Register now to get rid of these ads!

5.5 bolt circle Ford truck smoothie wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rumblegutz, Jul 25, 2009.

1. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

I’d like to know, year and size (width between beads and 15 or 16 inch) of Ford truck wheels with the old Ford 5.5 inch bolt pattern. Which are smoothie type and when the smoothie style stoped on Ford trucks.

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

IF you consider this a smooth wheel ... it is a 56 F-100 Ford pickup wheel. It does have a few slots if you look closely. It comes in a 4.5 width and a 5.5 width I believe. It is a 15 inch rim but Ford made some in 16 inch also. The most narrow 16 inch ones came on 1940 Fords with a V-60 and are pretty difficult to find.

Wheel Vintigues and others makes NEW rims that look like mine. With most any wheel bolt pattern you want .. the width you want and the back spacing you need. ALL ... for not a LOT of $$$. and they are brand NEW ... :D

3. SSMichelinman

SSMichelinman

I realize this is crazy old....over 10 years, now. That is not entirely accurate.
    Ford cars were 15" and used the 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern from the 40's up until well, I'm not sure. Trucks used the 16" wheel from the 40's up until 1963. They were plentiful back in 2009. They are getting more scarce. Car and truck wheels had the same bolt pattern. I know.becuae Inout car wheels on the front of myb'62 and the rear were truck 16". I widened all of them.
    1964 through 1966 you had the option of getting 15" or 16". The bolt pattern was the same until around 1989, I think but, the style changed, too. They went to the outie style. The earlier years were the innie style. The innie style is shown in the picture of the red wheels.
    I may not be exactly correct but, I'm pretty darn close.

GordonC and Petejoe like this.
  4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may be old but its still relevant! I have a front end shimmy on my roadster and was wondering which steel wheels I could use to swap out my 35 wires and tires to see if the problem lies there. I was wondering the same thing. I have some early 60's F100 steel 15s with the 5 1/2" bolt pattern and am going to try them.

5. Deuce Roadster was the go to guy when he was still with us before he passed away, I am pretty sure he knew what he a was talking about! HRP

GordonC and harpo1313 like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, you are not exactly correct. Deuce Roadster actually had it all correct, and you had more mixed up than correct.

GreenMonster48 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.