Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 Ford tudor sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by parabola, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

Just started this project. Found a 49 Ford custom in the middle of nowhere Oregon. 20181004_111258.jpeg 20181004_121152.jpeg 20181004_121229.jpeg 20181006_160900.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J727P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

3. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

4. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

5. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

6. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

Just used polishing compound to protect the paint. Needs another three or four hours of work.

7. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

Need advice on if it's possible to swap in a 302 and keep the 3 on the tree with overdrive

8. Possible, but rounding up the parts will be the hard part. And there's various things to look for...

Ford used two transmission bolt patterns for their manual trans cars starting in '49; the '49-64, and the '65-up. On the SBF, Ford changed the block/bellhousing in '65 at the same time they changed the trans pattern, so there's no direct interchange between early and late pattern bells in most cases. But there were some dual-trans-pattern bells built for the '65-up SBF (cast iron for trucks I believe) that will solve the problem if you can find one (you'll also need the larger correct flywheel). A late single-pattern cast iron bell can usually be redrilled to the early pattern also. The aluminum bells don't have enough meat in them to do this. There is another alternative; Lakewood still builds a '65-up SBF scattersheild with both the early and late trans pattern that will accept your early trans as a bolt-together deal.

But you're not out of the woods yet. In addition to changing the trans pattern, Ford also changed the size of the front trans bearing retainer. The retainer is what indexes the trans to the bell/crank centerline, so this is critical to correct fit. Failure to address this can lead to pilot/input bearing failures and clutch issues. The early retainer is 4 11/16" in diameter, the late unit is 4 7/8". Depending on what trans you have, you may or may not be able to find a correct-size retainer. The Lakewood bell used to come with an 'adaptor' ring for the early trans to make up the difference, I don't know if it still does. Worst case, you could have one machined.

A couple of other details. The early trans has a shorter pilot shaft on the input, so you won't get full engagement into the pilot bushing. This will egg-shape the bushing, the fix is a steel bearing like a NTN 6003 LLBC3/5K or equivalent (I believe Summit/Jegs sells these). And starting around '83 or so, Ford deleted the clutch equalizer boss off the SBF block, but the aftermarket offers a bolt-on bracket to replace the missing boss. This may or may not matter with the '49 clutch linkage.

And Ford did offer the OD trans as late as '69, so it may be possible to find a '65-up version that bolts to the late bell but these were rarely seen after about '63.

One last alternative. If you can find a good '63-64 289 block (AKA 'five bolt'), this block uses the early matching bell and will be a bolt-together deal; all you'll need is the steel pilot bearing. You can install late 302 guts into these blocks. But these are rare and expensive these days; a also-rare but less desirable (and cheaper) '63-65 260 will also work, but can't be bored to the 289/302 size.

The ODs are a bit fragile, so don't beat on it, but are a fabulous 'cruisin' trans and will deliver excellent fuel economy. If you convert to 12V, you'll want to replace the 6V OD solenoid and kickdown relay with 12V versions also. Well worth the effort to keep IMO...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  9. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

Amazing information. Not sure what I am going to do. Hope to keep the stock straight six. Gas tank was full of about 5 gallons of what smelled like turpentine, and all sorts of crud. Blew out the fuel line no problem, but the glass bowl on the fuel pump was full of the same stuff in the gas tank.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

congrats - looks like a good start

11. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I put a 64 289 (needed the 5bolt bellhousing) and kept the original 3spd with OD. Had to modify the firewall a bit for valve cover clearance and shorten the shifter arms on the column. I have a brief thread with a few pics. I will find it and post the link.

12. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

13. the-rodster

the-rodster

That looks like a very solid shoebox, congrats!

BTW, it's a sedan, not a coupe :)

Rich

14. Surprised that no one pointed that fact out before post #13. Good looking car and metal appears to be in good shape. What is wrong with the engine in it now that you want to swap it out?

54delray and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  15. upload_2018-10-8_11-29-28.jpeg

Congratulations on your find it looks real solid but what you have is a sedan and not a coupe. The coupes have a short rear side glass like my car. HRP

[​IMG]

16. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking start !
    Have fun but be safe

17. the-rodster

the-rodster

All it takes is some elbow grease......

Shoebox Before and After.jpg

18. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

Ahhhhhh, now I remember what I don't like about this site. Always thought a two door=coupe.

19. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Maybe that came out wrong. I thought rodster was very nice.
    He may have saved you some money and trouble as some coupe and sedan parts are different.

21. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. ..........Don't feel bad. It's a very common mistake.

23. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Gene Barry makes this same mistake.
    This forever cemented the 50 Ford as a hot rod and my favorite for me since I was a kid. I've had two.

24. Perhaps my favorite movie of all time. Must have seen it a hundred times since 1958.:D

25. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that's the one that got me hooked on shoeboxes... Scan0034.jpg

26. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1. isn't that '57 the same car doolin dies in at the end? 2. notice how it becomes a cheaper model when it goes off the edge? gotta love it, though. i've had 4 'boxes!

27. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

28. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

29. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR