Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4x2 Holley 94 Linkage assistance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NewToMeT, Feb 12, 2019.

1. NewToMeT

NewToMeT

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to to improve a linkage issue. 283 SBC with Offy intake, 4x2 Holley 94. In process of restoring everything, rebuilding carbs, etc.

Here is the problem. Has a custom linkage that runs down the center. What this means is that the driver side bank of carbs, the linkage directly engages the throttle shaft (blue). The linkage on the passenger side however engages though the throttle cap (Red) linkage moves the lever, which then engages the cap, which then turns the throttle shaft). There is a bunch of play in this (maybe 20 degrees of movement before it engages)

Ultimately what this means is the driver side bank of carbs is opening well before the passenger side bank kicks in, which I think is contributing significantly to running not well (i.e. one side of the motor plugs indicate rich, the other side just right....)

Any tricks of the trade here? Cut and reweld the linkage to offset the passenger side and remove the play? Something I can do to the caps or levers themselves e.g. add some materials so to remove the play. Something I am missing?

Most linkages I see for sale are set up to be working off the same side of the carb. Want to keep the center arrangement if possible (my dad built the rod in the 70's), but ultimately running well is more important.

InkedLinkage Issue_LI.jpg 20190121_163900.jpg

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm currently doing the same manifold but with Rochester 2j 's. This little video does show how I worked the linkage out, Your carb attachments are in a different place but that shouldn't be a problem. If I can help, shoot me a pm

NewToMeT likes this.
  3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A94EB97F-312D-4B23-B37E-FD0B37EFF600.jpeg
    I am probably wrong as usual but I have a feeling you are hooked up to the hand throttle linkage which does have 20% play in it. Push the round cap in and give it 1/2 turn and the spring will release the assembly. If this the case you will need a clamp on to the shaft type aftermarket arm and bolt in a linkage ball to that arm. Like hrm2k has used in his video. You will need a threaded adjustment rod between carbs to ensure all butterflies seal evenly.
    A few cups of coffee worth of reading here.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/links-to-holley-94-technical-info.286574/

4. NewToMeT

NewToMeT

Ah ha. Bolt on throttle arm. That is the search term I needed. Opens up a whole new world of possibility :)

hrm2k likes this.

5. NewToMeT

NewToMeT

Thanks! looking good. Will keep the video in my inspiration file.

hrm2k likes this.