Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Plymouth coupe is victim of a storm....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47Plym, May 16, 2009.

1. We had a big time wind storm thru the Joplin area last Friday morning.
    Winds up to 90 miles an hour (possibly more).
    This huge, old walnut tree was uprooted and landed with perfect aim
    on my first series 49 Plym coupe.

http://[​IMG]

Before the leafy limbs were removed.

Mashed that top real good.......

After buying the car a few months ago, had recently gotten a 1954 flathead
    six put in with split manifold and two cherry bomb mufflers. Sounded pretty
    good. Next step was going to be fix the brakes so it could be driven....then
    get some insurance.

Guess this one may turn out to be a parts car, unless I find another body
    around the area.

2. skunx1964

skunx1964

3. the wood in that tree is worth a lot of money .If it is good at least as much as the car.

4. remove the top, get the car back to as 'square' as possible and go top less.

5. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

you are more patient than i am. i woulda set fire to the whole thing and watched it burn.

sorry to see that happen to any car, specially one that someone really cares about.

6. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

I agree with 4t6ford and go topless.

We had our trampoline take flight during a storm and land on top of our '46 Chev, a week out from super chev sunday, got it beaten and resprayed in time but i'm thinking yours is gunna need a bit more than a spit and polish.

7. RichG

RichG

So sorry guy...:(

8. Don't know how far you're willing to go to pick up a parts car to fix yours, but there's a Plymouth or Dodge, think it's a Plymouth, coupe out at Yarbrough Auto Parts near Aragon GA that's rusted pretty bad in the floors and quarters and would be difficult to save, but it would have everything you need to replace the damaged parts on your car. Running gear is complete but condition unknown. It was up on wheels when I was out there the last time and would be easy enough to get on a trailer. PM me if that's something you want to pursue. The owner is a decent guy and will make you a fair price on the whole thing.

9. keeffer

keeffer

i have a 48 you could have cheap good body (that sucks)

10. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Theres just nothing a person can say, that can help, but I hate that happened to your coupe!!!
    I guess a person can just be thankful nobody was hurt!!!
    The ply looked real solid too.
    I always loved the model of plymouth.

11. sololobo

sololobo

4t6 nailed it!! Topless or bust, is that a unintended pun? topless/bust?? At any rate don't waste that first ed. 49!! Good Luck~Sololobo~

12. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

Oh man, that stinks. I'm so sorry.

13. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

That's what I would do.

14. chad

chad

My vote too!!! Make it a convert!!

15. Mudville

Mudville

Sorry for the damage. I like the topless idea! Good Luck!

16. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Man that sucks! Cut the top off, fix the body, chop what is left of the windshield and add a carson top!

17. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Aw, man... that's really tough! Sorry to see the old girl in such a state!

Someone already mentioned selling that wood. Do it! There's your new body!

Bit of a haul, but Vintage Auto here in Mountain Home has several old Plymouth/Dodge coupes with good bodies. I'll take a closer look at 'em next time I'm out there and see if there's a gem amongst the rust, if you're interested.

I grew up in southern Missouri (about 80 miles east and a bit south from Joplin). Think the distance will be about 1,300 miles from there to here.

18. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bummer , Check to see if your Homeownres Ins. can do any thing for you since its a antique and all. Just a thought.

19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

So sorry to see that happen...

I think the "Kid" nailed it though. IF it were mine thats the route I'd take.
    A strong, tubular and fully padded Carson style lift off top.
    With the right kinda mounting system (pin location) the car would retain a good portion of its structural stiffness...plus you get a real custom look.

I KNOW its still horrible in your mind right now...but eventually you could turn this into a plus instead of a minus.
    The sky is the limit for that body now and if it were mine it would be draggin' ass instead of going in the parts pile.

Hope it works out for ya.

20. I don't see a victim of a storm....I see an opportunity! I also say chop the windshield frame and Carson top. Taildragger with a split manifold straight 6. I like what I see in my mind!:cool:

21. Same type of thing happened to my '50 Hudson Pacemaker coupe after my shop collapsed on it in a tornado, a few years back. The top was crushed. If the front sheet metal had not been knocked 19" to the left, I would've cut the top off altogether, taken the door glasses out, and built a roadster from it.

I feel your pain, believe me.

[​IMG]

22. Homeowner's Insurance won't do squat on a vehicle. Buildings and such, yes. Vehicles, no. I know first-hand.

Best you can do is claim the car as an uninsured loss at tax-time.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  23. RAY With

RAY With

I like carson tops but looking at your car I would cut the top off and get a doner car for another top--Then do a mild chop and since its flat glass no problem there so go for it.

24. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

OH GOD!! So sorry man!! I feel for you!

Ian

25. crud. I would go topless too at this point if you can't find a replacement body.

26. Yep, remove the top and call her "Miss California"

27. kustombypook

kustombypook

That is sickening.

28. hkestes

hkestes

Bad thing for Bob is that he already has a real nice 47 Plymouth convertable. He also siad that the cowl is tweeked pretty good on the drivers side and that while it is not noticable in the pictures it is bowed out on both quarters. :(