Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 49 merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31ACoupe, Dec 1, 2017.

1. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

I wonder if anyone has ever put a 49-50-51 merc body on a 63 oldsmobile frame? I haven't tried to measure it yet but if anyone has done this please respond with whatever you can share. thanks,,,,,,

2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

It is an x member style frame and will not work . you would have to cut out the entire floor and fab from scratch. Way to much effort for very little improvement steering and handling wize. My brother has a 62 Impala with the same suspension.It is totally rebuilt and dose not handel any better than my 51.

anthony myrick likes this.
  3. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

thank you Anthony.....I wouldn't ordinarily want to do this swap but it just so happens-----. I picked up the 49 merc 4dr for a good price, no motor or tranny (I do have several flatties and trannies) and I also have had a 63 olds 4dr hardtop with a great 394 ci motor with the hi-compression heads. the tranny is bad in the olds but I did pick up a nice T400 for it. but, I got to thinking, the merc frame is broke and needs welding, why not switch it on the olds? that is what I am checking out. will go do some measuring today.

anthony myrick likes this.

4. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Any pics of the 49

5. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

yes but I don't know how to post pics on HAMB. will try.
    DSCN9971.JPG

Attached Files:

Torkwrench likes this.
  6. if its just a crack and not rot, weld it
    I learned a long time ago that using something just cause you have it can turn into a lot of work/money
    measure and reasearch
    a lot of guys have swapped frames on these cars with a lot of success
    a friend of mine had one with an Olds frame (70s? model)
    it fit and drove great
    the 394 is an excellent powerplant choice

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it is a very rare occurrence for a frame swap to be the best way to go on a 50's car.

8. 40grit

40grit

Dick Dean started using bpo chassis with firewall and floor pans back in the 80's.

I did the same thing with my 49 Merc. I used a '69 Skylark using the complete floorpan and firewall. It sure made one great driving car. The BBC and Muncie 4 speed became a factory bolt in.

John

9. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

the olds has a 122" wheel base and the 49 merc is 118". kinda rules out that swap.

10. 40grit

40grit

Changing the wheel base is no big deal. I had to lengthen the Skylark 4 inches but it was easily done.

I am not suggesting the Olds is a good choice. Only saying lengthening or shortening a frame is no big deal.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Dick Dean didn't need to post a question on the HAMB asking about if it would work or not. I didn't say it never works, but rarely.

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Invest your labor in dropping the 394 into the Merc and in rebuilding the Merc front suspension (with dropped spindles/springs, disc brakes if you so desire).

You'll be fine and be miles ahead on labor. Figure you'd be going through the same labor rebuilding the 63 Olds front suspension.

Body looks great on the Merc. I'd get it running and leave the body/drive it as is for at least awhile before doing paint.

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

A 394 won't bolt to a TH400.

14. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

thanks for the responses. I still don't know what to do yet, I don't have the skills to shorten the frame and where I live its hard to find someone that can do the work. I like the 63 olds, its a 4dr hardtop and the body is decent. the motor is powerful, not sure about the slim jim tranny, so far it won't shift but a friend said to push or pull it around in drive for a bit and maybe get the pump working. it was parked for almost 30 years. I got the turbo400 just in case, it came out of a 73 olds and I was told it was a bolt in to the 394 in case the slim jim tranny isn't any good. I am just trying to find the easiest way to get the merc on the road. DSCN9958.JPG