Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 plymouth gasser off the table

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreggAz, Jul 27, 2007.

1. GreggAz

GreggAz

here are some pics before I leave for the weekend, We just rolled it off the frame table. I posted some other shots a while back. its getting a bbc, and 700r4.

Attached Files:

2. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I love it. I would keep it all mopsr though.

3. The Shocker

The Shocker

4. Looks great! You're not gonna paint it,right? Give it the "surviver" look. Leave it dirty.

5. GreggAz

GreggAz

I dont have much say in the choices, the car is for a customer. Monday, if the light is better (no clouds) I will try to get some better shots.

6. That sucks! Hope he doesn't fuck it up and try to make it "pretty".

7. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, don't make it too nice.
    Takes away from the image, y'know!
    SCHWEET!

8. GreggAz

GreggAz

a couple more photos.

It will have a 1 piece, tilt front end, and a moon tank set into the grill, fenderwell headers, and no trim on the body.

a little more floor work, a bunch of rust repair in the body, and mounting controls are next.

Attached Files:

9. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

Gregg, NICE!!
    I can only imagine how nice this one's put together, knowing your talent!
    Sweet!

10. Reminds me of this one I was involved with. 320 inch GMC full of McGurk stuff....also had a 421 inch Pontiac in it for awhile.

Attached Files:

11. GreggAz

GreggAz

Johnny, you dont have any other pictures of that do you? I would love to see more, anything you have. I am trying to convince the customer to keep the trim under the windows, it looks great on that car.

12. skipstitch

skipstitch

OMAGAWD that's BAD!!! I just aquired airbags for my old plymouth.... maybe I should have looked for a straight axle!!! Can't wait for more pix!

13. T-Roy

T-Roy

OH HELL YEAH! Been contemplating building my '50 up as a gasser. Bitchin' car man!

-Troy

14. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

thats cool, needs 3 pedals tho.

15. I may have a black & white snapshot of the car with the Pontiac engine showing. It will need to be scanned however. These were taken over 40 years ago. :)

Here are two terrible scans of that Plymouth. Sorry....that's the best I have to offer.

Attached Files:

16. Notorious

Notorious

That's gonna be bad-ass! The tilt nose will be one just more nice touch too. :cool:

17. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

That thing looks great... I think you nailed the stance.

18. I like it!!!!

19. NealinCA

NealinCA

I think you have the answer now! Hahahaha.

Neal

20. GreggAz

GreggAz

21. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

That looks great! No paint would look best in my opinion, what it currently has just sets it off. :cool:

22. GreggAz

GreggAz

thanks Johnny!

I have been Pm ing with some guys, and thought I would add some of that to the post, and some more photos of detail monday.

This car has been a TON of work.

it sits High, almost 14" to the rockers.

to even get it that low, I had to z the front frame about 4 inches, and use a 2 inch drop axle.I think one shot shows the z. the big problem we have is that the front frame rails could stand to be closer together, however the cleanest place to cut was just behind the front body mount, and that put us extremely wide. Steering is also a problem, with how close the axle centerline is to the firewall, a cross steer box is a tight fit. the rear is hung with speedway ladder bars, and coilovers, the front is a MAS axle with ford spindles, and a saginaw box. I "tubbed" the rear wheel wells, and built an entire new floor, to repair rust, and clear the drag radial tires the owner chose. There is still a long way to go, my first gasser, so I am figuring a lot out as I go.

23. Cool car!!! That brings back memories,of an all time favorite of mine.Sometime in the early 70s there was a '49 Plymouth with 426 Hemi in 'Street Machine"magazine(sorry i don't remember exactly when)that sat very high,but level.Very tough looking car,that has always stuck in my mind.I'll have the issue,but it could be days to find it.:eek:(2 page B/W feature,anyone know it?)

24. 29.....the Plymouth you are remembering might be the original Ramchargers car called "the High and Mighty". It has been discussed on this forum. You might find it by doing a search.

25. GreggAz

GreggAz

a few more shots,
    first the clamps used in both the trans mount drop out, and the roll cage.
    Made by Camburg, intended for off road applications. clean, and simple, two socket head bolts hold them together.

Attached Files:

26. GreggAz

GreggAz

some shots of the new floor, and firewall, as well as the spring hangers (more work needed here), and front end.

Attached Files:

27. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I like the last pic of the bossman lookin' over your work.

Randy on the HAMB, lookin' good!

Car is cool even with the radials!

28. GreggAz

GreggAz

Randy was showing the owner... HE was HAPPY!

we got the ok to take the car all the way. I cant wait to get it done

29. GreggAz

GreggAz

30. No,i know that car,this was a homebuilt street car.it also had a tilt front end.I will have acopy of the mag,but it could take some time to find it.