Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49 Chevy truck rear - 5 lug disc conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny49, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Johnny49

Johnny49

Amateur hour continues up here on the hill... We have the 5 lug disc brake conversion kit installed up front, now looking for the easiest way to do the same on the rear. Is there a later 5 lug axle that we can just grab from the junk yard and swap in? And do we need a proportioning valve with discs all around? Thanks for tolerating this old hacker. As I've always said, I know just enough to get myself in trouble... lol

2. 4x4 S-10 rearend

3. aaggie

aaggie

No direct swap rear axle shaft by itself, you would need to convert to an open drive setup. A proportioning vale allows you to adjust the brake pressure so the rear brakes don't lock up before the fronts. Not absolutely necessary but is nice to have.

4. squirrel

squirrel

No need to go with disk brakes on the rear of an old pickup. And as they said, swap in a later rearend, from a little truck or a car.

5. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Camaro (80) will fit but is just a little narrow. 8 in. wheels will slightly rub inner fender. also if I remember right you will need to make a new locator hole for axle pad on those trucks....I think.

6. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

On my 53 Pick Up I used a 70’s Chevelle rear end, width was just right but they are drum not disc. Go to Pic A Part with your width measurements and start looking. Of course American cars are getting scarce at self serve wrecking yards.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As has been said, no need for discs in the rear. An S10 4x4 rear will do the trick. If high horsepower, and circa 1976-ish Camaro rear will work.

8. Johnny49

Johnny49

Thanks for the help, guys! Much appreciated...