Register now to get rid of these ads!

4x2 rochesters on a 383 stroker?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ADReese, Jul 22, 2010.

1. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

What can I expect using 4 rochester small base 2g's on an offy 4x2 manifold? My engine is a 383 stroker, 9.7 compression, ported 291 camel humps with 2.02 valves and a comp xe268 cam. It is going into a T roadster with a 2200 stall and 3.50 gears. From your experience is the manifold/carb combo going to have any street manors at all? I love the way it looks with the polished manifold and the chromed carbs, but I don't want to fight it all the time.:) Let me know what you think. Thanks in Advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

That setup is being run, as we speak, on small, more docial engines with great results. Just be sure they are synched to run all together because with that Offy you can't run progressive or you will take a chance of leaning out a cylinder or 2.

3. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

That sounds promising! I've read experiences that have been all over the place on this set up. Some say its great and other say its a finicky, high RPM turd. Anyone have any experience with this set up? Any suggestions on a base line set up with my motor with regards to jet sizes, etc?

4. carbking

carbking

It is possible you will have more problems with the chrome on the carbs than the 4x2 set-up.

If the chromer did not understand chroming zinc alloy, there may be metal slumpage. Have had LOTS of chromed carbs sent to us to rebuild because they didn't perform correctly. Open them up and metal slumpage turned them into junk. All you can do is take pictures and send the pictures and the carbs back to the owner.

Not saying don't chrome them, but discuss it with the chromer to make certain he/she understands chroming zinc alloy. It CAN be done.

Eventually, chrome will start to flake. Flakes will get in the small passageways.

There are other ways to make the carbs look nice.

Jon.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

There was a tech article in the last Hod Rod Deluxe mag where they tested some old intakes on a modified 283. They tested 2 single 4 barrel intakes. 2 dual carb intakes, one 3-2s intake, and one 4-2s intake.
    The 4-2 offey intake produced the most hp and torque but at the cost of low end performance. In other words it's a good race only intake. Lousy for the streets.

6. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-----------------------

[ "The 4-2 offey intake produced the most hp and
    torque but at the cost of low end performance. In
    other words it's a good race only intake. Lousy for
    the streets
    " ]
    - But hat was on a little 3-inch stroke
    283, 283's don't produce very much low-end torque to
    begin with. On a 100-inch bigger 383 stroker motor, the
    low-end torque with the 4-2's *may* (or may not) be
    a bit less than the same engine with a 'single-4bbl and
    a conventional dual-plane intake set-up, but I'll bet it'll
    still make more than enough low-end torque for decent
    street driving - and once you're above 3000 or 3600 rpm,
    I'll bet the 4-2's'' will l peg you to the seat and give you
    whiplash! :)

Mart3406
    =======================================

7. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming! That review in HRD was one of the reasons I was having second thoughts. Their testing didn't make the manifold sound very street friendly.