Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4sp drivability question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLACKPRIMERFAN, Mar 30, 2015.

1. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

I had my model A chassis built with the intention of running a sbc , with a t5 s10 trans,a 9" posi rear end with 4:11 gears, & Coker Firestone 7.50/16" tires. I have purchased all of the above, but now ( and this is a gggggrrrreat time to 2nd guess) I'm starting to question weather the s10 trans is worth rebuilding? I'm concerned it will not hold up to 300 hp or so? I've learned the nwc is only rated to 250 ft lbs of so, and even though I don't plan on racing the car, I don't want to have to baby it all the time either.
    So my question is, anyone running 4 speeds behind SBC's in their roadsters anymore? Should I consider a Muncie? Which gear ratio should I look for? I shifter location going to interfere with the Glide bench seat I already bought? What rpms can I roughly expect on highway driving to shows?

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

That tire is 650 revs/mile x 4.11 is 2670 RPM at 60, 3120 at 70. Use the T5. I beat on one for years with only problem a fluid leak on speedo hole.

3. indyjps

indyjps

Id build the T5 to better specs if possible. I dont like worrying about it or babying it

EDIT Did a little reading, I guess a nwc T5 can't be upgraded to wc t5 specs.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

That light a car with fairly narrow tires will probably break loose the tires before the trans as long as
    you do not abuse it. A four speed would be more traditional for a late 60's/70's style build, a 3 speed
    would be more 50's style.

5. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

Thanks for posting the highway revs. Was your t5 nwc? How much hp were you pushing?

6. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

I was thinking I would be able to convert it to a wc, until recently as well.

7. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

Anybody have a 4sp in a '30-31 A with a glide bench seat to figure if the shifter will clear the seat?

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The rule is don't give it the works until the car is moving and the clutch is fully engaged. Old time hot rods with 300HP engines and old Ford and Chev trans did this and got away with it for years.

Slam shifting and especially revving up and popping the clutch from a standing start is what blows trannies.

afaulk likes this.
  9. Tony

Tony

Yep and yep. :)

Seriously, thats basically the deal with a non w/c T5, or any moderatly weak transmission.
    You can still have fun and not rip it apart as long as your not always snapping the clutch or speed shifting...

Im no expert on anything, but i do have some experience with that transmission and too much power going through it.

My 32 has a blown 331 thats probably a true mid 500 hp (prob a lil more ) and i have 4:10 gears and 10" cheater slicks.
    Broke the trans twice within the first 3 weeks the car was on the road.
    Learned when to, and when not to get crazy with the clutch/throttle and it has lived 2 years since then.
    I can still snap the clutch and hammer it from a roll and put it sideways but it isnt dealing with the hard shock of a stopped, or near stopped launch..
    Chances are you'll spin the skinny's before something will break...which really isnt a bad thing.

And as was mentioned, you could always upgrade the guts with some better stuff.
    There is a place i believe is called Astro machine (sometiing like that ) that makes components that make the trans withstand around 450 ft lbs.
    Worth looking in to.

I need a tko or id go that route.

Tony

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You might look at the bench seat shifter for tri-five chevy's.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Assuming you are still considering a Muncie

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

look around here… see what suits you.
    http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=102

I own a 5 gear Richmond(Brute!) a t-5 od unit(great long distance tranny) and a late 60's BBF 4 speed- Tranny.
    all great. all have different aspects.
    How do you want your hotrod to perform?
    off the line?
    long distance or just local?
    Top speeds?

13. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

This is all good information that you guys are offering. I guess since the frame was setup for the t5 and I already have the donor transmission laying on the garage floor, I will put the money into rebuilding it at least once & see how long it lasts?
    It sure would be nice to be able to beat the hell out of car, like we did when we were teenagers, and not have a care in the world as to weather or not the car or us lived to see another day? :)

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

5 speeds are lame...Muncie/BW 4 speeds are traditional, and they held up behind BBC's

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Tony

Tony

Ouch! You hurt my feeling Larry! Haha

3wLarry likes this.
  16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you really want to beat on it there are heavy duty flywheels, clutches, transmissions and rear axles that will stand the gaff. Dodge hemi drag racers came stock with Dana 60 rear axles out of 3/4 ton trucks.

I would sooner use a lighter, easier to use clutch, a lighter easier shifting trans and a lighter, better riding rear axle and baby it a little but to each his own.

17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never found any tranny that can beat the ol' time feel of a well adjusted Comp Plus on an early T-10 or a Muncie...

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  18. Wow 300 ponies, you better get a Lenco. :rolleyes:

I am not a big OD fan myself, so take what I am going to say with a grain of salt. A 4 speed is more traditional of that is important to you, and 300 hp isn't much, I like Muncie transmissions real well but the cost is out there and for 300 HP a Saginaw will suit you just fine. Of course that choice is in your wallet not mine, run what makes you happy or comfortable. 3100 RPM for a carbureted small block isn't much ti turn and you may actually hurt yourself at lower RPM at highway speeds.

19. You might be able to find a world class T5 in good condition for the price of rebuilding that one.

20. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

Yeah, I wasn't braggin', or I would have shouted out the cubes ... "3-0-5"!!!! You made me do it!

21. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

I'm try to wrap my head around the idea of the Camaro/s10 hybrid. Around these parts the camaro t5 aren't too common, and I don't know what I'm looking for really? I've been researching the topic with the Hamb search.
    I'm surprised no shops offer this combo already freshened up?

22. LOL hence the :rolleyes: guy. I figured you weren't braggin', just info.

Someone is going to suggest that you get a Stone crusher or gravel pounder or volcano beater or whatever they are calling the M-22 these days, but if you go Muncy, there is not reason why you shouldn't they are a good tranny, a T-10 will more then fill your bill with that little car and the small displacement SBC. May save you a buck or two when you are just trying to finish up a build.

Got to laugh, people scoff at the little small blocks. Built right they can be runners. Back in the '80s there was a guy that was the local short track guru where my mom lived. His go to engine was the 305 and he built winners and everyone knew it. ;)

On that Camaro 5 speed, the firebird uses the same tranny. That may help you widen your search and you are going to need that S-10 tail shaft to use either.

23. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I got a 30 coupe with a bengles seat and a tri five shifter. I had to cut and bend the shifter near the base to get it to clear the seat. I'm also 5'11 and have the seat almost all the way back. Roadster might not have the room, but you could just notch the seat. I run a 3.08 gear so I can really haul ass on the freeway. But I got a quickchange so I can change it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Or heaven forbid use a Toyota pickup seat, they made them with a notch for a couple of years. :D

I don't recall who it was but someone used to make a kit (it was marketed in JC Whittney) that "relocated the shifter farther forward for use in cockpits that were cramped." I imagine that it is something that someone could do on their own with a little thought.

25. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Go with a 4 speed. Had 327 and 4 speed in mine for years with no problems. When you look at the hurst shifter it screams 60s.

26. afaulk

afaulk

Put a 4 spd knob on your shifter and keep yer mouth shut about it. BWAaaaa!

27. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

The T5 gets a lot of print about being "weak" but it is really only 5th gear that can't take big torque. The T5 is really a pretty good 4 speed with an overdrive 5th added in the tail shaft area, and when they added 5th it is just a short stub shaft extension on the cluster that is stuck in the tailshaft housing and it does not have a support bearing on the end so if you apply lots of torque to it the shaft breaks off! If you look at the first 4 gears they are pretty robust and can take 300 hp pretty well.

Rex

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still have yet to see that actually happen, Rex.

29. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

gimpyshotrods wrote: "Still have yet to see that actually happen, Rex." What do you mean?

Rex

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You claim that 5th can break off.

I have been installing and driving T5's for over 20-years.

I have installed about 150.

I have NEVER seen this happen.

I have seen a WC and NWC T5 broken in just about every way, but never that.

How about you post a picture?