Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 ford flathead rear oil seal retainer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolmilitary, Sep 29, 2010.

1. coolmilitary

coolmilitary
    from So Cal

Does anybody have a source for a 1949 flathead rear oil seal retainer? The cast metal piece that fits into the block and holds the rope seal in place.
    I can't seem to locate one, and mine has gone missing.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

EdiRoy.

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Years ago mine was the victim of the Redi Strip tank. I found the replacement at Job Lot in NYC. However, I've been told that Ford Tractors (8N or Golden Jubilee) used the same part. There are probably some shops that still deal in them since those tractors never get scrapped.

3. farcus1

farcus1

Best I can figure the same seal channel was used in all the ford V8 and 4 bangers from 32 to 53. I have several and the ones from my 32 B engine are the same as the one from my 8BA.

4. flatjack

flatjack

32 to 53 were NOT all the same.

5. Vergil

Vergil

Send me a pm with an address and I will send you one.

Vergil

6. coolmilitary

coolmilitary
    from So Cal

Hi Virgil,
    Wow, that is so cool of you. I pm'd you with my address. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Take care.

EdiRoy.

7. Vergil

Vergil

EdiRoy, will take it to the post office tomorrow. (okay went to the post office and is now mailed) good luck on the build.

Vergil

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  8. coolmilitary

coolmilitary
    from So Cal

Your word is as good as gold. Got the retainer, and it fits perfect.
    Thank you!

EdiRoy

9. Vergil

Vergil

Glad you could use it EdiRoy, it wasn't doing anyone any good just laying there and a big thank for the great tee shirt you sent me (I think I got the better deal)

Veregil

10. You guys really have me stumped, I'm just putting in a rear seal and can't figure out what the rear seal retainer looks like that you talk about !! :confused: Now I'm afraid I don't have one.
    Do you by any chance have a pic of one ??

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

12. Thanks, no I don't have that retainer. :confused: Is it used on all blks/pans ?
    I have a 49-53,( not sure exactly what yr because of ser # on blk), and a pan with the 6 inch clean-out in the bottom. I was told this is a truck pan ? The two rear seals do not line up with each other. The pan holds the blk seal from rotating out, but I'm not sure what holds the seal in the pan from spinng out. The 2 halfs are off-set the width of the seal. Wish I could draw you a pic. If all this isn't clear maybe I should try to take a couple pics and post them.