Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49 Merc shock tower replacement - Question about rivets

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by timdhawk, Jan 2, 2017.

1. timdhawk

timdhawk

I need to replace one of the shock towers on my 49 Merc frame. I have a replacement one but wondered about the rivets holding it on. Has anyone else had to replace one of these and if so how did you re-secure it? Can rivets like this still be had in this day and age? would good ol' grade 8 bolts work as an alternative?

Thanks

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You should be able to buy the rivets at any good industrial supply shop. They are not hard to use, all you need is a couple of hammers. They are made of soft steel that is easy to peen into shape. In case of very large rivets it helps to heat them with a torch.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put a new front crossmember in my '36 coupe. I used buttonhead capscrews to hold it on. They are grade 8 and I used red Loctite on them and torqued them to the max. I filled the hex holes with J&B Weld and sanded them smooth. After they were painted, I couldn't tell the difference. That was in 1995. I had no problems in the subsequent 8 years and the guy that bought it from me didn't either until he sold it to someone in New Zealand. If any of you Kiwi's have a Vinyard Green '36 3-window with a loose front crossmember, let this guy know right away!:D

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Similarly I used grade 8 domed button heads (Same profile as OEM rivet) with graded crimp nuts on my 46 Olds, once torqued up they are there to stay. Crimp nuts are way better than nylocs.

5. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER