Register now to get rid of these ads!

5.8 didn't kill the Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LaGrasta, Jul 29, 2008.

1. My 63 is up on jacks prepped for a C4 tranny swap, no wheels. We just had a 5.8 quake and I immediately thought, "oh crap, the car"! I called home and the wife reports all is well. I guess I'll brace it a bit more after I get home tonight. Yikes?

2. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Ya, that would make me a little nervous too. Glad it's still in the air.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

haha, yeah- YIKES! glad to hear it's okay though...

4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The house is 7 miles from the epicenter, so I hauled ass home to survey the damage. I just knew with as hard and long as it hit the garage would be jacked up.
    A picture in the bookcase fell over... go figure.:rolleyes:

5. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

shit... i just realized mine on jackstands too. hope it still is

6. I have yet to hear of any real damage. I'm so surprised, it felt like it went on forever. Everyone was under tables, desk, etc. After awhile, people started getting up and running outside while it was still going on. It lasted long enough that I think people were thinking this is the "big one".
    I sort of stayed in one place in disbelief. I just never experienced a quake for more than a few seconds.

7. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

WOOOO, That was a good one, what pisses me off is the kids are home alone and I couldnt get any cell service.(no land line at home) I thought that cell phones were supposed work good in emergencies? (SPRINT PCS)

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

yeah, but how's the wife? :eek: :D

Glad all are ok!

9. Splinter

Splinter

Howzabout bein' UNDERNEATH a project when it happens? I was in the rear wheel well of the El Camino, welding in the new wheelhouses when it hit. Kinda dicey for a minute there. The only damage was what I did to myself gettin' the hell out from under there! Earthquakes are kinda like Orgasms, you never know how hard they're gonna be or how long they'll last....

10. Yeah it rolled in Simi Valley too.

11. The wife is fine, she's used to them growing up in SoCal. I'm from Ohio and now after being here for over 2 decades, I'm finally coming to terms with these monsters. They are huge and enveloping but in the end hardly anyone gets hurt, they last but a few seconds, and it's over.

12. HaHa, you're right. This was a girl's wet dream: long, hard, and lasting!

13. fuck! thought you were putting in a 351 or something.

14. George

George

That's what I was thinking!:cool:

15. shock

shock

Hahaha me three, I thought his 351 blew up and I was gonna see some carnage.:D

16. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Hope everyone over there is okay!

17. Searcher

Searcher

During the Northridge Quake in 94 I had a diesel truck in a heavy truck shop in San Fernando. My truck was inside getting an inframe overhaul, and all was well ( Steel building).

A big bus outside was on jack stands and fell off, and the stands went through the floor of the bus.

In fact ? I think it happened twice with an aftershock a week later. We were having after shocks as big as this quake we had today for weeks.

The place was a mess. The parts department had everything on the floor. I remember they had a big pile of new nuts and bolts in a pile on the shop floor for months til they sorted them out.

That earth quake got your attention. Around the corner from where I lived ( close to the epicenter ) a gas main broke and gas was coming up through the pavement, a car came along and ignited it. That car sat there for days all burned up as I recall.

18. wfopossum

wfopossum

I'll take hurricanes over earthquakes,at least you have some of oh s#*t time before it happens,but then again maybe thats worse.

19. That wasn't a big quake. Yawn...

20. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

No Shit !! WTF ?? Amazing what gets People ruffeled up.

21. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

They do work good, but when you put that many people without land lines on their cell phones, it jams the networks up... plus if there was a power outage, there could have been towers down also...

22. i was also thinking 351 but i ususally dont hear a bout the weather in ca

23. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

...coudn't have been THAT bad...I didn't feel a thing here...:D

24. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

got home yesterday and found my jackstands about 1" off their mark on the center of the frame! glad they're wide framerails. woulda sucked if it fell off 1 jackstand with no crossmember on it, and the back wheels on the ground

25. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

true you get more warning time, but when you look at how many are killed or injured by hurricanes as opposed to how many are killed or injured by earthquakes, the numbers speak for themselves... espesially when you take into consideration how densely packed l.a. and sanfrancisco's populations are.