Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Shoebox Trans/Engine Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by madmal04, Apr 4, 2009.

1. madmal04

madmal04
    from CA

I have a 49 Shoebox with the original trans still in it. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it's 3 speed and has overdrive. Was thinking a Ford 3.03... Anyways, I was just wondering 1) if anyone knows exactly what it is and 2) if anyone knows if it will bolt up to a Ford small block 302 without an adapter?

2. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Edit:

After looking I'm not so sure. I know for sure y-blocks will fit.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Should be able to use 60s-70s 289/302 bellhousing on it without an adaptor.
    (I think!!????)

edit: not sure on the depth of those belhousings, but the bolt patterns should be correct.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  4. If it is original, it is a Borg Warner model with electric solenoid engaged overdrive unit. Here is a link to eveything you need to know about this transmission:

http://speedprint.com/deves50/overdriveindex.php

This will bolt up to the 302 with thr proper bellhousing adapter but it was not know to be the strongest transmission, there are alot more choices out there that would be more reliable. Easier to maintain and repair as well. Try this link for all the Shoebox knowledge you may need:

http://www.shoeboxford.com/

Good luck with the Shoebox, keep us posted. Also we like pics of the cars progress...

5. madmal04

madmal04
    from CA

Thanks. I want a manual, because I'm used to that, and it gives me something to do while driving, and I've never done the 3 on the tree shifting. That'd be pretty cool. I guess we'll have to see what I can afford and so on.