Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 Plymouth Chop/Sedan to Hardtop-

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choprods, Aug 10, 2005.

1. metalshapes

metalshapes

Looks real nice...

Huge improvement!

2. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Got any "in progress" shots of the rear window as you went?

3. wayfarer

wayfarer

Somebody asked about some different grilles. My '49 wayfarer:
    [​IMG]

4. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

[​IMG]Awesome ride, man!!! :cool:

Later.

Troy.

5. tankwilson

tankwilson

I am thinking about a 50 plymouth grill. That will really screw up people. Hmmmm chopped/hardtopped plymouth with 49 bumpers and 50 grill.... what the hell is it?? Oh well still looks killer.

6. I agree 100% about the flatness of the roofline! That Chevy/mopar photochop is pretty killer, that car NEEDS to be built!

7. My dad had his dad's 49 Plymouth Business coupe with new paint and in pretty good shape and sold it for $500 in 1978. Yes, there are only two zeros on that price. I was 11 and I guess it was too long until I was 16. He always regreted selling that car. I saw it once in Claremore, OK in about 1988. Still looked the same.

I LOVE mail-slot windows. The chop looks good.

8. I have to agree w/ moving the license plate down, it will allow the lines to flow better on the car from the roof.

I like it, are you going to drop it down more? What are your plans?

congrats!

9. tankwilson

tankwilson

I kinda hate to say this but i think i will bag the rear end. It is the only way i can have it look good and still be able to get in my driveway. I am new to this so any help in the airbag setup would be greatly appericated.

Thanks
    matt

10. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Has anyone got photos of one of the 'three window' versions of these dodges? i think they are a business coupe? real long rear deck on em.
    they would look amazing with a hard chop and the tail scraping.
    :D

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

what a HUGE improvement. the stock roofs are fugly.

they do look flat across the middle of the top. not knockin this car, it looks great, but i think slanted B-pillars (no hardtop) would have helped break up that look in the profile. but then again it kinda has a certain charm to it with that long flat area at the top of the side glass. it kinda lets you know that it is still a Mopar and not a Chevy. leaning the back glass like you did does WONDERS for the profile. a Chevy roof would be pretty killer but it would take away it's Mopar identity. if you wanted to build a full blown custom (and you WANTED people to scratch their heads and wonder what it is) that might be something to concider.

there certainly is alot of potential in those old Mopars if you realy stop to thin about it... and your willing to break out the torches and do some SERIOUS surgery.

cool car. it'll look real good slammed on the ground. :cool:

12. tankwilson

tankwilson

I didn't want it to look like "who's the poor boy that can't afford a merc so he made is plymouth look like one" look. Kenny has done a wonderfull job and I love the way it is coming out. The more i look at it i even like stock location of the license plate. How many Kustoms do you look at and they start to all look the same to a certain extent.:confused: I am definatly going for the scratching your head look:eek:

Thanks

13. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Deck'em dick'em Dodge'em...........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    xxx
    Brandy

14. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

1950 Plymouth chopped and dropped.........nice car!! VERY nice car!!
    xxx
    Brandy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ratrodford

ratrodford

looks great.... i had a 49 dodge a few years ago....makes me wish i still had it

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

NIIIICE!!! :cool:

17. disturber

disturber

Looks great. 50's mopars have a square look, in more ways than one. That chop does alot for it.

18. ZAP POW BAM..... HOLY INSPIRIATION BATMAN!!
    a month ago in a moment of desperation(needed a ride home) i bought this homely little thing...couldnt decide wether to sell it or hack it...
    77,ooo original,one family...NO rust !!!
    Drove it 100 miles before i even checked the bodily fluids !:)
    I think i may know what to do with it now !!:):)
    very nice work and thanx

Attached Files:

19. tankwilson

tankwilson

I was in kinda the same boat... Wasn't my first choice in a car but now after seeing it chopped, i love it. Bought it off a fellow HAMBER "scarliner" he was the one that told to check out the HAMB when i bought it. I did shortly there after and have really enjoyed and treasure the people and friends on here. :) Sorry got kinda sappy there..... better now:cool:

Thanks
    matt

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  20. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

There's nothing I could add which hasn't been said before.Please finish the car in best early 50's manner.I smoothed the welds on the roof for ya and man,that's good looking !

[​IMG]

This is just a "3 minute-special".As far as tires,I'd say 6.70's Firestones with 3 1/4" whitewall.

21. ian

ian

That really came out nice...good work.

22. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

23. Big Nick

Big Nick

Any updates on this project? Here is my 50 Dodge Business Coupe. We plan on choppin the hell out of it in a month or two and slammin it.
    [​IMG]

24. Looks real good Choprods...

The thing about thos era mopars that get me is the shape of the rear quarterwindows. I've always thought they were a bit too square. If I was going to build one (and I've always wanted to), I'd round out that corner a bit to make it match the angle of the newly laid down roof...

25. I realize Photoshop is easier than metalwork, but...

I can see what blueskies is saying, so I took a different tack, instead of changing the flat line across the top of the side glass, Darrin the door tops, like a Buick. Use the tops of another set of (longer) fenders to mimic the rear fender line and wedge section the door tops to meet it. Add some swoopy Buick style side sweeps, remove the rear fender trim and relocate the license plate.

26. atomickustom

atomickustom

I'm tall (6'3"), so maybe this is just my concern, but can you see out of a car that's chopped that far? Can a full-grown man such as myself get into it without head injury?

27. Big Nick

Big Nick

I hope not

28. desertdroog

desertdroog

I am a weirdo, but for some reason the slam straight down chop on these old ChryCos look good. Kind of like a stylized cartoony evil car. I do like the hardtop chop, great job. And then, when I look at the overall squareness of this blocky car, I dig the picture of the straight down lid lower. But only on these cars. A guy in Phoenix, has a 3 window coupe MoPar that is chopped and slammed. Looks fantastic. I only have pics in analog form and I don't have a scanner, so unfortunately I cannot share it with anyone.

Good to see someone is working with the old MoPars!

29. rjgideon

rjgideon

The 51-52 Plymouth grilles are pretty cool, but you just need to get rid of the bumper guards that are right in front of the teeth.

Attached Files:

30. tankwilson

tankwilson

Choprods is the man. Got best chop at Greaserama 07. Here's a pic from the pile up. Bagged it this year and changed the grill to a 50 plymouth. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that ask me "what year is that merc":eek:

Attached Files: