Register now to get rid of these ads!

4banger OHV...Roof or Riley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kaptain Hotrod, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Kaptain Hotrod

Kaptain Hotrod

Im looking to convert my '29 A 4banger to OHV (or find a B block), but have been going back and forth between a Riley 2 port and the Roof 101 Cyclone. I like the look of both, but Im kind of fond of the Roof 101, but it looks like the Riley conversion might be better on the performance side.

I know there are some brilliant 4banger folks on here that could give better insight as to which may perform better, and pro's and cons between the two. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. walls

walls

Post this in the monthly banger thread too. You'll probably get more responses in there.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB! The guys in the Banger Meet will help you, I don't know a thing about the ROOF 101, some photos would be great. Are the Riley and ROOF heads originals or current reproductions? Bob

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  4. Kaptain Hotrod

Kaptain Hotrod

Stole these from the secretsofspeed website

Attached Files:

5. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

The Roof may (?) be better as it is a 4-port, but has a funky combustion chamber. A 4-port Riley would be best if you could find one.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

OK, now I know what the ROOF head looks like, I'll post some original literature I have on it later. The 4Port Riley is the best F Head out there IMO for use on an A or B block.

7. They both have great "WOW" factor, but I think you'll get the best bang for the buck with the Riley... did I REALLY just say that? :D

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I know Don Vesco got a Riley 4Port over 200MPH at Bonneville, I don't think the ROOF will do that. Bob

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Here is an original catalog listing. Bob

Attached Files:

10. The Riley has a bigger following and to me looks better,,HRP

11. Kaptain Hotrod

Kaptain Hotrod

Does anyone reproduce a Riley 4 port? How much of a performance difference are talking between the 4 and 2 port Riley?

The roof has some wow factor to it for sure. I think the Riley setup would fit better in its future belly tank home.

12. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Overhead 4 bang in a belly tank... YES!
    Have been watchin' from time to time the growth of this Roof 101 Cyclone. And would like to know if it has really proven itself, must be on their 3rd run by now. Not sure if I totally like the look?
    The Cragar/Miller style looks best. IMO
    Would like to know more of the four port Rileys and availability.
    Keep us posted Kaptain Hotrod :)