Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 plymouth bumpers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inlinr6, Aug 24, 2011.

1. inlinr6

inlinr6

Anyone running 49 plymouth bumpers?preferably on 42-48 fords?

2. I'm putting them on my 46 ford business coupe. It used to have them years ago. It still has a cut down on the front. I'm going to run my bumpers w/ out the bumper guards but w/ 49 chevy license frames. You might try Rik Hovings fotki site for custom cars. He has many pics of the fat fords with the 49 plymouth bumpers.
    Matt

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have some pics on my 47 Ford build thread ..its no where near a finished car yet !

4. inlinr6

inlinr6

I have a pair but they seem too narrow.it doesnt look like thes were narrowed at any time it looks like I have to notch the body for these to fit on my 48.

5. inlinr6

inlinr6

Ok,I see they fit the same on your car,I just dont have a apron on mine ,so if I pull it out further it will look ok.Your thread,Kool kemp has been a great help for me as I bought this as a basket case and missing most of the parts.I was trying to push the bumper back too far.

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Glad I could help some! I am not a huge fan of the bumpers pulled too far in, I like em out farther to me it makes the car seem a little longer :D

7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I got one just sitting in the shed

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 49 only 3-ribbed Plymouth bumper became the bumper of choice for the custom world for many years. How can there still be so many of these when they were used on the New Look production 49s? The early 49s of the Mopar lineup were all just continued production of the 48s until the New Look cars were ready.

9. tankwilson

tankwilson

I have one forsale in the classifieds.

10. slick a&t

slick a&t

A few I found in my saved pic's.

Attached Files:

11. inlinr6

inlinr6

Thanks for the great pics;this helps alot.I got a great deal on some rechromed from Royalshifter,he and mrs Shifter are some really nice people.

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

13. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have them on my 50 F1. (fairly similar profile to '48 car where the bumper fits I suppose)

The front fit pretty well but I had to widen the rear a few inches. Luckily I had two rears. The seams are currently hidden under the super ugly bumper guards. Plans call for adding nicer looking guards with the sides of the Plymouth parts grafted in to get a nice transition into the bumper.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just occurred to me I have a few photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like a few of the cars above are running a rear bumper on the front.