Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 speed behind flat head six??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Oct 14, 2011.

1. fitzee

fitzee

Looking to see if there is any info out there for mounting a late model 5 speed box behind a Flat head six dodge..Looking to do some up grades to my 49 dodge truck and this idea was one I`m interested in trying.anybody ever try it??

2. pitman

pitman

Hi Fitzee,
    With all the torque of the old six, I wonder if 4 gears might serve better. The fifth would add an OD effect, might be fine. I'm thinking back to some of the old monsters like the 409 Chev, in a light car, 3 speeds was the best choice.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might have to be real good friends with a machinist but it should be something that can be done. the Dodge overdrive that I have has a longer input shaft than the GM or Ford transmissions I have so you might check to see how the 5 speed compares to the Dodge trans if you have both there.

4. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Talk to gary (73RR on the hamb.) He makes kits to put a 5 speed behind one.

5. kookee

kookee

6. fitzee

fitzee

see what I`m after is have the truck so it will keep with highway speeds.In and around the city it is ok but to and from home it is a 20 min run on the highway.. reasoning for the 5 speed.. Going to look into this more.. great info..

7. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

fitzee,
    My 38 Plymouth flathead had a t5 behind it with a 3:78 rear end gear. It was awesome on the highway. I also had split exhault manifolds and a 2 carb intake which rounded out the package nicely. It is worth it. Langdons is the place to get it (1st link above).
    Paul

8. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

I put a camaro t-5 behind a flat head dodge in my roadster. The truck bellhousing has a large enough flat area to redrill the gm bolt pattern. However, the bearing retainer register OD on the transmission is smaller that the ID of the register hole in the bellhousing, it's about 0.05" too small. Also the dodge truck throwout bearing ID is way larger than the stock gm one. I made a bushing for the bearing retainer register and for the throwout bearing. I also had to make a new pilot bearing. I used a stock 10" gm clutch and the pressure plate from the dodge. Dodge truck had a 10" and 11" clutch.

If you want to use a t-5 from an s-10, then you will have to space the trans as the s-10 input shafts are longer than the camaro and standard muncie/saginaw 4 speeds.

9. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

go look at wilcap...they will make an adapter for anything...I have a AOD behind my flathead.