Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Merc, details...rear 1/4 window & shaving handles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drewfus, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Been hacking at my brothers 49 merc again, which has lead me to a few more questions…

Rear quarter windows – previous builder had just glued the glass to the seam lip surrounding the B & C pillar, and whilst we’ve removed said glass, we’re contemplating how we refit them, and more to the point, can we make it neater.

We can replace them in the same fashion (although in a slightly tidier manner), or, we have considered making a headache for ourselves and trying to emulate the stock arrangement (with pivoting glass)……I went through a heap of recent photo’s, as well as looking at a number of ‘classics’, to which I’m yet to find one that has done in the stock fashion….is there a reason other than laziness for why this would appear to be ‘the norm’?

‘shaving’ door handles – how have others done it in the past? what did you do?

Did you reverse the catch, so the striker is on door, with the latch into body, with a external door release button mounted in the sill?

Note: yes, we're familiar with using solenoids and 'popers', but we are required by law to also have a mechanical means to enter from the outside.....(other than a brick through the window;):D)
    <O:p
    Any photo’s/suggestions?

Cheers,

Drewfus</O:p

2. mikes51

mikes51

The inside garnish for a swing out window is different than a non swing out. It has a channel for the rubber moulding and also pivot points. You'll also need the stainless window frame IMHO to make the conversion worth the trouble.

Look at SLED's post on the Merc he's rebuilding in Mexico, he's got some good pics of the garnish moulding in his post.

I see quite a few chopped mercs with the swing out windows. mine shown below.
    [​IMG]

3. Thanks Mike, any more close-up shots handy? will re-look at Sleds build again....ta

Cheers,

Drewfus

4. old beet

old beet

I will put roll ups in mine, lots of room easy conversion. The swing outs take talent and time, I'm lacking in talent. Lincoln push buttons are a good easy way to go!