and call it macaroni.

24. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

I dig the look of that side trim, better then the buick...

I was hoping someone can do subtle scallops, like the way OZ did the dark green scallops on that merc, very classy

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Johnnycola, if you ask Z nicely im sure he would remove it for you, and he is a HAMB member now, goes by (BigZ)

25. I'd stay away from scallops. The single spear,front fender and door only might look good. The Buick trim doesn't look right to me,cause of the rear fender pop-out. But honestly...leave it alone!!!!

26. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

yeah that was a beaut. classy is the way to go.....

27. Janne

Janne

I would say no to scallops too.

28. Janne

Janne

It looks good as it is, look Cole Fosters Chevy. If you put side trim to it, straight one would be great.

29. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

did you say "kinda plain on the outside"

i missed something.
    that car is perfect as is.

leave it