Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 merc blower motor??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob Dobolina, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

ok, doing a 12v swap on a 49 merc. Anyone have a clue on what 12v blower motor will work? I tried the search feature, and found all kinds of stuff, but not that little tidbit.

TIA,

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remove the motor out of the enclosure and measure all critical areas, then go online to NAPA and search for heater/blower motors. I'm sure you will find a 12V motor from their huge selection that will replace the 6V original. :)

3. You may have to punch the hub on the fan. my experience when adapting a 12V motor where a 6V used to be is that the shaft on the 6V is a lot of times smaller diameter.

Another option is to change the fields on the 6V motor to 12V fields. Usually the armature will hold up but the fields will burn out.

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

This is good application for a 6v-12v voltage reducer. Most old heater fan switches were just adjustable resistors. You can actually run the 6v fan on 12 volts, just don't run it on high for very long.