Well, I'm finally getting around to posting an update for those of you that have been following along on the '49 Chevy Fastback that I'm building. If you haven't been following it, then here are links to all the previous threads in reverse order: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225392 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208995 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202209 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184711 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179977 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168229 Since the last update I have been doing a lot of the mechanical side of the work that the car needed, so I'm not going to post pics of that. I am however going to post pics of the work I did to the rear of the car, which is almost finished now. It took me quite a while to decide on a set of taillights to use on this car. There just weren't a whole lot of options for lights that wouldn't end up looking out of place. My initial thought was to use '54 Packard Clipper, and I even went so far as to buy Packard bezels. But after holding them up to the car and looking at them, I decided that they would be too large for this car. My next thought was '51 Frasier taillights like on Frank Livingston's fastback, and the Barris-built Dan Landon Coupe...but I couldn't find a pair, much less a good pair. As luck would have it though, in the process of looking for the Frasier taillights, I stumbled across a decent pair of '51 Kaiser taillights on ebay, and decided they might look good on the car. Once I had them in hand, I knew that they were what I was looking for. I figured I would just have to make a pair of housings for the taillights to sit in....which was going to take some time. But by another stroke of luck, I managed to find a fellow with a '51 Kaiser that was willing to cut of the rear portion off the quarter panels! What are the chances of that?!? So here's what I had to start with....these and the lights themselves. Getting them to fit the Fleetline now was going to be a pretty large task. I started wittling away the Kaiser quarter panel sections until I got them down to a point where it looked like they fit the Chevy, and tacked them on. As you can see in the pic above, I had also started to fill the original Chevy bumper recess to work with the '56 Ford rear bumper. I taped a piece of wire to the top of the quarter to see how the line was going to fall with the shape of the new lights...and I ended up moving the lights a couple more times until I got them to where they looked best. Now that the Kaiser quarter section was tacked in the right spot, I had to fab a new piece that would take up the space between the stock Chevy quarter and the taillight. Tacked in place... The inside had to have a couple of relief cuts made to suck in close to the body. Now I had to make another filler piece to go on the top/inside. This piece would have to have a compund curve, so I beat the shit out of a piece of 19 gauge until it fit pretty nicely. I don't have a planishing hammer or english wheel, so I used the hammers laying on the ground in the pic backed up with assorted hammer forms and dollies. Tacked in place... The pieces are overlapped during mock-up...then after everything is tacked to where it won't move, I cut around the pieces with a cut-off tool and remove the underlying pieces from the inside a little at a time...hammer welding as I go. When it's finished, there are no overlapping or double panels. Everything is butt-welded in order to hammer and dolly it out as smooth as possible. Time consuming, but it works. Weldin' it up... Weld, hammer...weld, hammer..repeat... The next pic is not for the faint of heart. This car had always had a fucked-up trunk gap, so I went ahead and fixed it on both sides of the trunk while I was doing the taillights. This took nearly as long as doing the taillights themselves. After more welding, a lot of hammering, and some filing...Viola! I think the taillights fit the rear of the car pretty well... Before I could call it day however, I still had a few more things to attend to at the rear.