Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 5 pin relay part numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Jan 10, 2018.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I put together this list the other day for personal reference, and just wanted to share the info for those who might need it! I work at NAPA, so these are all Echlin part numbers, but the counterman at whatever your store of choice is should be able to cross them.

These are all regular old 12V, Type B relays, with resistor across the coil (pins 85 & 86), except where noted.

I denoted the ones with no rating listed as "light duty" to be safe, and would assume this to be under a 30A rating. I would personally use these purely for "changeover" duty and not for your air compressor or the like...

AR143
    --light duty, with plastic tab

AR274
    --light duty, removable metal tab

AR170
    --Light duty, no tab

AR174
    --Light duty, shrouded, provision for metal tab (but no tab included)

AR272
    --Medium duty, 30A, no tab

AR276
    --Medium duty, 30A, metal tab, shrouded terminals

AR426
    -- 40A, no tab

AR201
    --Heavy duty, 50A, no tab

AR204
    --Heavy duty, 50A, *diode across coil*, plastic tab

AR419
    -- Kit with color-coded pigtail, butt connectors, and what looks like an AR276 relay

EC23
    -- color-coded relay pigtail

EC38
    -- pigtail with little mounting tab

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Thanks for posting.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Be aware that ANY plug-in Bosch type relay is ONLY rated for 24 continuous amps as that's the maximum rating for the wire connector. They are useful for circuits (generally motor circuits) where inrush current exceeds the relay rating as they'll give longer contact life/fewer failures, but still shouldn't be used on circuits beyond 24 continuous amps.

H380, loudbang and rfraze like this.
  4. uncle buck

uncle buck

I'll add if you want a pigtail / connector to plug into the relay a NAPA Lighting # 9185 will work

loudbang likes this.

5. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Thanks. Very good info. to have.

6. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Good addition!!!! True, terminal/connector ratings definitely need to be taken into consideration, and are often completely overlooked. I would note, though, that even the "light duty" relays listed are used as continuous duty headlight or A/C clutch/blower motor relays in their original application, and should be fine for similar application in a hot rod.

Thanks uncle buck!! I wasn't aware of that P/N and will add it to my list!

7. thanks for posting.....

8. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Would a AR170 cross over to a hella 87152? I’m trying to find a horn relay for a painless wiring fuse block?