Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Mercury Headlight Mystery

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by JoeyV, Apr 16, 2012.

1. JoeyV

JoeyV
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from San Diego

Greetings! I have been trying to sort out the headlight electrics on my 49 Mercury. I changed the car from 6 to 12 volts, and replaced all of the bulbs. The headlights worked at that time. Then I replaced the Turn signal switch in the steering wheel (it wasn’t working) with a new switch for a 12 volt 56 Ford. At that point the headlights didn’t work (but there is no logical connection that I know of between the turn signal switch and the headlights). I replaced the Headlight switch, still no headlights. Then I replaced the floor mounted bright-headlight switch. Still no headlights. I checked that juice is going across the headlight terminals on the headlight switch when the headlight switch knob is pulled all the way out. I verified that the 2 fuses under the dash are good, and that there is juice going across the fuses and the 3 circuit breakers under the dash. When I connect a hot wire directly to the wire that feeds the headlights, there is no spark, as though there is a circuit “open” somewhere. Is there a fuse or some other path I should be checking to try to solve this? Electrics are not my strong suit, any suggestions would be appreciated…thanks!

2. ac0j

ac0j

How about the ground side???

3. How about using this forum as its intended????
    READ the "sticky" at the top of the page,,,INTRODUCE YOURSELF here,,,per HAMB Protocol....Then you may ask your question over in the main message board....

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome and what THEY said^^^^^^^. If it's got 12 volts and no workie, It's the ground.

5. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

6. JoeyV

JoeyV
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from San Diego

TommyD - Most interesting response & it makes sense! Do you suggest I try grounding the headlight switch or the headlights themselves? very cool answer...thanks!