Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 step=Drip rail relacement/repair -"HOW TO"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choprods, Mar 24, 2013.

1. This is a thread started to help anyone who has a section of their drip rail rusted out or mangled beyond other means of repair.....
    I welcome any others to add to this, their ideas and techniques to aid the folks with these problems on their car's roof rails....

NOTE:please lets keep it about repair technique and not preference,as I and another Hambr'S POSTS were deleted on the other drip rail post,for bickering[and APPROPRIATELY SO]:cool:......

Anyway,here is a tip I am submitting to outline a way to fix your drips.....
    tools:
    this method is good for a section or could be utilized for total replacing of drips -done in short sections at a time......

mig or tig welder
    body hammer
    grinder
    forming tools/die:
    [mine was an old screwdriver and a chunk of bent 1/4" rod.
    a flat or square drip could be formed from a die made of 1/8 or 1/4" flat bar stock cut in the radius [of the bend of new drip rail] ,attached to a handle for ease of holding...]

1-Start by stripping off the old part that is bad.
    cut a strip of 18 ga C/R sheet to make a replacement rail from
    3/4" to 1"wide- is typical but measure yours for sure

2- mark the location on the roof for the "new" one to be placed...

3-tack in place,then continuously weld all,then grind welds flush....[important step as once bent to shape //grinding is nearly impossible then]

4- hammerform the drip, slowly till achieving the shape you want.[notice the "slit" I cut to allow it to bend on the compound axis]-It's easier to hammer if you start out with a narrower strip,but you could end up with not being big enough finished size....so starting a bit wide and trimmming at the end is probably best route....]

5.trim off excess with snips or cut-off wheel and finish with a grinder to perfection!....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    123 likes this.
  2. Yet another way to repair the drip rail,,and a pretty good way of accomplishing the repair. HRP

3. big M

big M

Good info, Thanks for posting that.

---John

4. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

would this work on a model A as well? Maybe a dumb question but I'm really new at body work

5. Memory serving ,you would need to fill the recessed area where the tack strip/drip originally fit first.maybe a peice of thin bar stock or sheet welded in flush ,then add the process here to add a driprail over that.....