Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Merc 3 piece rear window?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomCat 1, Apr 14, 2009.

1. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

I've got a '49 Merc with the one piece back window and want to change it to a 3 piece back window. Hopefully someone can help with my question on the trim. Anyway my question is :Can I use the stainless trim that goes around the one peice glass that I have or is it different when you use the 3 piece with the upright dividers. I know I'll need the three piece rubber but I'm wondering what else I need to find. I've got the three piece glass already but it didn't come with any trim. If anyone has what I need please P.M. me. Thanks, TomCat1:cool:

2. I just sold my complete 3 piecec rear window. You'll need the metal trim retainer pieces that attach to the outside of the rubber for the dividers and also the vertical trim pieces. The outer stainless ring is the same. You could also use your 1 piece glass and just glue on some weatherstrip pieces that will retain the vertical trim. Also the windshield divider bars are very similar in size and shape and could be modified easily to use for the vertical trim pieces.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Was your car factory equipped with the one piece glass ? Does it have pushbutton or pull type door handles ? '49 or '50 dash ?

4. Here a picture with part numbers if it's any help.

[​IMG]

5. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Some late '49,s came with one piece glass ala. '50.:)

6. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

My car is deffinately a 1949 with the one piece rear glass in it now. Since I've got the set of 3 pieces of glass and my one piece outer trim it looks like I just need to find the uprights with the trim clips. If anyone has them let me know . Thanks for the help, TomCat1

7. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

whatcha doin' with your old glass?

8. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

Gonna hang on to it until the car is done, sorry. Bump still looking.

9. Squablow

Squablow

I've been told that the outer stainless is the same, and that you can use windshield center dividers to make the vertical trims for the 3 piece glass. The inside strips would be easy enough to fab up.

My '50 has a stock 3 piece rear window in it, but it's a baby Lincoln and not a Mercury.

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Look on the net for Chris Robbins in Germantown PA, he has the jailbars you seek.

11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

some of the early 49's the surround stainless is different has clips that screw through the rubber to the body and the trim snaps on to them. ive only came across a couple, most have the 50 style trim.

12. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

Still looking for 3 piece rear window trim uprights..Let me know what you've got. Thanks, TomCat1

13. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Just FYI, you can get the look without changing the glass. A friend of my installed some chrome trim on his one-piece shoebox Ford rear window. You'd never know it wasn't 3 piece window unless you sat in his back seat and looked up at it.

15. Its your lucky day! I'm working on a 49 Merc right now, and tomorrow I'm getting a donor car. It has all the glass and trim. Pm me in a day or two.

16. old beet

old beet

I also would be interested in the outside trim bars if extras are out there. Please PM me with details..........Beet

17. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

Still looking for verticle rear window Trim. Please P.M. me, TomCat 1

18. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

Still lookin for the verticle rear window trim, gotta be some out there....give me a PM, Tomcat1

19. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

20. desotot

desotot

early 49 three piece is different than late 49, late 49 shares the same outer perimeter stainless, I have both kinds of divider up rights,Lifestylz exlploded view on post#4 is the early one ,avoid that one.

21. Have you tried Bill Papke?

50Raggsled likes this.