Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Chrysler Spitfire straight 8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billybillyjinx, Dec 12, 2010.

1. polysphericalFury59

polysphericalFury59
    from Alton, IL

I do have a Motors Manual for the 323.5 with specs and dimensions, so let me know if you need anything.
    Also, while working on my distributor I've seemed to loose the timing. The balancer has 2 timing flats with degree marks. I don't know which one to use. They are both rusty so my next step is to clean them off with a wire wheel. I might of moved my collar on my distributor.
    I Do have a Mallory nos 6V coil that I might part with

2. polysphericalFury59

polysphericalFury59
    from Alton, IL

I talked a buddy of mine and we were thinking you could use a late 50's mopar bell housing it might bolt right up. If my 323.5 was out of the car i could test the theory

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There are certain old time hop up tricks that apply to any engine. Mill the head for more compression, multi carbs, split exhaust manifold or header, dual exhaust, recurved ignition, reground cam, shim the valve springs and one most people forget - shaving the flywheel for whippier acceleration. On the old Chrysler you can get the same effect by draining off some of the oil from the Fluid Drive. This has an effect similar to a high stall speed torque converter.

2 other things that are especially important on a long stroke motor, modern low tension piston rings for less friction, and balance the engine.

4. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

Crate 350 my arse. Why on earth would you create a white elephant? With a lesser engine, less. I love how chevy guys so fervently believe their motors to be superior, lol. For the same money as that Generic Motors powerplant swap, you could infuse some later model chrysler badassery into that machine. A Magnum based 408 stroker will smoke that wimpy LS for nearly the same money and carry the correct DNA for the car.

5. Perry.....I think you've missed Richs point, which was that hipo "catalog" parts for the Chrysler straight 8 are not to be found in a catalog..........as for using a crate 350 , his comment would equally apply to using any mopar V8.............andyd

Frankie47 likes this.
  6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes. I think that went right over Perry's head. It's not always easy to communicate. PS here is a picture of my friend Dave Dozier's Winter Nationals class winning Chrysler eight. Dave would later go 250 mph with a blown Chrysler eight at Bonneville. So they will run for someone who knows what they are doing. Sadly Dave is no longer with us to guide the masses. Dave Dozier 8 cyliner.JPG

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.