Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 Chevy build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornbinder52, Jan 11, 2013.

1. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figured I would start one of those build threads I keep reading. I bought this 4 door in St. Louis while my brother was in the hospital. He was in the icu at slu suffering from what doctors call an assault. He passed away three weeks after his attack at age 31. I was the car guy, he was not. He did love cars from the 40's and 50's. His first car was a 62 ford fairlane. I bought the car to build in memory of my brother, Nate.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1357888809.313049.jpg
    Here is how she looked when I picked her up. So far I have rebuilt the carb, and I'm working on the brakes. It drove on the trailer and off, but the po had the battery in backwards and all the connections to the new starter were loose. Need to check the wiring. I also dug into recovering the seats myself. Here are some pics.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1357889052.247723.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1357889081.534925.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1357889119.314846.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1357889169.161205.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1357889188.131128.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1357889206.233055.jpg

Here is my favorite. I found these tonight at grandpas in the shed. They are off the 58 Harley he had. They are getting a cleaning and then they are going on the car. How many people can say they are running their grandpas Harley pipes?
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1357889381.814469.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Looks like the car is pretty complete...and fairly solid. Good luck with it.

Sorry about your brother, but with this car, his memory can live on. 31 is a pretty tender age to pass away...so, I'm equally sorry about the circumstances that caused his death.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

3. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks jonnie. We are still waiting for the autopsy report. The place it happened at claims he must have had a seizure and fell. Doctors said that his injuries were consistent with a fall from two or three stories, not from standing. Only injuries to the head, multiple skull fractures and deep tissue damage. He had just gone back to college to finish his degree, which was given posthumously.

As for the car, it is really solid, some rust in the floors, but I want to notch and lower it so I'm gonna have to hack at the tunnel anyway. Dummy spots and visor are aged, but look pretty original. Hoping to find some skirts. Eventually I'd like to do a t-5, 2 link rear with bags, and front bags on dropped a arms or uprights. Double 1bbl carbs and split manifolds are next once I get the wiring spooks hammered out. I think it's a sweet project. I have not slept well since we spent those 3 weeks in st Louis, so I have something to occupy my time and mind. Automotive therapy at its finest.

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for your loss. Therapy for sure, good luck!

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Hi,yes sorry for your loss,keep at it.You will see better days. Jack

6. 5-4Belair

5-4Belair

Sorry for your loss. It's never easy. Automotive therapy has always worked for me.

7. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. Each day is a little better. There are a few rough ones here and there. I like to fix things. My house, my car, I am a carpenter by trade. When the car gives me a problem, I can fix it. Nate being absent at Christmas, I don't know how to fix that. The case being unsolved, I don't know how to fix that. Having this board to lurk on in the wee hours of the morning when sleep won't come, and a car to burn off nervous energy wrenching on, that is good therapy.

8. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I drug the car out of the garage yesterday afternoon (literally) because I need to work on the daily and it is really flippin cold here. I put cylinder kits in the rear brakes but I did not get them reassembled correctly as the driver rear wheel will not turn. It left a nice black streak out the garage which would otherwise be impressive. I took the brakes apart and it was a bear getting the drum off and back on. Turns out the po had the parking brake on but removed the handle. Guess I need to adjust that one in a bit. Front cylinders are leaking pretty bad too, so they get pulled off as well maybe tomorrow. Maybe next week when it is warmer...

9. lawman

lawman

Nice start and keep posting !!!

10. jimstro16

jimstro16

At least you can start the interior indoors with the heat. Eventually everything needs to get done. I'm keeping my outside work til it warms up a little here also. The last couple days have been 5 degrees with a high of 10. Bitter

11. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has warmed up to a balmy 33 degrees, so I'm headed out to unstick the brakes on the drivers rear. With the car out in the sun I will try to get some better pictures.

12. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got my rear brakes unstuck. As I mentioned the parking brake was on when I got the car. I put the handle back on and released it, but I guess it stuck on the drivers side. I took the rod that applies pressure from the parking brake cable out so I could get the drum back on. With a leaky cylinder on the front, crappy rubber lines, and pitted cylinders in the back, I ordered the master kit from kanter. I want to upgrade to a dual circuit system, but that can come later. Just need some brakes for now. ImageUploadedByTJJ1359000345.268834.jpg
    I also kinda got it to run, but after a carb rebuild and a new fuel pump it does not seem to want to keep fuel to the carb. The glass bowl on top of the fuel pump is barely half full and I always have to put some gas in the carb. The other day it took a bit to get it going, but today it just wouldn't. Killed the battery, so after a charge ill try again tomorrow.

13. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still parts stacking. 2x1 offy, split manifold, lowering blocks, some gaskets. Still have the brake kit to put in. Still cold, car is outside on jack stands.

14. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Hope you're still at it on the '50. Any updates? I just picked one up myself and its in awful shape but its the same color (Falcon Grey) I believe. Yours looks like a great builder, and hope all is well.

15. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Yeah, what's going on with your '50?

16. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Not much, I just picked it out of a field where it was sitting for about 15+ years. Needs floors but the panels are good and trunk is ok. I read your progress with the brake system, I understand the 49/50 still use the Huck brakes and parts are hard to find? Did you redo the wheel cylinders and if so, who had the rebuild kits?

Thanks Rusty

17. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Sorry for your loss. You have a sweet project to help keep your mind off things.