Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Chevy Pickup rear axle size....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ChevTruck, Oct 14, 2011.

1. I know there has probably been many people asking this question but all of the older posts I have read never seem to give a definite answer.......

So anyone out there know the exact size rear axle I would need to use (hub to hub measurements)?

2. Around 61" I believe stock is 61.5", but dont quote me.

Gen 3 camaro is a popular swap.
    Some guys use the explorer 8.8 or the 4x4 s10. I think they are both a little narrow though.

3. 61 or 62 will work, you can run an 8 inch wide rim with them
    full-size GM cars (Impalas, Olds Deltas, etc.) have those rears but you need to remove all the coil spring/trailing arm brackets...but they are cheap.

4. Thanks guys, i've been offered a 85 Trans Am/Firebird axle which the guy has measured at 61" came out of a v8 car with 700r4 box any idea's what ratio gears would be in that?

I'm going 350/383 700r4 for that added gear for highway use....16x8 steels white wall tires on air bags....well thats the idea anyway!

5. probly around a 3:50, just what you'd need.