Register now to get rid of these ads!

5-lug conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Julio, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

Hey dudes, I searched threads but to no avail, I want to convert my 63 comet 4-lug drums to 5 lug. any tips? I wanna be able to put 13 inch supremes. I know the back is as simple as rear end, but the front.... I was checking out a guys ranchero with 5 lug 13's on it so can it be as easy as just switching out the
    lugged drums? I wanna try it but I didnt know the guy with the ranchero that well and couldnt ask if I could rip apart his wheel haha. so tips? tricks?

thanks in advance

-Julio

2. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

Hey thanks alot stray that helped alot, Im gonna look into getting them drilled,

3. knotheads

knotheads

65-66 mustang spindles and brake assemblys should bolt up on the 63 a arms.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Unfortunately, the early Comet and Falcons have a small square hub that doesn't lend itself well to redrilling. You can switch out to later drums and spindles, but somewhere in there, the diameter of the ball joint and tie rod holes changed around and it can get complicated very quickly. How about converting over to disc brakes as part of the bargain? There is a company called Scarebird enterprises that offers a disc brake kit to convert 6 cylinder spindles over to five lug disc brakes. Not too expensive either. I'm going to be doing some of his four lug discs soon on my ranchero. He is a member here on the H.A.M.B. as well.

5. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

You will need to change all front end pcs. Upper & lower A=arms , Springs , Spindles Ect...Find a good doner car & get everything...

6. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

I really want to but I want to keep 13 inch wheels and supposedly it doesnt work that well with 13s

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No, you're right on that. Five lug thirteen inch wheels are not exactly common though. What do you have?

8. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

I have the stock 13 inch 4-lug steelies but I wanted to put on some 13 inch supremes,

9. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Pardon my ignorance but what are Supremes? Are they similar to Daytons?

10. dannyego

dannyego

Don't do the swap if you want to run 13" wheels I know from experience. Finding 5 lug 13" wheels with the proper backspacing to fit a falcon or comet is impossible. You will need wheel spacer longer lug studs and you will have to pull the axle if you want them to fit. I have a thread in the tech section on losboulevardos.com once they get the site up and running again. They make 4 lug astros just keep your eyes peeled

11. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

No not daytons (Ew) think 60s Bellflower style, Astro supremes

12. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

4 Lug astros?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!1 My Holy Grail!

13. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^ They never made 4 lug Astro Supremes, nor 4 lug Supremes of any brand.^^^
    Theres 4 lug cragars around to be found and they made 4 lug Rocket Stage 1s,
    but are harder to come by, and i aint sure they fit Ford pattern although they were unilug, thats because of the large 132x4 lug VW pattern they actually do fit.
    Theres also Tru Spokes and Star Wires in 4 lug, that am sure fit Ford's, but hard as hell to find.
    If you find a pile give me a bell! :D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  14. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

unfortunately the only way to find out is to fit. 5 on 4.5" 13" would be very doubtful... :(