Register now to get rid of these ads!

'49 Chevy Fastback Custom Update #5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Sep 16, 2007.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

A nose transplant -- what a great idea. What will you use for a grille?

2. krupanut

krupanut

Damn Bass, that's gonna be my new favorite car.

3. inspired to finally start chopping on my 49 pontiac streamliner!!been searching for ways to chop other than cutting down the top of rear fenders and laying trunk lid down. i didnt like the way it changes the lines of the rear of car, totally got excited when i stumbled onto your chop pics!!!going to start in a couple of weeks on chop, will post some pics of progress and would like to get your feedback and some advise as i go along!!!thank you

4. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Love the progress...looks killer...fantastic metal skills!

All we need now is someone to take a Merc and graft on '49 Chevy parts, and then the universe will collapse upon itself! :D

5. I'd love to kiss your ass and suck up to you and tell how awsome it looks and blah blah blah! But,believe it or not. I'm finding it hard to come up with the words that would properly express my amazement with your metalworking skills! I've seen some of the best metal workers over the years and can honestly say that what you've done is right up there with the great ones! Many of the old guys would just cover up their work with a bunch of bondo and a fancy paint job. You never saw the metal work in the process. You never really appreciate the finished product as much unless you can follow the journey. Hat's off to you Bass...and the gloves,the hood,hammer and dolly,etc,etc...just amazing!!!

6. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

I saw it in person this weekend at the Lonestar Nationals............DAMN!

That is going to be a car to remember. Sorry I couldn't get you closer to the show, but I saw plenty of people drooling over it anyway.

8. HoldFast

HoldFast

This is truly incredible work. Great use of talent.

9. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks for trying anyway, Kirk. I wish I could have had the car further along so that it could have been in the show, but I think the swap meet spot was an acceptable compromise. The body has only been back on the chassis for like 4 months now, so I'm lucky to have it as far along as it is since I work by myself.

I finally took some pictures of it while I had it outside, so I guess I'll go ahead and add those here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't get a dead-on profile shot because of where the car was parked, so this will have to do for now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next on the to-do list is to put the taillights in, make the floater grille bar, tune up the fit of some of the gaps, and hammer and dolly out the rough-ass lower quarters, along with the assorted other metalfinishing that needs done.

Thanks again guys...

-Brian

10. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks....

The grille is going to be a floater bar made from some Henry J and '51 Ford pieces...maybe a few other things thrown into the mix as well...not sure yet.

Still toying with the idea of using another '50 Merc surround flipped upside-down in the front to make more of an oval "mouth"....not sure about that yet either.

11. malkintent

malkintent

amazing even better in da sun light

12. Stunning work! You, sir, are a true artisan. HAMBers will be anxiously awaiting the final product.

13. Un-F#^*%-believeable! I love it. So many details I can look at this beauty forever. Thanks for sharing!!

Klaus

14. That is just so "right". You hit the absolute perfect note with the whole nose treatment. Finally - a fastback that doesn´t look like its driving uphill.

As other have said - words fail me.

15. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

ooh!! dassa lotta work!!!
    dan

16. Bass, will you have my children?

I'm a dude too, so I'm not sure how it'll work out, but after seeing that sweet metalwork, you can probably figure out a way! ;)

Looking very, VERY nice. Love your work.

17. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Your work is amazing Bass !:eek: the kar look fucking kool ! she look so kool it's almost unbelievable anybody had done before !

I'm looking at the 3/4 front pic, and i had to suggest you some flared fenders from a 52 Ford ...i think it would work with that Packard trim too ...or let say some 51 packard flared fenders...sure it will work with the trim ! :D

just my 2 p...:eek:

18. Kopperhead

Kopperhead

AMAZING!!! You have both the skills to perform the job and the design skills to pick parts and shape them to look great together.

19. Great job Brian!!

Every now and then I check in here and love to see shit like this!

Gotta love that car!

20. GrantH

GrantH

IT doesn't get better than this!

21. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Looks good man it almost looks like you know what your doing. That thing is gonna be bad ass.

22. Fantastic job. I did not read all the replies, but the ones I did read were really impressed.
    I used to ride in one of those with my Uncle when I was a kid. I seem to remember they refered to that style as a "Fishback". Did chevy have a name for this style?

23. cole

cole

Super Bad , Shes the nicest Fastback ever.

I like every thing youv done, Bravo- CF

24. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

damn Brian....this car is well thought out and crafted. I keep drooling over he nose and hood. Pure art.

25. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

You should tell people its a really RARE Merc Fleetline.....

I just cant stop looking at these pics man.

26. thesupersized

thesupersized

coming out awesome...everytime i look at the pictures and see the scoops, i feel the need to pick up a little book! car looks dead on, right out of the little pages!

27. Olson

Olson

Wow.

Just wow.

Stellar, Brian.

28. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

I think that's a very good idea, however, having a slight bent for the streamlined (as in Bonneville/drylakes) look, I'm thinking it looks damn good the way it is ... smooth and silky. Whichever way it goes, I'm sure it will look awesome. Can't wait to see that grill. It sounds like it's going to fit the "smooth" idea.
    I sure wish I could see it in the steel. db

29. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Hey Brian, (or Cole). Wanna fastback my Studebaker? I've got the ideas but not the skills....yet.db

30. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

Brian that is what customizing is about, love it.