Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 merc flate white or not

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott49mercury, Apr 9, 2013.

1. I have had my merc in black epoxy pimer for awhile and I'm thinking about a diffent color. I have been going red with the interior so white would look good with it I think. my problem is if I go satin white will it stain easy and what type of satin white paint should I go with. The epoxy primer is hot rod flatz and is streeky probably because of me but i am currently blocking it out and getting ready to repaint and would like some advise. I don't want to spend a ton on paint but would like it to last. I would like any advise and if you have seen other colors with red interior I am open to ideas.

2. Is there a reason that you do not want to go shiny?

It certainly would not be much more work to do so, and single stage gloss white can be had for a very reasonable price...

3. 1pickup

1pickup

I vote not. If you are going gloss, I think it would be great with some pinstriping. Flat = no

4. i know I could go shiny but I need to still do my chrome and I also want a glow, not really just flat. I think if I go gloss white that would just look plane and I think a satin finish with gloss red flames would look nice, just my thoughts.

5. jazz1

jazz1

If you are concerned about the satin paint staining lay a couple light coats of Flat Klearcoat. That will seal it up and make it easy to keep clean. The only other colours for red interior are red, black or silver...
    wife says pink also??

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)My favorite color of white is Vanilla Milk Shake. I have never seen a Merc in that color,but I'm sure it would be awesome!!!!!!!:D:eek::cool:

Attached Files:

7. Shiny white with some pearl/flake in the clear, or something along those lines would make the color "pop".

Gloss flames with satin paint has never been one of my favorites...

It is your car, and I'm sure that it will look good however you do it but, remember that you asked for our opinions. :)

8. I love flat colors but what little I have delt with flat white is that it is harder to keep clean even with flat clearcoat. The flat clears i have delt with tries to gloss the more you mess with it such as memoving scratches, trash, dry spray,sags ect. My vote, for what its worth, would be gloss, mainly because it easier to keep looking good. Im saying this as i am preping to shoot my "shop"truck flat red.

9. AdeQ8Styl

AdeQ8Styl
    from TEXAS!

For what its worth, Dixie DeLux from Bo Huff is flat white with gloss white flames. [​IMG]

10. thanks for the suggestions, I found a flat white thru Summit, its not real expensive and is a urethane so unlike rustoleum it could be painted over if i don't like it. Everybody says to go with gloss but I think for as little money that the summit brand is I can try it for a while and if I don't like it sand it or put a clear over it.

11. magneto57

magneto57

Flat..................rich

12. riley58

riley58

I think white would be a nice change. most of the mercs i see are black or purple.

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i sprayed this one with some white Epoxy for a guy. its actually a very very very very light gray..still looks white to me..sanded it with some 1000 grit to smooth it out. it turned out nice, looks clean and classy, if you lay it down nice, you just get more of an egg shell texture..

Attached Files:

14. slddnmatt,

that car looks awsome just what i was looking for, it has the glow I want. That car is clean and still looks mean. I think I will go ahead and do it white. I think I will paint it a flat white satin clear to keep it clean. what kind of epoxy did you use on that car i love it.

15. 54rat210

54rat210

I like flat. Flat shows the curves and the chrome better. How bout flat white with gloss flames??

16. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

17. castirondude

castirondude

That looks nice actually. I like the "pirate eye" :) (missing headlight)

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

18. RR496

RR496

White looks clean and classy! A flat finish will make all the chrome pop!

19. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)I like the white, back in the day it was only popular on certain models.:D Any one know why that was ? to be continued .......

20. chevyburb

chevyburb

White is for appliances
    Yellow is for school buses
    Coupes are for chickens
    Bags are for groceries
    BLAH,BLAH,BLAH
    I think the classic lines of the Merc's are shown off better with deeper colors, my 1 cent, not worth 2.

21. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Back in the day WHITE was seldom used to spiff up a car because the cars painted WHITE looked like a big ole refrigerator .:eek::D

22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

That car of yours would look good most any color, but I totally agree with you on the flat white..
    Go for it !
    Cheers.....

23. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Here's a pic of Jerry Quesnel's merc.Go for it!Pretty traditional!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  24. If the first ever chopped 49 Merc did it......then it must be cool :). Go for it,I want to do mine.

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

slddnmatt - what brand of (light gray/white) expoxy did you use? I plan to paint my '54 Ford coupe Ford Wimbledon White. but, still have work to do and need to seal it for now.

26. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Is it painted yet ?:D:cool::eek:

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

Back the day around here locally car lots painted a lot of used cars white because they thought that they didn't show the hickies in the body as much as dark paint. And white was the cheapest paint to buy at the time.

28. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:D You are correct ,back in the day, all the used car dealers from here took the white cars to Louieville KY for the weekly auction. Hired drivers always towed other cars in a caravan. They saved one to commute the drivers back, usually a Cadillac or Olds. The used cars were dispersed all over the south.
    :) My comment was referring to car-owners who wanted drive a spiffy car would never consider painting a car white. I did paint my 59 Coupe DeVille Artic White but that was because it was white from the factory. It seemed proper at the time.

I believe you dictate the river of fate through your own actions. : Boyd Crowder

29. Flat ... No
    Flate .. Definitely No.

30. White yes. ghost flames, don't.