Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 chevy pick up & s-10 5 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v8 Bake, Mar 29, 2008.

1. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

I must be stupid because I tried to search it and couldn't find any thing. I know it has been talked about a lot. Any way I have a bone stock 49 truck that I would like to put my s-10 t5 in.I know I will have to put a cross member under the trans.but I am wanting to know about bolting it to the babbot beater.The truck has a 3 speed in it now. I tried to gear it up to get some speed out of it but then it is hard on the clutch to take off.The truck has 34000 miles on it and drives like a dream.Any info would be great.I am sure I could figure it out my self but your knowedge could save me a lot of work. Thanks
    Joe

2. Ornery37

Ornery37
    from Texas

do you still have the torque tube drive shaft/rear? If so you will need another rear and go with an open drive shaft. I got an 11 inch clutchdisk with the 14 spline from a local speed shop (I think it was a centerforce brand)

Not sure on chevy torque tube but I think people are getting the Jeep cherokee 5-speeds and adapting to the torque tube so that they can keep it.
    Hope this helps

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I put a T-5 in my 37 and did not put a crossmember under the rear of the trans,I did get rid of the torque tube but the original rear can be retained by welding on perches and using late 50s to mid 60s center section to get rid of the torque tube and get better gears and still use the original wheels. Jeff

4. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

I will most likely change the rear end but the enclosed drive shaft ends at the carrier bearing,the rear end yolk is open.Thanks for the link.This truck is a whole new ball game compared to my model a sedan.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You must have a 3/4 ton.