Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 Hudson Kustom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by KustomKreeps, Apr 6, 2017.

1. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

This Thread has been checked by Super Moderators as of 04/16/2018 to comply with HAMB rules.
    So im starting a new project and have been posting else where but thought I would post here as well since im a regular viewer and buyer on HAMB. So a quick copy n paste of where im up to:
    **********************************************************************************
    Hey ya.

So recently I picked up a new project now my 52 Buick is complete - a 1949 Hudson Super.

Story goes I was browsing auctions with no intention of buying anything just cyber tire kicking so to speak.
    "Hey a cool old barn find car has surfaced 45 mins away. Want go take a look?" i ask my better half.
    With a promise that we would go get something tasty for lunch we pile in the old 52.

Walking up to it & seeing the fastback shape and roof that looks chopped straight from the factory the better half mutters "I wont say no if you want to buy it"

^^ what more can i say... talked the price down for cash & shook hands with plans to pick it up the following day.
    Next day swapped the fat wad of bills for the original registration papers, original ownership papers showing two owners (father then son), a few old photos from 1962 and a set of keys to a car that hadn't been started for 47 years.

Now I already have a Straight 8 in the Buick and not really interested in another inline. Fabulous Hudson Hornet NASCAR history or not. Saying this im not into chevy swaps. I do like Buick Nailheads... rare here in New Zealand and always catch my attention when dressed up. I look at the Husdon, scratch the ol chin and go "yus sir that would be mighty fine". Nailheads have an old school look that would suit that engine bay mighty fine.

Images from the Auction & First Look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what the old timer said was wrong with it:
    • Fuel tank out as he has had it patched n cleaned cus had a few small leaks.
    • trunk floor has a split where fuel tank mounts. guessing due to weight & old NZ roads being not the best etc
    • small patch rust on left rear skirt.
    • patch rust on right front panel.
    • front right door pillar has a split at bottom. apparently he use to chat to people leaning on the open door and thinks this might of been the issue.
    • brake Master cylinder needs put back in as it and all the drums have been redone.
    • Water pump is at a shop getting redone.
    • Rats have nested in seats.
    All easy stuff really. the splits are clean stress splits with no rust or nasty stuff to be seen.

Still trying to figure out my build. Any help or ideas are most welcome. I do know the history of Hudson and NASCAR etc but I already have a hotrod looking restored car and dont want another. im after a more custom look. I haven't been in a Hudson moving under its own power so im unsure of many things like suspension etc.

Plan so far:
    • worked 401 Nailhead. (hard to get here so may need import)
    • Worked 700R4 trans
    • rewire using American Autowire highway 22kit.
    • Wilwood disks all around.
    • Media blast.
    • Shave the handles. French the lights. and do all the normal custom shiz
    • Change up the grill.
    • Lower it.
    • new interior.
    Thinking 9 inch in the rear to handle the Nailheads torque and power. Not sure what ratio.
    Not sure for front end. I read how great the near 70 year old front end was. Maybe new hubs for disk brakes and a thicker swaybar. But then i think why not just throw in a jag IFS. comes with disks, power steering etc and is cheap here in New Zealand (cheaper than reworking the old hudsons setup)
    Driveshaft - unsure. one or 2 piece...

So ideas? Suggestions?
    This will be an expensive project for me. Being at the bottom of the world/New Zealand means expensive shipping. We have a lot of Holdens here and a fair few Euro cars.
    after a old school look & sound with if possible a more modern handling.

Thanks guys

Alex

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Forgot to add:
    Got it home & got the trunk welded up.
    Hooked up the gas tank.
    Put the brake system back together.
    Changed the oil, plugs and battery.

Suck through some gas and spat the left overs into the carb. Took a mighty sip of my favorite brew- just to wash out my mouth honest.

Turned the key. Started right up!!!
    Soon noticed the exhaust pipe ended a few feet from the headers. Hard to miss once its turned on. Not that concerned as its all coming out anyway.

Turned it off after 10 seconds or so due to no water pump but feeling confident that once i get the pump the old thing might move under its own power. Have read about the clutches can get stuck after long periods of not being used so might have to check that to i guess. Looking at the concoctions people list for Hudson clutch fluid makes me think of some demented witches brew.

Then its just get a vid of it turned on and if possible moving and stopping under its own power.
    then rip it all out and flick it off to the restoration guys

Alex.

Scarytales likes this.
  3. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

So planning of my build is still ticking away.

Although i have started ordering the easy bits like all the rubbers, seals, window channels etc

Since the old water pump is still getting fixed im flushing the clutch slowly. rotating it every day as it sits with kerosen. with luck it will free the clutch if its stuck (not sure that it is but will soon find out) have ATF to pop in when im ready.

As for the planning of the build.
    Decided i want Power steering to make the missus happy and to make life and the ride that lil more enjoyably.
    Also have decided that since i want to lower it and also want disk brakes all around that I will just buy a Fatmans Sub. Get a RH Power rack, sway bar & setup for Air bags.
    Link to Fatmans Front Sub

as for whats happening out the back.
    im thinking Moser 9inch houseing & axle package along with a ford 9inch.
    or maybe a currie setup.
    ideas, suggestions from any who have used would be great.
    also confirmation on length. 49 Hudson rear is 55inch?
    Link to Moser Houseing & Axle package
    Link to Moser center/third member
    Link to Currie Housing & Axle

Then im looking at RideTechs triangulated 4Link rear with bags.
    Link to RideTech 4Link

Has anyone used this? Being such a well known brand im taking the build quality and weight is good? will be fine for a hudson?

with these changes to front and rear popping on Wilwood will be no issue. Would like a break booster but unsure of placement/room issues with the 401 thats already taking up space with PS, Alt and god knows what.
    Unsure as yet about drive shaft. guess i will have to get everything in to figure that out.

Trans will be Monster Transmisions 700R4 conversion package. rated up to 600hp. Nailhead will only be 400ish. comes with all the extras I will need other than adapter.
    Link to Monster package

Radiator advice?

Also going to start a new thread asking people to post pictures of there interiors so i can get ideas.

So ya. advice please! Its going to be an expensive build and need as much advise as possible.

4. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Seems Fatmans build quality often dosnt make the mark for NZ certifiers. check out pages 5 & 6 here for more info. you will soon get an idea of how hard they scrutinize the workmanship to let it be legal to drive on NZ roads. The process is hard but it has our safty at heart. Made by hor rodders for hot rodders.

It aint a No you cant use Fatmans but they will test the crap out of it.

Still ordering bits. Just ordered an Eelco 2x4 nailhead intake. plan to pop a few Edelbrock 600cfb carbs ontop of it.

Also have ordered in all the window channeling, seals and rubbers i need. Those things sure do add up when you are looking at a whole car worth. Figured since i plan to take front, back and side windows out when i blast it i should do em all.

New Heater unit and few little nick nacks are on the way like cigar lighter and a ashtray fro rear left door. Seems at some point the old owners ripped out the heater and put in a British smaller one made by Smiths for MGs( googling i think it was from a MG TD TF 1500 model). Sill works fine so will be up for sale for anyone who is after an old Brit heater unit.

but ye stuck on front suspension at the moment.
    • Risk Fatmans. Huge price tag and then i may need pay even more to get it fixed.
    • Redo the Hudsons setup with disk brakes, air bags, thicker swaybar etc. no Power steering for the better half. And risk clearance issues with the center point steering and engine.
    • Jag. Throwing something thats near 40 years old under the car. ye works but may need rebuild what would add up..

need options and advice.

Looking at my suspension im thinking its going to need rebuilt if i do keep the original hudson setup. Its why im leaning towards a new weld in or bolt in setup.

On bright side im hopeing to pick up the waterpump tomorrow. And then fingers crossed i will be able drive around the block. Remember exhaust ends about 3 feet from the engine and being right hand drive dumps drivers side. no carpets. could get smoky so cant do big drive.

Alex

5. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

So got the old beast going today and went for a drive. handling is horrible but that was expected lol.

Vid showing it running.
    Smoky as its exhaust pipe is only like 3 feet long and in the middle has a big hole.
    [​IMG]

And a walk around the old Hudson. orgional colour was Blue. someone painted it mid 60s. a bit of surface rust but on the whole its in pretty good condition.
    [​IMG]

So the engine and everything under the hood will be up for sale soon once i rip it on out. Heck pretty much everything under the car will be for sale.

Any restoration guys after parts let me know i guess.

Alex

Scarytales likes this.
  6. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

havnt been on here for a bit.

Finally finished my planing stage and most of the buying stage.

I have or due to arrive by the months end:
    • Worked 401 Nailhead (413 now, ported, polished, bored etc etc) Should make about 1HP per cube.
    • Worked 700R4 Trans rated to 650HP along with cooler and install kit
    • Trans adapter
    • Elco 2x4 Intake.
    • 2x edelbrock 600 carbs and linkages.
    • Engine dress up stuff.
    • Moser custom made 9inch rear end.
    • 12' Wilwood 4 piston rear, 12.8' 6 piston front.
    • American autowire highway 22 wiring kit
    • Ridetech digital 5 gallon airpod with 8000series HQ shockwaves rear and 1000 series HQ shockwaves front.
    • Ridetech trianglated 4 link.
    So most of the stuff to really start the project is nearly here.

Still need things like radiator, battery, drivesharft, steering column, lines & hoses, ignition system, exhaust etc

but some of that i cant get until its all in the car and/or isnt hard to pickup anyway.

Couldn't use the Fatmans front clip. wont pass NZ certification regulations on many points.
    Alex

7. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Well haven't updated this for some time. Yet on that note i haven't done much to the car really until now.

Up until this point I got it going on its old motor, gave it a bit of a drive about. took a few vids for proof that it moves & stops under its own power etc for when i would sell the heart of the old beast.

And affectionately dubbed the car "Crudson" due to its ratty & oily crud smell.

Well i guess that wasn't the full extent of my endeavors to date. I have gone and spent a fair bit of wedge on the mechanical side of things. Raiding the cosmetic budget (paint n panel, interior etc) to get the car setup solidly underneath where no one will likely ever see. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Said parts have enjoyed a lovely cruise on a ship around the world from the states to New Zealand then been fumigated & inspected by NZ customs and finally released for pickup tomorrow. Will do a few pics etc of whats to go in the car and my experience with the vendors once i have the goodies here and inspected. I will say Kiwi Shipping who freight forwarded nearly a tonne of parts to me was great to deal with and would go back to them any day. The shipping part (not customs etc) was only $665NZ($470USD) what i thought was bloody good seeing it had to go half way around the world & that i normally pay half that per order from Summit etc

Happy as this certainly made me i suddenly realized i hadn't even started pulling the car to pieces to slip in my new found treasures.

There is a certain joy in the freedom of not giving a fek about the parts you rip out of a car. Often for me its "ohhh i should keep this just in case...". But seeing everything under the car etc will be replaced i haven't had those moments and i have had great fun ripping everything out. Few choice words have been spoken yet a fair many beverages consumed to date.

Making it better my Better half has been right besides me the whole time learning whats what and how a car goes together hands on. Got to love a girl who not only loves lipstick n heels but also lets me store parts in the spare bedroom.

So im rambling. Heres the progress made today with various tools of destruction.
    - started with screw drivers & sockets but soon progressed to wire cutters followed by a hammer or two then for the finale saws etc.

Shrunken Head was one of the first to go but he will be back.
    [​IMG]

Hood off and ready for destruction!
    [​IMG]

Electricals, Rad, Bumpers, Lights and other junk out ready to unbolt the anemic inline.
    [​IMG]

One thing i like about these old Hudsons is the large Engine/Trans/Drive shaft access panel. Lift the carpets and unscrew a dozen bolts on the front floor gains you easy access with no need to raise the car.
    [​IMG]

Engine unbolted and ready to go.
    [​IMG]

Tell ya engine levelers are great if you dont have one get one!
    [​IMG]

Garage Kitty El Spokecamino (so named due to his ripped up ears and he can be a mean lil b@$#ard) supervised under Kreeps our 52 Buick for most of the time.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  8. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

So did the 6 or so hour round trip with the trailer to collect my new found treasures.

Sun was shining, my bird was looking top shelf and i do believe i had a grin on my stupid face the whole way. felt like Christmas from when i was knee high to a grasshopper. Eager dosnt begin to describe the feeling.

As the three pallets got loaded up we had the pleasure of checking out a number of old cars that people are bringing in from around the world. One being this sweet 54 Buick convertible.
    [​IMG]

So loaded we head back home. constantly catching my self speeding in my eagerness to arrive home and unload. Have i mentioned the feeling of Christmas day when i was a kid yet?

Throw a few brews to the neighbor to get his tractor with forks out to help unload and im golden.

Popped of the engines crate - will note here that my cordless drill died recently and i had to undo all the screws by hand. Frustrating to say the least. LET ME IN! <insert xmas day remark>
    [​IMG]

Pictured is most of whats needed to get the car updated and running. Some things like drive shaft, rad, steering column etc i need to wait to get measurements. Other things like ignition system, 2x4 intake etc are still on there way.

But new front end by Rods by Reid, New rare from Moser, Ridetech 4-Link along with air system, Wilwood, worked 700R4 Trans and of course the worked 401 nailhead along with other bits are sitting there ready to find there new home in the Crudson.

Missing one package from Ridetech. Have images of it packed in the crate from Kiwi Shipping USA. But wasnt included on pickup in Christchurch New Zealand. Need those airbags for the rare and Kiwi Shipping are looking into it as i type.
    <Insert excited Christmas quote here>

So its time to finish ripping the car apart.

How it sits currently:
    [​IMG]

Exhaust system, driveshaft, fuel cell, engine & trans etc all out. Time to get those front panels off so we have easy access to the front chassis rails so Flockie can do his measurements and then cut em off and make up a new set.

Got a few good vids of the missus hard at work on the car. Think she would kill me (or worse deprive me) if i was to post them. Still funny stuff to look back on.

To the garage and general mayhem i go.

9. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

A client said to me "got to make Hay whilst the sun is shinning" the other day.
    Fek the hay give me a wrench and a cool bourbon i thought and promptly went home to rip into the Crudson.

With a tag team effort my better half and I removed the front panels.

Was told when we brought the car it was brought into NZ by a farmer. Im guessing he lived on a gravel road by the accumulation of dirt and stones inside the body and rails. Said dirt would rain down into the hair and down the back of the neck as you try to unseize old bolts under those big ol guards.

The amount of dried old gorse was a tad unsettling and made me wonder what the fek he actually used the car for. Visions of drunken paddock missions chasing sheep and running over fields of gorse flickered through my mind as i plucked the thorns from my hands.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The patch of rust up the front looks easy. Cut off, form up a new bit of metal and weld back in jobbie. that whole lower panel under the doors unbolts and is currently full of dirt and stones. i think by the end of emptying the car of road dirt n gravel I will have enough to build the small wall out the front like i have been wanting to do for the last few years. Should also lighten the car by a bit as well i would imagine.

The missus also did some fine devastation to the old brake lines, some wiring and god knows what was ripped out. Most amusing & I wouldn't have it any other way.

about ready i to get Flockie involved.

Will be casting my eye over the engine and trans next. painted up and put together so we can work out placement etc

more on that latter.

10. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Well it seems i have swapped clouds of dirt & dust for paint spray mist and vapors. Really need to upgrade my mask i think. Still a happy trade i must admit - was getting sick of the dirt, oil n rat shit.

Before i get ahead of myself i should do a quick splat on whats what regarding the new heart of the beast.

1965 Buick 401 or as most affectionatly know them by a "Nailhead"
    Came out of an Electra or Wildcat i think.

Sonic tested prior to any work being done.

Had huge issues finding one that was in decent shape here in New Zealand - ones i did find hadn't been turned over for 15 - 25 years or had been in parts for about the same amount of time.

Price to get one of these old things back in shape soon made me look to the states. I could get one already tested, worked and landed here in NZ for cheaper. Now i use to run an online business and brought most of my products in from the states so already had my customs client codes and was familiar with the process etc. So naturally i tracked down a good builder with a reputation to suit and went from there.

And the work done by Dual Quad Dave reads as:
    • 1965 Buick 401 core
    • Bored .060 over to 413
    • Decked .020 to compensate for modern head gaskets(original gaskets were .017 thick, new ones are .045 thick. You lose .5 point of compression if you do not cut the deck to compensate)
    • New cast pistons
    • New Hastings moly rings
    • Balanced
    • Rods resized w/ ARP rod bolts
    • Crank turned .010/.010 and polished
    • Oil galley plugs converted to screw in(factory are press-in)
    • New Melling oil pump
    • New Melling cam/lifters
    • New Melling valve springs
    • Heads rebuilt w/ new valves, new iron guides, cut for Teflon oil seals(factory had no oil seals), milled .010 to ensure excellent seal
    • New freeze plugs
    • Updated to modern silicon front/rear oil seals
    • Good used timing cover
    • New timing chain
    • New water pump
    • Included pulleys& alt/ps brackets.
    • Included stock exhaust manifolds
    • Stock Power steering pump.
    • New Powermaster 1wire alt.
    • Stage 1 porting.
    • Polished chambers.
    • cleaned up castings.
    • Adjustable pushrods.
    • Stock 4brl Intake
    • Media blast & prime.
    think thats about it. no doubt i missed stuff. I will blame the multi coloured paint boggers clogging up my brain. Dave who built up the donk was great. Gave lots of performance options and stages. Answered all my questions well and gave options. Gave free shipping to the docks. Inspected everything - found a small crack on one manifold after sandblasting so popped on another but didnt have time to blast that. Sent another box of stuff separate to NZ.

Now i know what you are thinking... Cam.

Its on the list to down the track. The nailheads came out with for the day a rather aggressive cam - today i guess it would be classed as mild but still decent. First i want to drive it and hear it. if i want a more lumpy cam then no problems. if im happy with it but would like a different tone to the sound then i will fiddle with the exhaust.

Also another large factor was the porting. Nailheads main issue is breathing. Heck its why they are called nailheads as the valves are like nailheads. I could pick a cam up easy enough but to get porting done by someone who is experienced on the old motor here in NZ would be harder. So put my cash towards porting. Should help it breath a lil better.

Power wont be an issue no matter what cam i use. The old Nailheads are known for torque. heck Buick use to lable the engines by the torque rateing not HP and they listed some impressive numbers from the factory floor.

Currently its sitting about 360-370HP and 475-485lbs add another 20HP with the Eelco 2x4 intake when it arrives then another 20-30hp from headers i should be up around 400HP or 1HP per cube. Obviously a cam will push these higher if I feel I need more power.

Some pics of the engine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the old Nailheads are semi hemi.

and loaded up in the states:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yesterday we masked it up, took off the intake and exhaust manifolds etc.

gave it a bit of a sand and another prime then sprayed it Gloss Black.

Still unsure what color we will paint the car whats been a big issue. Originally satin black with pinstriping, then dark red or purple, then white with tinted windows. Already have a matte Black car. White looks good next to it but still unsure. Ideas?

Anyway we figured black goes with anything and would look good with the finned accessories etc.

Engine will be out again once we have done the mock ups. when we strip it down and do the panel n paint. So if needs be can repaint it again then.

Will get some pics of the engine latter in its current black state.

Im off to chase up my new intake then watch some custom car shows online.

post ideas for paint!

ohh and post some good hotrod, custom etc car shows.

like Fast n Loud, Counting Cars, RoadKill, Full Custom TV etc

11. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Works been flat out this week so haven't had time to get in the garage much.

Engine is sitting waiting for me to pull my finger out and hook the trans up to it.
    [​IMG]
    And talking of the Trans. Its a 700R4 from Monster Transmissions worked up to handle 650HP & 600ft/lbs torque. Medium firm shift kit. Wasnt happy with the service from Monster trans. Order took 6 weeks to build, test and ship. During that time they didnt answer a single email and only a few Facecrack messages.
    Still it was very well packaged on the crate and looks to be of decent build quality. Time will tell though how it shifts and handles.
    They have discounts every day from 5-20% off with free shipping USA wide along with cash discounts. I was able stack like 3 discounts to get it at a reduced price by just checking back every day for a few weeks.
    Package Link: 700R4 SuperStreet master conversion package.
    Comes with pretty much everything needed to install other than fluids, cross member and driveshaft.
    Kit contains:
    • 700R4 SS Mega Monster Transmission, rated up to 650hp/600tq
    What's Inside The Transmission:
    • 5 PINION FRONT & REAR PLANETARYS
    • PRECISION MASTER OVERHAUL KIT
    • SUPERIOR HIGH PERFORMANCE REPROGRAMMING SHIFT KIT
    • SUPER PUMP
    • DIRECT/REVERSE INPUT DRUM
    • TURBINE INPUT CLUTCH HOUSING
    • MODIFIED SUNSHELL DRIVE GEAR TO INCREASE REAR PLANETARY LUBRICATION
    • MODIFIED INPUT SUN GEAR TO INCREASE FORWARD PLANETARY LUBRICATION
    • UPDATED/MODIFIED ACCUMULATORS
    • RAYBESTOS PRO SERIES KEVLAR BAND
    • UPDATED & MODIFIED GOVERNOR w/SPRING KIT & NYLON GEAR
    • RECALIBRATED VALVEBODY w/UPDATE TV VALVE ASSEMBLY
    • RECALIBRATED VALVE PLATE FOR SHIFT FIRMNESS
    • NEW HIGH FLOW FILTER
    • NEW LOW/REVERSE HEAVY DUTY SPRAG
    • NEW 29 ELEMENT HEAVY DUTY FORWARD INPUT SPRAG
    • NEW HIGH PERFORMANCE ALUMINUM SERVO
    What's Included With Conversion Package:
    • Performance Torque Converter, your choice from 1650-2500 Stall
    • Universal Fillertube with updated Locking Dipstick
    • Updated Universal Fit Throttle Cable with metric bolt
    • Metric Linkage Nut
    • 2 Brass Coolant Line Fittings
    • Metric Torque Converter Bolts
    • Universal Transmission Mount with bolts
    • Speedometer Drive & Driven Gears
    • Speedometer Housing & Support Bracket
    • Speedometer Housing O-Ring
    • External Lock-Up Kit
    • 700R4 Chrome Throttle Cable Bracket
    • Hayden Transmission Cooler Kit
    • 700R4 Universal Dust Cover
    • 700R4 Stock Depth Chrome Pan
    Unboxed:
    [​IMG]
    Painted up to match the engine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Using a trans adapter to mate the old Nailhead bolt pattern to the 700R4. Seems well made but the manufacturer ( Bendtsens ) is a jerk. Total ass hat and i wouldn't ever go back to him.
    [​IMG]
    Once i get down to the shops to get some locktight i will get it all together.
    God i hate those annoying hold ups. already to go but cant find my locktight after ages of searching. frustrating to say the least.

On a different note the Hudson is away at Flockies kustom chassis hotrod shop.
    Moving the car about is a breeze with the tractor. /Jealous.
    [​IMG]

His boy is following close in dads footsteps it seems. Even though he is young he is out there helping wrenching along side his dad learning the skills. Till he gets to an age to use the welder seriously he is stuck with cardboard and making some serious customs and hotrod models from scratch. Kid has some great ideas and sure likes to chat about them to any who will listen.

Exciting times i tells ya. just wish i had more time to tinker.

Alex

12. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

As often is the way~ life and work are getting in the way of what i really want to be doing: saving this heap of steel from restoration.

Time of the year i guess with Christmas fast approaching and clients suddenly deciding its the end of the world if XYZ isn't done like yesterday.
    i just stand there baffled as there mouth is moving wondering to myself "yes all very good and nice but come on surely they must agree the old car is more important... LEADSLED GOD DAMN IT!!!!"
    Its really starting to get out of control. I take it for granted its completely normal and sane if not even healthy for a guy to dream of cars n shift like that. But my dearest the other morning commented she is dreaming of cars. Cool i think to my self but whats that say about us o.0 - should note here we do live in a Bogan town so this may be common with in the local female populace..(you yanks think redneck i guess just dont youtube Bogan please)

Anyways with said working life getting in the way i haven't done sweet jack all.
    Popped on the Trans adapter, ordered a few small parts i needed is about all.

Dropped more stuff off to Flockies Chassis Shop. Some of the projects the maestro is tinkering away on:
    [​IMG]

Not much room at the moment but with luck he will have some of the projects cleared soon and the Hudson chassis etc on its way.

13. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

well i will start off with the fact that i took a week or so away from the project. Didn't want to walk in the garage or acknowledge the existence of the motor or trans.

Using the ol if i dont see it then it never happened reasoning.

All this was brought about by the rather unpleasant sound of cast aluminium cracking. Now if you have never had that distinct displeasure of hearing this then im jelouse.

So the story goes i was having a great ol time. tunes blaring, woodstocks sunk and it seemed like the best time to mate up the trans to the engine.

Pop some fluid in the torque converter & slip it on hearing the clunks as it fitted on snugly.

Place the newly worked trans on a trolly jack and position it.

Easy i think and start tightening it up. CRACK!!!

I freeze as heart skips a beat.

Trans bellhousing around one of the bolt holes has a crack.

I didnt swear or curse. just stared at it in shock. laid down my tools. Stood up. collected my tools and put them away then exited the garage to find a beverage. My dearest who was helping balance and hold stuff had the sense to not say a word as i went about these duties in silence.

So guessing the dowls didn't line up as well as i thought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the end of the world. Can be TIGed back up. Just frustrating, annoying and plain old Grrrrr......

This was done a few weeks ago. I have taken a lesson from our cat. that being ignoring it. So its still in the same place i left it - that being middle of garage and even though i walk around it i have chosen not to look at it. This method seems to work well for the cat. "I ignore your existence and you reward me with temptations"

So I have moved on from that debacle to the ignition system.

I dont like the HEI nailhead distributors. Big and ugly. dont look old school for my tastes.

I had two old GM Delco distributors. Media blasted, reconditioned to make one good & smooth operating with no end play. New cap and rotor along with a paint job and its looking better than new. Will use the other as an oil primer once i get to the fluids phase.

Ripped out the old points and condenser and have put in a Pertronix Ignitor II electronic ignition unit. So should never need to worry about that side of things again. Although i have kept the old parts to keep in the cars tool box just encase the new electronic ignition ever plays up. The conversion is all done inside the distributor so i can always swap back with no issues.

Also got the Pertronix Flame Thrower II coil. Its like 45k Volts so way more than i need i guess but i decided to get the coil made to work with the new electronic ignition. Black of course ( i really cant help my self) yet the thing is going to be covered by the finned metal coil cover anyways.

[​IMG]

For leads i went with Taylors ThunderVolt 8.2MM custom wire kit. things run at 40ohms so will carry the spark to problems. Nice and black so wont be an eyesore under the hood. The lengths of wire are ubber long whats good i guess. I sure did have alot of left over wire after cutting to length & crimping all the terminals up. Only down side with the kit is that it dosnt come with a crimper. But have a MSD one so that wasnt a biggie. The wires will be out of sight mostly due to the finned spark plug covers. Also the old Nailheads have the dissy at the back behind the intake so the duel carbs and airfilter will hide it all whats great. tested my leads and ALL had 39ohms or lower resistance. think the lowest was near 37ohms.

[​IMG]

Alot of people seemed to recommend the old AC Delco R45S sparkplugs to work for Nailheads. So i went for those. The R45S are a tad longer than the normal ones.

[​IMG]

And thats basically it for the ignition side at the moment.

As for the car it self. I need to get in contact with Flockie to talk over the plan of attack i guess. With luck he has had a good ol poke about underneath and came up with a few ideas.

Im chaffing at the bitt to finally get things going. Patience has never been one of my strong points - a trait i believe i picked up from my father then compounded by working in ICT where everything progresses fast if not instantaneous.

Constantly telling my self slow down (or i may break something like a transmission...)

14. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

My dual quad intake arrived just before Christmas & i only recently have had time to look at it and the engines induction.

So the intake was one of the first things i ordered way back in August. I was told it would take 4 - 6 weeks to ship. four months latter and many many emails it finally arrived.

Prior to buying the crudson i was toying with the idea of Nailheads and had seen the brand Eelco as being the best intake for the old engines, better HP gains etc than the even the Edelbrock manifolds or six carb setups. Not to mention they just look bleeping cool. So off i went and brought one. Wasn't until months latter and no intake along with a HUGE list of excuses i did a bit more research and found out the manufacture had an extremely poor reputation. mostly for taking the cash and never delivering the goods. a few threats of contacting paypal got the fire under him and the "motorbike accident", "surgery" and god knows what else all suddenly cleared up and goods sent.

The intake is all i wanted and more. Extremely happy with it. Its so light weight when compared to the factory single 4brl one i had.

Nailheads love alot of carb. So two Edelbrock Performer 1405 carbs delivering 600cfb each will sit on top of the new aluminum intake. Got these from Summit when they had a sale coupled in with an instant manufacturer rebate meant i was able to get the two carbs at about the same price i could pickup a single carb for here in New Zealand.

Obrein truckers sorted me for the washable airfilters along with the old school finned cover. Got to say Dennis Obrein was great to deal with. Extremely helpful and answered all my emails fast and fully. gave options and suggestions. top man in my books and I would happily shop there again.

Quick pic of the induction components before I got busy on them all.
    [​IMG]

So first thing was cleaning up the intake then painting it. Me being me i got a lil eagger and even though i knew it was not the best weather/temp to spray i still went ahead and sprayed. I know i know. Middle of the night when its cold and raining out should be a no brainier for not laying down paint. Still I blasted down my primmer coats and was happy enough with it i went ahead and splashed a few coats of black on it.

Went off to see my old man for a few days the follwing morning but had a quick look at the intake before leaving and was relived to see it looked fine. I decided it was for the best that i was away for a few days to really let the paint cure otherwise i would of done something stupid no doubt. I also had planed to pick up the needed intake gaskets when i was in the city. No luck. All the car shops had never had one in and some had never even heard of a Buick 401/nailhead. Sigh... looks like i will be ordering them in. yet another holdup.

Got back and popped the carbs, progressive linkage & fuel line on. Need to get some Vac block offs to cover a few unused ports. also the main PCV port on the primary carb(rear carb) is so close to the secondary/front carb i doubt i will be able to use the port & im thinking I will have to block it off as well. The Edelbrock carbs have a vac port at the back of the carbs meant for power brakes & im thinking I may be able to use this. Would suit me best as the PCV is located at the rear of the valley pan between the intake and distributor so this would mean the shortest rout if i use this vac port. Anyone here used the rear vac port on an Edlebrock for PCV?

[​IMG][​IMG]

And of course i couldn't help my self and popped the setup on the engine to get an idea how it would look & to check clearances etc. Its all a bit grubby but thats to be expected. im pretty stocked how it all looks. cant wait to turn this thing on \,,/(-.-)\,,/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And even though its not related to the the Hudson here's a pic from yesterdays backroad explorations in the Buick. Took us through gorges & passes to some decent secluded river swimming spots then all the way to the ocean and sandy beaches. Nothing like a sunny day cruising with ya missus in the middle of the bench seat. Tunes blasting and a retro cooler of goodies. Pull up for an ice cream or to get fresh fruit from an orchard and watch from the shade of a coolabar tree as people congregate around the car taking selfies & pics. Also stumbled upon a Fair - same old crap really with little of interest.

[​IMG]
    Happy New years guys
    Alex

Scarytales, wicarnut, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Ahh what a weekend. Honest last week sucked with one day being a family funeral then the other days working till 8:30 each night as I worked to a time frame that is still closing on me in a most desperately horrid fashion.

Yesterday (Saturday for those future cyber readers out there) in a semi hangover state it was deemed a most suitable idea to jump in the ol 52 Buick and cruise along two and a half hours of highways around lakes, gorges and wide open roads to a small central Otago NZ town called Cromwell. Calls of fame being some giant fruit statue thing, a hydro power lake, vine yards and for the last few years a car show attracting a wide following of people from around the South Island NZ.
    A good chilled turn out of 600-700 cars i guess. Some pretty cool cars. But the inspiration i was looking for wasnt present to tell the truth. I was after interior ideas. Paint ideas. tail light ideas. and well... ideas in general.

This fine day was followed by more liquid refreshments & fish n chips -a kiwi classic and mighty fine cuisine in moderation when coupled with a Mexican blanket, a good woman and pumping tunes in summer.
    [​IMG]
    Saturday done and pass resulted in a overcast rainy Sunday. Fine day for garage mayhem really. And that is what happened. With a general check over the 52. not much to report. rock steady. Following this beverages where served and car chats between the better half and my self progressed. Good times chatting over cars we saw yesterday, looking at photos and being those critical bastards as we picked at bits n bobs from each car.

Flockie from Flockies Kustom Chassis & Rods flicked me a most welcome text saying basically to check facecrack. Faster than a speeding ticket I was online. will note as fast as i was "she" was going "FUCK ME! HE CHOPPED IT!" before i could figure out whats what on my phone. beating me to the line by a good 30 sec. ( i work IT and got thrashed)

Measurements taken. Flockie in the background getting ready.
    [​IMG]

Available realestate is promising upfront. Checkout that sweet ride in the background.
    [​IMG]

Diff out. Looking pretty good under there for the age of the beast.
    [​IMG]

Ass end is dropped on out. But man that crap up front just aint doing it for me. Wonder how that can be fixed.... ? Something that makes sparks maybe?

ps dont mind the slide in the background. a reason to all madness. last i was at the shop he was fixing an early 50's F100 hood that had been used as a sled for the kids behind a truck in the fields by the last owner.
    [​IMG]

Touching wheel arches. Damn those big old guards can swallow up 28 inches of tire. I see this and just grin. Of course bumpstops and bla bla bla will add a few inches but still. BRUTAL! Side pipes will be on there as well to make it that lil bit lower...
    [​IMG]

Im thinking a C Notch is in order my friends. Check out below pic and tell me what you think. God im almost tempted to say tubb that fucker and get some serious fats on the back. Unfortunately i doubt this will happen though. those guards are a pain to get fat tires off but we will see what can be done.
    [​IMG]

Gud damn son! Low enough?
    [​IMG]
    Front off, ass dropped and sitting pretty.
    This is the pic that got the missus screaming "he chopped it!" over and over with squeals of glee & frantic social media postings. This generally only happens normally for lipstick releases from her fav brands, cats, new episodes of Vikings and leadsleds in general. So a big TICK in the only female perspective i care about.

I plan to use this photo to combat the "maybe i should curve your spending on the car line" should it rise its ugly head.

Top job Flockie. Thanks Ash for the pic's. He has a Truck he was air bagging today at the same time Flockie was taking care of business.

o.o i have a new desktop wall paper.

16. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Rolled into Flockies Kustoms today after work to have a yarn about the important things in life... cars.

Focusing on the rearend at the moment. To gain the air out/low height and drive height we are after means getting the diff up higher.
    This will mean more fab work than initially expected but really it aint no great surprise to tell the truth.
    C-Notching the chassis rails about 4inch and then raising part of the floor in the boot (trunk for you yanks) to get more clearance for the diff housing. Also may need to alter the floor slightly under the rear seat for the two piece driveshaft.

We are looking at a ride height of a minimum 100mm (4inch) maybe an inch or so higher if needs be. Then of course we can go up or down from the bags when the mood suits.

As you can see in the below image there is sweet fek all clearance and the ride height is still to high.
    [​IMG]

A slightly better image maybe.
    [​IMG]
    So those rails are looking at getting about 4 or 5 inch C-notch. So up inside the trunk a bit.
    On a side note the wall thickness of the Ridetech 4Link that will be bolting up in here is much better than expected.
    Just above the center diff housing is a small raised section of the trunks floor. This will need to be raise up a bit further to get clearance for the housing. Still should be enough clearance on the ledge for the airtank etc. So no great loss really.
    Looking at running the exhaust under the diff.
    In the above pics you can kinda see just in front of the diff (opposite side than we see) that the seats floor pan is looking like it might just slightly be in the way for the drive shaft. May need a little massaging.

Another issue maybe changing the tire. Will give that better thought once we know where everything will sit better. The diff is slightly narrower than stock to help with this. Also pumping up the bags will help a bit. Doubt some unbolting of the diff scenario will work due the exhaust going under the diff.
    All i can say is im happy that my insurance comes with free AA roadside assistance nation wide. AA stands for Automobile Association in New Zealand NOT Alcoholics Anonymous. Would be rather amusing to dial for a 12 steep program to change a flatty stuck in a wheel well.

Now this is all nutted out its time to get the certifier involved just to make sure he is happy with it all. No point cutting then to find out it wont meet cert. Hope he gets out there this week but i doubt it unfortunately. Im bleeping eager to get Flockie welding shit up.

17. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Got asked if i have any pics of the car from when it was in storage.
    The better half did a quick search pulled these off the interwebs.
    Since it was off the road since 1969 im guessing it also had other older accommodation at some point.
    Three owner car so i guess the person who took these was the second owner who had it for a handful of months & we purchased from.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a few old photos we got given of the car & scanned from before it was painted mid 60s. Dated on the back 1962.
    [​IMG]

18. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

When Flockie called saying come over and rip out the seats n stuff cus the car will be going on the rotisserie an image of the crudson slowly rotating in a giant BBQ flicked through my head.
    What can i say i love BBQ and for the last years I have done rotisserie turkey with good results at xmas. A bit of Apple & orange glaze with a touch of manuka smoke and yeah good times.

Of course this isnt what he had meant but i still find it a rather humorous image.

Saturday the better half and i rolled up with rubbish sacks & got to work. Front seat was already unbolted so removing the seats was simple. Rats really had had a field day in the seats. stuffing, crap & walnut shells littered every inch of the interior.
    Keep im mind we already had filled a sack or so of this junk when we did the first clean out. Another half sack was soon recovered with an easy other half sack still lodged in the seats springs. That can be attacked by the vacuum at a latter date.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Door sills also got removed. Will give them a clean up to see how they look. If i can track down some repo ones i may get them depending on price.

[​IMG]
    Bumper was stripped off. Original thought was to turn the three piece bumper into a one piece. Wield it together. cover up a few old bolt holes and get it rechromed. Maybe move the bumper guards more into the middle to frame the number plate. Re chroming is bleeping expensive and i can pick up a new triple plated bumper from the states way way cheaper. But if i was to do this then i would be staying three piece. Looking at the bumper Im thinking if it was deeper ie the measurement from top to bottom of bumper was larger it would look better as it would look lower. Ideas and suggestions? Anyone know if other Hudson steepdown models had a deeper bumper that would fit?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rockers - the body panel that runs along the side of the car below the doors also removed.
    The right hand side panel had a large rust hole. Was worried it may of also effected the chassis rails behind. Was relived to find this wasn't the case. Both sides of the car showed to be rust free, dry and straight. Although looking inside the boxed frame there is a good 2inch or so of dirt that has accumulated inside the chassis rails. I aint kidding the rails are half full of dirt. Flockie just patted me on the back saying i was going to get very dirty and wet once the car was flipped on its side and waterblasted.

Loaded the seats and other parts we ripped out into the station wagon. Windows down and the car smelled a tad Ripe to put it mildly. Ratty piss n shit seats sure do have an aroma I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Car will be put on the rotisserie this week at some point.

19. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

On a cold Wednesday a txt msg came across saying the rotisserie has showed up.
    What better day to flip the old tank on its side and waterblast the underside.

Assembly didn't take long. Straight forward process of slotting it all together really and checking the pins.
    A quick bit of fab work and some welding and it was all connected to the car whilst still sitting on supports.
    Sledge hammer was brought into play to whack out the supports.
    And the car floated there like some crudy jetsons hovercar. ^^

Releasing the pins it sat level. A good sign. Was a bit worried it might not of been centered and would flip to one side.
    We slowly rotated it and clearances worked just fine. Flockie nailed it. Rotated nice and smooth with little effort required.
    Now if any of you have even tried trussing up a bird or something on a BBQ rotisserie you might appreciate how well we did getting a huge old car so well balanced. I know for one i have popped a chicken or something on to find it is off kilter slightly as it turns. Resulting in all kinds of grief from worn out motor to drive it to one side hitting the pan as it rotates.

And behold the HoverHudson!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see in the above image - its a tad dirty under the car. Dry as a bone and no rot to be seen. Everything is nice and straight just dirty.

The rotisserie is on wheels so moving it about is a breeze.
    With the forks of the tractor it was brought outside for another water blast.
    [​IMG]

The amount of gravel, rat turds, dust and crud that came off the bottom of the old beast was amazing. Think some of the rails had been solid silt and dirt. Some gravel is still trapped in the rails.

And as much as i would like to blame the light rain that had started i must confess that the reason i got so saturated was my glee i was having as i blasted the shit out of the old car.

Day latter it had dried up a bit.
    [​IMG]

Will be back out on Sunday to scrape more crud off it.

20. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Got home from being away scraping off under sealer from the Hudson to have my old man and his mate roll up with 74 Valiant to park up for the week at my place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the 1970 Buick GSX im after but has potential i guess. Two to many doors and a lot of other work needed.

Anyway. Anyone have any tips for removing undersealer? Gave a scraper and some power tools a go but the darn stuff is rock solid. After sitting so long all dry in a shed its turned to rock and stuck on. Not flaking off in sheets like we hoped.
    Other than media blasting?
    I hear petrol works then scraper. Any tried this?

Missus cleaned up the old seats. Vacuumed out most of the old rat turds, walnuts, nests and filler from the underside of the seats.
    Now need to find a decent upholsterer. Any recommendations? Im located in Waimate so mid South island.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Considering they are near 70 years old they & had been used by rats as a house they are in pretty good shape really. Still stink though. Springs all seem fine along with the frames. So good bones for what ever we add on them.

Originally we thought get a Kanter kit and give it a go but then we would face issues with fabrics not matching the doors and other parts of interior.

chriseakin and wicarnut like this.
  21. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Now that some of the old crap is off the rear its time to start the cutting and welding madness! God damn but i am excited!

So as you can gather from the above posts the springs etc have all been ripped on out.
    I chose a RideTech Triangulated 4Link to take its place.
    Must say im happy with the product. 5.6mm(0.219inch) wall thickness tubing and 4.8mm(0.188inch) laser CNC brackets - included is brackets for the shockwaves. It just feels sturdy and built right. Ridetech sales reps are great to deal with and more than happy to go over everything making sure the right product was ordered for the car, weight, ride height and driving style.
    [​IMG]

I chose triangulated for a few reasons. One being no panhard being needed to free up room with luck for the exhaust as not much room under the Hudson for two pipes. Another was i could get tighter wheel to fender clearances due to less or no side to side play compared to a parallel 4link. They should give a much better ride quality than springs whilst being able to cope with rising and lowing the car better as well with bags.

Anyway a refresher of how it was once the big stuff at back was stripped off:
    [​IMG]
    Below you can see the old brace and spring mounts. Flockie dealt to these.
    [​IMG]
    And then fabricated a Hudson bracket kit & pipe support to replace original chassis brace for each side. Good thick 5mm plating.
    [​IMG]
    Welded the four brackets to the car along with the ride tech one. Everything is rust killed and sealed up under the plates.
    [​IMG]
    With bottom bar attached.
    [​IMG]
    Bottom bar & mount.
    [​IMG]
    Right hand side bottom bar done.
    [​IMG]
    Left hand side bottom bar.
    [​IMG]
    And done!
    Bottom two bars attached to car via with some nice brackets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next is notching the chassis to allow diff, rising the unscraped section of trunk floor a bit and attaching the top triangulated bars.
    Flockie just sees the gear and the car, visualizes so quickly how it will go together, quick glance at the NZ certification rule book to make sure its good then attacks it.

22. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Been one of those months that I have seemed to be playing catchup the whole time. Works flatout crazy but seems to be finally settling down as the Easter break approaches.
    The few breaks from work flashed by. One was a pretty cool car show we took the Buick to "Timaru Caroline Bay Rock n Hop" and the other was a mission to the docks to collect the 50 buick grille and other parts that landed from the states.

Flockie has been busy as well but lately has been able to get back into the project.
    C-Notching the rear so we can get down nice and low.

A few pics of the progress so far:
    Note the forum seems to be resizing the images weird. Making them squished in so if you want a better look click the images to see it in the correct proportions.

Initial cuts to the frame and boot floor.
    [​IMG]

Check out the gravel that fell out of the rails that piled up in the inner bottom wheel tub And thats after a bit of a cleanup..
    [​IMG]

Moser Diff with Wilwood break mockup to check clearances & how much of a notch is needed.
    [​IMG]

Few more cuts made for the top links to fit etc. More cuts are needed to get the diff to sit where we need it air out/lowered.
    [​IMG]

Flockie got his plasma cutter out and made up the plates needed for the C-Notch then tacked in place. As you can tell from this pic to the above a lot was cut out to accommodate the new rails. The angles are bent to keep the original bump stops that we will be reusing.
    [​IMG]

Process of welding it all together started along with the internal braces.
    [​IMG]

First side done!
    [​IMG]

And both sides done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again the forum is messing with images squishing them. so click em to see the images in correct proportions.

Im pretty happy with how its turned out.
    Next will be the other ridetech triangulated four link bars.

Only issue and it isn't a biggie is the place i had planed to put the airtank & compressors etc was the floor that the c-notch has now invaded. Tank may still fit in the space not sure yet but im thinking it will need to be moved or parcel tray massaged what could be more of a pain than its worth.

23. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

And thats where we are up to at the moment.
    Ideas, suggestions, comments and even criticism is most welcome.

thanks
    Alex

patrick66 likes this.
  24. hudson48

hudson48

Changing rear wheels if you have flat could be problem with those stock wheel openings. We used a skirt and with a threaded piece and wing nuts front and rear and then a central shaft on with a wing nut that secures it in the middle. If I take them off in the near future I will photograph and show you. Takes less than 5 minutes to remove.

triman62 likes this.
  25. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Any pics would be great.
    The diff is narrower than stock and i had considered larger rims back there to also help taking the wheel off.
    But it is still going to be an issue and something we are still thinking about.

My insurance company supplies free nation wide road assist that covers such things as changing tires. so i figure if it is going to be such an issue i just call those guys.
    Tell the truth I have never had a flatty after 25years or so of driving but know I more than likely will get one. Murphys law and all.

Fire up any pics man would be a great help.

Alex

26. 39custom

39custom

Form a former Mosgiel-ite I say that's going to be one sweet Kustom!

27. Either you work at warp speed or you have been working on this for a while and just finally posted pictures. I didn't get this much work done on my first Hudson in 10 years and then I sold it to buy my current '51 Super. Awesome job man! You ain't messing around. So what is the timeline on all this that you have accomplished so far? I am extremely impressed.

triman62 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. triman62

triman62

Alex, car is coming together nicely, I will be following along on your build, once again that is some top notch work.

29. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Got the car August last year i guess.
    Spent the rest of the year planning it out & cleaning it out.
    Got it up on the rotisserie at the start of march so a month ago.

30. hudson48

hudson48

That Buick nailhead looks nice. Are they as expensive to rebuild in NZ as here in Australia. I have a 1963 401
    that I thought of doing up for another project but after costing all the new parts to come from USA plus duty and GST, as well as the Aussie $ being in the tank, then machining and assembly costs etc etc I came up with at least $8000 to rebuild. And that would be with a single 4 barrel. What did you spend on rebuild?