Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 4C or circle 4 backing plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greazhonkey, Nov 5, 2009.

1. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

As my hot rod sickness progresses, I have become obsessed with different backing plates. Does anyone know the proper name for the 4C or circle 4 backing plates? I heard a very knowledgeable swap meet vendor call them 4C's and Rod and Custom call them Circle 4. Does anyone know the history of these backing plates? Who made them, when were they produced, and are the ones that pop up on ebay repops? I have seen older ones that have the metal ring around the outside like Lincolns and I have two pairs that don't have this ring.
    ******Pic's added******

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

3. doctorZ

doctorZ

this sounds strangely familiar but i am at a loss. were these the beefed up lincoln style plates that were repopped a while back? refresh my memory.

*EDIT

Yea, they are the ones I was thinking of. I just checked with Bobby Green at the Old Crow Speed Shop and he still has a set for sale. I'll PM his phone number to you and hopefully you can work something out.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  4. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Thanks DoctorZ

5. designs that work

designs that work

I believe they were made in San Jose or the Bay area in the early to mid sixties for Super Modifeds that ran San Jose, Fresno and other tracks. The ones I seen were used with buick finned drums. They were called 4C.

6. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Thanks for the info

7. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Anyone else want to add something?

8. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

9. greazhonkey

greazhonkey