Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 minute vulcanizer - What the heck is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiat128, Nov 17, 2008.

1. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I was digging through a bunch of Model A stuff I bought a while back and found this in a bucket of brackets and screws.

Anybody know what this was used for? I have no idea but it's cool so I'll keep it in case I ever need a clamp like this.

It says "5 minute vulcanizer" on one side and "Stalher" on the other and on both sides of the thumbscrew.

Vulcanization is a process used to make rubber that involves heat and pressure but I have no idea what or how you could vulcanize with a clamp.

Attached Files:

2. redhumphries

redhumphries

It is used to install hot patches on inner tubes. You would place the tube in the fixture along with the patch and set the inside of the patch on fire it had a fiber inside that would burn and melt the rubber patch to the tube. Worked pretty good.

3. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

yours looks like it has a piece missing...

[​IMG]

4. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Seems like part of it is missing. I'm guessing it had a disk the size of the bottom one on the end of the screw at one time.

5. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Yea, like that (you posted that while I was typing.

6. gas pumper

gas pumper

Wow, hot patches, The smoke and fumes made it all worthwile:D The only fun part of fixing flats!

7. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

the do it yourself generation.... nowadays you call a tow truck and have the car dropped off at walmart while you shop....
    I love that old 20's stuff, you could rebuild your car on the side of the road yourself if you had to.

8. onedge

onedge

9. striper

striper

Yep, only it's not a disk. It's a cross that clamped over the metal backing of the patch without interfering with the burny stuff on top. Used to love fixing flats on my bike with these.

Pete

P.S. I'm not that old either.

10. I believe that you can still buy the "hot patches" from an auto parts store."Camel"brand..In the tire repair section.

11. I've used lots of "hot patches" and they work great. Speaking of flats, funny thing just happened to me. Last week I bought the wife a new Cadillac CTS (she's a good wife and I heard GM needed the money) anyway I asked the salesman about the spare tire. He said there is none, that's what the "On Star" button is for. He said Cadillac owners do not change tires! Holy Crap was I outa my element! I asked him what if I was way out in the country and WW III just started? He showed me that where the spare would normally be there sat a 12 volt compressor and a can of "fix'a'flat" kinda stuff! LOL

12. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

^^ see! thats what I was talking about lol.
    A production car without a spare... wonder whats next?

13. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Aaaaahhh, the smell of burnt rubber.

14. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Chevy SSR's are come like that from the factory, my dad had one.

Spare = 12v air compressor and a bottle of Slime

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wasn't a 20's rig but a big straight late 40's early 50's Buick straight 8. when I was 17 my first real job working in a shop was working in the Honda Motor cycle dealers shop in Yakima, wa assembling bikes.
    For several days I watched a guy with his family (camped) beside the road while he rebuilt the engine on the side of the road incuding dropping the crank out the bottom. I know that because he had the crank laying beside the car when I was on the way to work one day and it was gone when I drove home that night. A day or two later they were gone from the spot.

I used one of those tire patch vises quite a bit in the early 70's. They do a great job when you do the prep right.

16. gas pumper

gas pumper

Thanks for the memory jog, right prep, Buff the tube with a copper colored grit wheel in an electric drill, clean area with the right solvent in the Camel can(maybe acetone?), clamp it all together, light 'er up, wait for it to cool.

I can't remember where I was yesterday, but this came thru;)

17. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

The version of this that I remember from my childhood was for bicycles. Your tube repair kit came with a sticky rubber patch, a thing that looked like a quarter sized peice of mom's nutmeg grater and some stinky clear cement in a tube.

You'd scratch up the tube good with the grater and squeeze out the cement on the tube and light it. Then after a little bit you put it out and stuck the patch on the tube. I don't remember any clamp though.

All 10 year old kids knew how to do this where I lived and what made you get a new tube was when you got a hole over a previous patch and the kit wouldn't work.

I can't imagine the lawyers of today allowing 10 year old kids to intentionally play with fire.

18. chopo

chopo

Yep Our Chrysler Crossfire is that way also!:(

19. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

I have two of them that I have picked up here and there, they are really neat.
    Starting a collection off odd tools, have a set of wooden shaping tools for lead. I am sure there is a proper name for them but dad said if I could guess what they were I could have them.

I had to steal them from his room lol.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I can't believe there are cars that don't come with a spare. do people actually wait for a tow truck to fix a flat?

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Aaahhh yes, OnStar. Which broadcasts your every move and throttle twitch back to Mission Control. Privacy is dead.

22. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

But it can save your life.If your ever in a wreck where you are all alone.It will automatically dispatch Fire and Ambulance should the car roll over.I dont think thats all that bad.

23. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Realistically, how often does something like that happen, anyway? IMHO it's an example of folks giving up their privacy for some arcane, nebulous and 'so-what' benefit. But, with potential downsides. Like when you have an accident and the insurance company decides it's your fault because some wonk decides they don't like the way you twitched the steering wheel (all dutifully logged and reported).

24. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

What boggles the mind more is how LITTLE most car owners don't know about thier car simply because they didn't read the damn directions.

For Example...

about 10 Years ago, I was working at Capitol Chevrolet when the new Vette's rolled in. a couple of unfortunate souls blew rear tire, or they went flat (which was damn near impossible to not notice due to the tire monitoring system-which is just 1 more way to ignore Your car...But I digress.) for what ever reason. those not afraid to change thier own tires typically dimade the same classic mistakes.

#1- they would slide the cutesy little jack right under the door- You right between the 2 spots on the rocker that say "JACK POINT HERE" with arrows and either break the clamshell, or crack the roof. Brilliant.

#2. They would go ahead and toss the 'ol space saver spare on the REAR of the car and inside of around 40 or so miles burn the clutches out of the rear differential, even though on the spare, the Jack cover, and detailed in the owners manual it gave SPECIFIC DIRECTIONS to never do anything this dumb, because the rear wheel and tire size was about 4 inches taller than previously mentioned space saver spare. ( That means they don't turn at the same speed, cleatus)

#3. OR. They would slap the space saver on and immediately spin the tire off the rim. what's that? a "modest" projection of 300 rear wheel horsepower, combined with a 10 inch wide, tall, sticky compund tire versus a nearly bald, skinny, 40 m.p.h. rated tire and the little one didn't like it? go freakin figure, genius.

seriously. I worked on a veritable fleet of vettes back then, and I had mabey 3 come in with the space saver on the front, both front wheels on the rear and 1 rear wheel on the front. and those guys had owned probably a dozen corvettes over the years.

I love people. Perhaps we can get D.W. to chime in on Mercedes spare wheels and what happens if You don't use the supplied lug bolts with the spare. The proper terminology for that was "Damn! Did my wallet just go on a diet? Sucker got all skinny real quick like...."

25. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

That's the way I remember patching a lot of flats on my bike and float tubes when I was a kid